who is doing low carb

Options

Replies

• MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've started. For years I've struggled with my weight, because of binge eating.

It's taken a lot of time to get myself emotionally to this place, where I think I can overcome the binges. Binge eating for me started with depression, and I have emotionally eaten ever since.

To help me avoid binge eating, I have cut down on carbs - as when I eat them I tend to want to eat more. When I say low carb, I mean under 100. I have days where I won't be under 100, and days where I keep it around 50.

I can't eat bread, White potatoes, white rice, white pasta etc. I eat lots of green, leafy veg - sometimes summer squash and sweet potato - only a smaller helping. I eat lots of lean meat and eggs aswell. I do like something sweet after my dinner, so I'll have a couple of squares of high cocoa content dark chocolate.

Feel free to add me. I've been a member for a long time, and recently have been off the radar a bit because of buying a house which we're renovating - but I have been logging every day for at least a week.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    From Iowa State. . . .human sciences. . . .

"The roles of carbohydrate in the body includes providing energy for working muscles, providing fuel for the central nervous system, enabling fat metabolism, and preventing protein from being used as energy. Carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy or fuel for muscle contraction and biologic work."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate

It's sort of pointless to post a quote without giving any explanation about why you think your quote is relevant to anything in this thread, particularly a quote that isn't self-evident. Is your contention that you cannot exercise on a low carb diet? That's nonsense. That your CNS shuts down on a low carb diet? I'd love to see the studies on that. Do you even have a point? Who knows, because you said nothing beyond posting a quote about what carbs are for at a high level.

Here too is a random quote from Iowa State:
    The energy obtained from fat plays an important role for both high intensity and endurance sports. Fat serves as the primary fuel for low intensity and long duration activities such as marathons, triathlons, and cross country skiing. In high intensity activity, where carbohydrate is the primary fuel, fat is necessary to fully release the available energy in carbohydrate.

Wow. Don't we feel enlightened? Random blurbs from Iowa State surely trump all the literature when it comes to weight loss, activity and LBM retention on low carb diets.

Sarcasm aside, should a professional athlete use a low carb diet gong into a competition? No, other than perhaps for making weight. But is that at all relevant to the average Joe or Jane looking to cut weight, up their activity level and retain lean body mass? Nope. There are plenty of strength athletes that cut using low carb diets and, of all athletes, it's the strength athletes whose anaerobic performance stands to suffer the most. Yet many have successful cuts following such diets.

Low carb is simply a tool. If it's helpful, people should potentially should use it. If it's not, they shouldn't. But leaving unrelated quotes around with no explanation about what you think said quote demonstrates, presumably in an attempt to dissuade people from using such a tool? Give me a break.

I didn't have a contention and if people use low carb as a tool fine. Yes low carb is simply a tool, but for many, they aren't really sure what it means. Since no one has defined low carb in this thread maybe you could enlighten everyone as to what low carb actually is. Is it by percentage of overall MACROS or number of grams? Personally, I've seen a wide disparity between numbers in other threads and since it is a tool what are the parameters?
  • jacklynb46
    jacklynb46 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hi...ive been doing low carb since July and i've lost 40 pounds you can add me if you want
  • jamesdavidy
    Options
    Im not going to tell you what to do all I will add is don't follow trends as we are all very different, research and experiment.

This is worth a read:
    http://news.cancerconnect.com/low-carbohydrate-diet-shows-risks-and-benefits/

