Would you have survived 200 years ago?

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    No. I would have died of cancer 3 years ago.
  • Coltsforlife
    Options
    yep!!
  • RachelStidd
    RachelStidd Posts: 1,102
    Options
    yes! im a farm girl and love being outside!
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i'd imagine so. I've gone without gas, electricity, and water before for extended periods of time(4-6 months), i can crochet, sew, cook, grow a garden, start a fire, and protect myself and others.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    So 1814? I'd probably have the same profession. I'd miss modern medicine though.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    270 years would be better...especially if there were a JAMMF awaiting me! Swoon! :love:
    Actually, I would lose my mind if I didn't have ready access to toilet paper. :tongue:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If I traveled back in time right now? No - I wouldn't. I'm too spoiled by modern things like air conditioning and tampons.

But starting over 200 years ago? Sure! Probably.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Could I have survived without the modern amenities.... Yes! I have no doubts.

Would I have survived through the birth of my son? Maybe, but he would not have so. I am thankful for the fact I live now, and not then.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Sure why not? I'd do the same thing as now, Soldier in the US Army. Well there was the War of 1812, so could get killed that way. Or just get sick because of lack of decent medical care.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Probably living out in the middle of nowhere, i'd be skinny for sure lol. My dad would totally make it, he's halfway to mountain man as it is and loves that era of history.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    They would have reprised witch burning just for me I'm sure of it :smokin:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Nope. Too many medical issues that would have gone untreated. Or for which is treatment was worse than the disease.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I could certainly give it a good fight, but childbirth would have killed me long before cancer.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Probably; like many others on here, I would be able to do the same profession that I have spent most of my adult life doing and much of my life has been spent in austere conditions for long periods of time. Keep in mind though that for many of us we are at the top end or have exceeded life expectancy.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Physically yes, but knowing "my place" as a woman? Ha ha NO, I don't know when to shut up now.:laugh:
  • calcolindo
    calcolindo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    270 years would be better...especially if there were a JAMMF awaiting me! Swoon! :love:
    Actually, I would lose my mind if I didn't have ready access to toilet paper. :tongue:

JAMMF is what prompted this discussion in the first place... but since the premise for that was 200 years I decided to go with it instead of the more complicated 270...

As for my answers...
    1) I could survive fairly well in the woods
    2) I'm vegetarian but if that didn't end up killing me my outspokeness would probably get me in trouble
    3) I'd want as many antibiotics as I could get my hands on... or a Diva Cup :P one of those two things...
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I could totally survive since I know how to hunt, fish, camp, make a fire from scratch (might take a while...), etc, but likely many ladies have mentioned, childbirth was a 50% crap-shoot for dying, and my personality and distaste for most things "domestic" makes me a poor choice for traditional female roles back then.

Luckily, the Wild Wild West was a "thing" during that time and I would have made an AMAZING Brothel Madam, Gold rush (it was a bit later, but still) storeowner, Pioneer wife, Squatter, rancher wife, or maybe even a Outlaw...

I would WELCOME the lack of computer-related technology, even though I'm fairly techno-savvy (and addicted).
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    So 1814? I'd probably have the same profession. I'd miss modern medicine though.

And sadly, I'd be relegated to being a midwife, with no hope of an MD.

Bet you wouldn't miss malpractice insurance.... ;)
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    yes! im a farm girl and love being outside!

Well I'd be a slave, so the above wouldn't be quite so whimsical as it sounds. If the topic of going back in time comes up in conversation, the first thing I ask is "Would I still be Black?"

If I retained my skills/knowledge as a physician, I might get to be a midwife or house slave. Lucky me!