Success Stories from Group Fitness/Exercise Classes

Options
Hi guys,

Starting a new workout routine. I recently signed up for the rec center at my gym and I'm really enjoying their workout classes. Right now I'm doing a combination of Spin and BodyPump classes at the gym with some Les Mills Combat at home (I have the DVD's). I'll likely try to throw in a different class every other week like their Cardio Party, Vinyasa Yoga and Insanity to keep things interesting. I'd love to hear some people's success stories and see before/after pics of those who've had success losing weight from group classes, particularly if you've done Spin and BodyPump, but happy to hear from anyone!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• miwadlington
    miwadlington Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have any before or after pics... I have been trying to lose weight for quite a while now, but I think I finally found the formula / determination to actually see results. Three weeks ago, I changed my working out routine from 1-2 times a week to 4 days a week... I also properly adusted my calorie intake... For the record I DISPISE working out. I really do. Then I discovered this Cardio Funk Group Fitness class at my gym. I fell in LOVE!! Never have I walked out of a class smiling from ear to ear, but tired. When I got home I was so energetic... I didn't have a training session scheduled until later in the week, so I wanted to find something else to motivate me... So I started attending a CXWORKS class during my lunch break on Tuesdays.

Well, long story short, after adding 3 Group fitness classes in my schedule each week in additional to my personal trianer sessions, I have been able to maintain mine and the doctors goal of 4 days a week, at least 30 minutes. In 3 weeks I have lost 9lbs!! I haven't done any type of dramatic dieting either. Just exercising, monitoring my calories and just having fun w/ it.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't have a success story yet but I did start spin last week and I absolutely love it. I also enjoy body pump but I spin is giving me such a good feeling of accomplishment with my workouts. Last week I worked out five days three days doing spin and the other two days walking/bike ridding and I am down a few pounds that I had gained the week before so that has me at where I was. I think it's going to work just make sure you measure just in case your scale doesn't move and you get discouraged. The scale is the devil!
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! Looking forward to seeing results myself hopefully soon :-) Good luck with your workouts.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba and drums alive since July and have lost 27lbs (along with diet) and over 11 inches. I love it and most times it doesn't even feel like exercise. Our Zumba instructor is going to be adding a sculpting portion to a class so I hope to tone soon. It also is fun because you see a lot of the same people and forge some friendships.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I did group classes for a while- zumba, body pump, and one other that had resistance bands. I found that the classes became super repetitive after a short while. It's the same music, the same moves, etc. They're all just cardio. When I do cardio, I like to go faster or further every now and again, slowly increasing my speed/endurance. Classes aren't really good for that. Also, there are a ton of injuries that come from a lot of the repetitive moves, like "Zumba heel."
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did group classes for a while- zumba, body pump, and one other that had resistance bands. I found that the classes became super repetitive after a short while. It's the same music, the same moves, etc. They're all just cardio. When I do cardio, I like to go faster or further every now and again, slowly increasing my speed/endurance. Classes aren't really good for that. Also, there are a ton of injuries that come from a lot of the repetitive moves, like "Zumba heel."

Wow, it sounds like you had a bad experience with group classes. But you shouldn't discourage someone else from trying them.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love group classes. I used to go to the gym and do the treadmill and elliptical machine and was bored to death. I started with a Zumba class and now all I do is classes: Zumba, turbo kick, muscle works (which is all weights) and PiYo strength class. I love them because I don't have to think about what to do, the instructor tells you what to do. The music is great and the instructors switch the workouts after 6-8 weeks. They also ask for our input or suggestions on how to improve if needed. If I get bored with a class or instructor, I just find another class. I go to Club Fitness and they have plenty of classes to choose from. I've been going for a few years and managed to lose a significantly, noticeable amount of weight. I'm in the middle of buying a new wardrobe because of the significant weight loss. I've actually lost more than my ticker indicates, too lazy to fix it.
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know with BodyPump the instructor just started a new routine and said we'd be doing it for the next 2-3 weeks, so I imagine she switches things up fairly often. I do find I push myself harder in a class and I'm varying my routine each week, taking spin from different instructors who's routines, music and personalities are all very different. I'll likely try to add in a Yoga class maybe twice a month as well as my at home Les Mills Combat workouts. Hoping this helps beat the boredom but I do find myself more attentive and motivated in classes than when I do workouts by myself in the gym. I too get bored to death with the treadmill and elliptical. I guess we'll see what happens! It's nice to hear that some of you have had success sticking to them and losing weight though :-)
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I actually went to a spin class today and had a great time! I haven't been attending classes just running and lifting on my own, but I am going to incorporate a few classes just to spice it up a little!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Wow, it sounds like you had a bad experience with group classes. But you shouldn't discourage someone else from trying them.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm just offering an alternate view. I still go to an occasional zumba class for fun, but it's not enough for what my goals are. I need strength training and progressively harder cardio. Group classes are usually designed to have a low learning curve so that anyone can join in, which means that they do not typically get harder, although some instructors may provide more variety than others.

I brought up injuries because group instructors typically do not go through a demonstration of dangerous ways to move (like, in some zumba moves, it's really easy to hurt your back, knees, or heels if you don't know any better). In the same way that it's a good idea to review form/common mistakes before starting a strength program, it's a good idea to do some research on injuries for group classes. I found that body pump instructors are more conscientious of possible injury-inducing moves, like tucking your elbows and putting your knees over your feet.
  • fitnessqueeninnyc
    Options

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm just offering an alternate view. I still go to an occasional zumba class for fun, but it's not enough for what my goals are. I need strength training and progressively harder cardio. Group classes are usually designed to have a low learning curve so that anyone can join in, which means that they do not typically get harder, although some instructors may provide more variety than others.

I brought up injuries because group instructors typically do not go through a demonstration of dangerous ways to move (like, in some zumba moves, it's really easy to hurt your back, knees, or heels if you don't know any better). In the same way that it's a good idea to review form/common mistakes before starting a strength program, it's a good idea to do some research on injuries for group classes. I found that body pump instructors are more conscientious of possible injury-inducing moves, like tucking your elbows and putting your knees over your feet.

I totally agree with your assessment. I think the key to participating in group classes is variety. Also, you should definitely do your own strength/cardio training a few times a week, in addition to group classes. Once a class becomes too repetitive/monotonous and yes, this will eventually occur, it's time to find a new challenge. Once you've developed a certain conditioning level, your body needs to continue to test it's limits (so to speak). If strength and fat loss are your goals, you have to trick your body constantly to continue seeing results... Follow instructors that understand good form and intensity levels but most of all, HAVE FUN!!
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I enjoy classes - Kettlebell, spinning etc - the classes at my gym have tons of variation so I think it depends on which gym you go to - as it's a lot of the same people and they listen to feedback etc I think they have taken care to mix the exercises up
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!