In Summary
    To summarize—a low-carbohydrate may have both pros and cons, but uncertainties remain. Perhaps such a diet produces a beneficial metabolic response, but perhaps it also increases the risk of heart disease. Deeper examination of the data reveals that there are a variety of factors at play, including the importance of glycemic load.
    Neither study leads to the conclusion that carbohydrates are good or bad. In fact, in an editorial accompanying the JAMA study, George A. Bray, MD says, “Although the exact relationship between dietary composition and weight maintenance remains unclear, calorie restriction is more important than diet composition in administering weight loss regimens.”[3]
    The bottom line—we may never be able to isolate nutrients and determine the ideal diet, if in fact there is such a thing. However, common sense seems to dictate that real food—in the form of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and animal products—is the optimal foundation of a healthy diet. Balance remains the key.
    In the end, Michael Pollan may have summed it up best: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”[4]
    References:
    [1] Ebbeling CB, Swain JF, Feldman HA, et al. Effects of dietary composition on energy expenditure during weight-loss maintenance. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2012; 307(24): 2627-2634.
    [2] Lagiou P, Sandin S, Lof M, et al. Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: A prospective cohort study. British Medical Journal. 2012; 344: e4026.
    [3] Bray GA. Diet and Exercise for Weight Loss. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2012; 307(24): 2641-2642.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You need to take a potassium supplement before bed.

Proof ?

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue (ever heard of "low carb Flu"?). With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

Potassium and sodium supplementation will help. A great fix for the sodium is to drink some chicken broth.

There are some great low carb and keto support forums here on MFP.

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

For recipes -
    DJ Foodie
    I Breathe I'm Hungry
    All Day I dream About Food
    Caveman Keto

Good luck!
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From Iowa State. . . .human sciences. . . .

"The roles of carbohydrate in the body includes providing energy for working muscles, providing fuel for the central nervous system, enabling fat metabolism, and preventing protein from being used as energy. Carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy or fuel for muscle contraction and biologic work."

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate

That's a dumbed-down version for the masses who prefer not to read up on the subject...

Yes, the body needs carbs, but more specific, if needs what carbs easily convert to in the body - glycogen. That's why a low-carb diet is effective - your body uses its stored fat to make the glycogen through dietary ketosis. Duh.
  • BeattyCarolyn1964
    Options
    Hi there...feel free to add me as a friend. Just started myself two weeks ago and doing low carb. Starting exercise with 2 rounds each day. Usually have great success when I do low carb...pasta is my weakness.
  • hehlh01
    hehlh01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm actually going starch free, not carb free, since carbs are in fruits/veggies. So far I love it!
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    People still think going low carb = losing fat?

How long will it be before people wake up and understand its calories, not carbs, that sheds fat.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Proof ?

Question: If someone had said "You should eat a banana before bed," would you call for proof?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I'm not particularly low carb, but do try to eat mostly leafy green vegetables and some fruits for my carbs. I eat some brown rice, and some root vegetables, but limit my refined carbs, and foods with added sugars. Feel free to add me. I am a firm believer that low carb can be a great way to eat.

I'd also suggest joining the low carber daily forum group on here. Lots of smart and experienced low carbers there.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me how low carb gets put down so frequently here on MFP. It's not the way many here on MFP lose weight, but it does work for many people.

There are many people who lose weight better following a low carb meal plan. Low carb doesn't mean you eat butter with a side of bacon, it means you eat meats, veggies and dairy mostly. Eliminating processed junk and empty starches from one's diet is universally accepted as a move in the right direction...

I lost 120lbs about 10 years ago following low carb. I've lived basically lower carb for the past 11 years. I was pretty happy living without sugar or starch. Occasionally indulging gaining a few then relosing it again. My avatar is a before and current.

This past year I've made the transition to adding more carbs into my diet. I've decided to try to eat more carbs to fuel my workouts and am still trying to lose 10-20lbs of fat too. It's been about 3 months and I've been working out hard, lifting 3x a week and cardio 2-3times a week too. Running a caloric deficit but with higher carbs than I did for years-and I'm up about 5 lbs! But the weight training has done great things for me. I'm hoping my body will eventually decide to lose some more fat given enough time...but truthfully going back to LC is always in the back of my mind. I didn't dislike living LC, but I wanted the freedom to indulge here and there in carbs yumminess and not gain 5 lbs overnight.

