22 year old waitress trying to get fit and in shape :)

Options
Hi y'all! I am currently working as a waitress and will be finishing my college bachelors degree soon but have a horrible time following through with fitness. I continuously start a gym membership, personal training, or start on online program and don't continue with it past two weeks. I am hoping MFP can help me change that as I am trying to help motivate others and find help motivating me as well.

Nutrition is becoming easy to me (I used to eat HORRIBLY) but it is the finding time before work to exercise when I just want to sleep that is the main problem. Feel free to add me as a friend :) the more the merrier :)

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    hi :)

You need a gym buddy. My wife literally drags me off to gym lol

Good luck.
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I could never be a waitress and try and lose weight! Being surrounded by food would be the worst kind of torture :P unless it was food I didn't like i spose...
  • NastyNinja
    Options
    I don't know if this is possible, but you could turn your everyday life into a workout. Try finding time during work to do some type of workout. Or if you think people will look at your weird, just force yourself to make extra work for yourself that keeps you moving even more than usual. I know a waitress is one of the hardest jobs on the planet, so might not be easy. that might help some. It is all about calories burning anyway. Of course it always helps to have someone to motivate you to go to the gym too. But I promise, if you give it 2 months, you will get in the habit of wanting to go to the gym.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes before: in school while waiting tables. It was a pain and not always the easiest to stay consistent. What I found worked better than anything was work out at home (calisthenics and running). Not ideal but it worked. Feel free to add me!
  • chatterbachx
    Options
    I could never be a waitress and try and lose weight! Being surrounded by food would be the worst kind of torture :P unless it was food I didn't like i spose...

Trust me it is AWFUL! Especially getting 50% off and working at a wing place :(

And thanks y'all! It is frustrating but I am trying to motivate myself and try to figure out a way to keep myself dedicated to get in the habit.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You probably burn a lot of calories doing your job. However, you're probably nibbling a lot of calories. It's a dangerous place to work. :o)

So you have the LISS cardio dealt with. Throw in some strength training and avoid eating more than you need to (which will be tricky) and you should improve your physique.
  • chatterbachx
    Options
    You probably burn a lot of calories doing your job. However, you're probably nibbling a lot of calories. It's a dangerous place to work. :o)

So you have the LISS cardio dealt with. Throw in some strength training and avoid eating more than you need to (which will be tricky) and you should improve your physique.

EXACT PROBLEM! I am doing strength training daily recently and throwing in cardio occasionally, thanks!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

EXACT PROBLEM! I am doing strength training daily recently and throwing in cardio occasionally, thanks!

I had a contract in a care home for a while. Got friendly with the chef, just because he was a friendly chap. Sadly, he took the friendship as meaning "give Darren extra treats because he's friendly, too". :laugh:
  • GatsbyBelfort
    GatsbyBelfort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you guys find it extremely difficult to waitress for a living and eat less calories?! I swear, working a ten hour shift with a thirty minute break and eating 1,800 calories with low carb percentage is a recipe for collapse/post-shift binge on chocolate cake. I struggle with this so much! The only way I get through is by snacking constantly. I feel faint, shaky and snappy and it always ends in me eating unhealthily, not logging my food from shame and then potentially binging. It's so difficult :s
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Good luck to your journey and welcome to MFP!
  • Lian98
    Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi! We're about the same age and I have the same concerns as you. Hope we can support each other :-)
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Always happy to make new friends, but l come with a word of warning

1. I log daily
    2. If you don't log in for over 10 days, your gone
    3. I like to have a laugh
    4. I speak my mind
    5. l flirt
    6. I live in the North East of UK

If after that you think you would like to get to know me better, send me a request with a message,

Are you brave enough lol ;)