Many here lose just fine by reducing their calories. It's not working for me, and maybe it's because I'm hypothyroid and hormonally off, but LC has been my best weight loss meal plan. Ymmv... Good luck!!

the up 5 pounds after adding carbs back in is water weight. your muscles store glucose and the glucose is stored with a certain amount of water. when we first go on a low carb diet the first 5-7 pounds lost is water from the body burning up the glucose stores. in the liver and muscles

To the OP. I'm on low carb currently. it seems to be the only thing that really works for me. the carb cravings go away... I am a grazer.

I'm not one of the people who go on the super low restriction though. I try to keep it at 50 net carbs or so. sometimes I hit as high as 70 but it's usually by accident.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a contention and if people use low carb as a tool fine. Yes low carb is simply a tool, but for many, they aren't really sure what it means. Since no one has defined low carb in this thread maybe you could enlighten everyone as to what low carb actually is. Is it by percentage of overall MACROS or number of grams? Personally, I've seen a wide disparity between numbers in other threads and since it is a tool what are the parameters?

So it was truly an arbitrary quote you just left in this thread with no rhyme or reason behind it? Interesting.

As for defining it, it seems to mean something different to different people. Sort of like "clean eating."
  • sungvars
    sungvars Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I keep it between 20-40 net carbs a day and love this way of eating. It's no longer a diet, but a life style now... :smile:
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been following low carb, moderate protein, high healthy fats way of eating. I started at 322lb 10 weeks ago, I have lost 43lb since then down to 279lb. I keep my total Carbs under 40g most days. I started doing this for medical reasons but am pleased it has enabled me to lose weight too. Yes it still requires a calorie deficit to lose weight. This way of eating helps me stick to calorie deficit because it has killed my cravings.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well, there are obviously several people who lack a lot of knowledge of low carb diets and how it works. Yes carbs are energy....when you eat a higher carb diet. When you eat low carb your body uses fat for energy.

I eat low carb/keto/long term induction right now. I first found the low carb way of eating a few years ago and lost alot of weight. I maintained the loss for awhile (YES I did eat bread, fruit, cookies, and cake again) and then I got pregnant with my son and all sense of portion control went out the window. Which brings me to where I am now. I have tried to stick to just low calorie, lower carbs...but Im hungry and then eventually I binge which leads me to a few months of just not eating or caring.

Im sticking to low carb again because it curbs my hunger and I eat less...which leads to a calorie deficit which leads to weight loss! I'm eating more veggies that I would have on a low calorie diet and more protein.

And for someone wanting a definition of low carb...it really is different for everyone. I consider 20-30g of low carb, others might say under 100g....I don't see how not having a specific number is needed for it to still be a tool for weight loss? That makes zero sense? Also, for many low carb eaters, since calorie goals vary, its the RATIO of fats/proteins/carbs that make a difference. Which also varies from person to person as far as what they choose or aim for. It's experimenting and finding out how many carbs is too many because they might feel hungry all day.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Proof ?
    Because while eating low carb you need to make sure you're taking in sodium, potassium, and magnesium to prevent cramping........

So either take a supplement (which...eh....I wouldn't do), or make sure you're eating enough of it in your foods. A lot of low carb dieters use a salt alternative like Nu Salt which is potassium chloride.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm chiming in late, but I've been doing keto for over a year now. Started out at 165 and am hovering around 135-140 most days(less to lose, means it takes forever to come off!). We low-carbers do exist on this board, but sometimes we get drowned out by naysayers.
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sent you a FR :)

5-6 days a week I do moderately low carb , 20-50 net carbs a day. On my cheat day, I still don't go much over 100 g a day.
    I am celiac, so that cuts a lot of carb laden stuff out by default, but the gluten free analogues are still pretty high carb, but harder to come by unless I make them myself, so I save it for special occasions.
  • jacemayhew
    jacemayhew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just starting again and need to do low carb as well! Please ad me as I can use all the help as carbs are my weakness!!!