Would you have survived 200 years ago?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Point taken. So 200 years ago, people of color would be worse off than they are today, in most circumstances.

I'm lucky I'm white, both today and if I was born 200 years ago.

I would assume so as it was during slave times in America. *shrug*
    I am neither I guess I am screwed. :ohwell:
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Possibly. We're kind of into prepping and I have a loooong list of skills I want to learn to increase my chances of survival (archery, how to prepare and preserve meat, candlemaking, field medicine, knitting and spinning, growing a garden in the semi-desert I live in, foraging). 200 years ago really wasn't THAT uncivilized if you think about it - we just didn't have all the gadgets we have now. I think the medicine issues is the biggest. Beyond that, I bet we'd adapt much more quickly than we fear.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would have died in childbirth delivering my first son. It was bad enough WITH the help of medicine. Without those blood transfusions I would have bled to death and he would have died right along side me..err.. in me, I guess :( Sad topic is sad.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    yes! im a farm girl and love being outside!

Well I'd be a slave, so the above wouldn't be quite so whimsical as it sounds. If the topic of going back in time comes up in conversation, the first thing I ask is "Would I still be Black?"

If I retained my skills/knowledge as a physician, I might get to be a midwife or house slave. Lucky me!

why would you have to be in America though?

People of color were treated like crap all over back in those days.

People of color are still treated like crap all over... including in America.

First of all, which color? Brown, as in Latino? They're doing pretty well in South and Central America and the Iberian peninsula. Yellow, as in Oriental? They're doing pretty well in Asia.
    Black? Then.... as of today,
    Where is this all over of which you speak? South Africa, yes. Portions of the United States, yes. The majority of Africa, no.
  • climbinghigh88
    Options
    most definitely!

apart from having the desire to live and thrive,
    creative thinking, adaptability, innovative, eager to learn, good communication skills, hard working, caring, patient....etc.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know how to trap hogs. I can make my own long bow and hunt with it. I tan fur and snare-trap fur bearing animals. I can make clothing from said fur. I weave baskets and hats. I know how to make my own lye for soap. I know how to purify lard. I raise livestock and grow their and MY food. I know how to hand-thresh grain. I make candles from beeswax. I make bread from acorns. I eat wild plants. I can use wild plants medicinally. I make my own cough syrup and asprin. I eat raccoon and opossum. I know how to make a boat from a tree and fishing line from deer intestines. I know how to cook snake, and how to make a bird trap for doves and cardinals. I have used horses to plow. I know how to castrate livestock for fattening.

With the exeption of this computer and electricity, I AM living 200years in the past.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'd die. Because I can't keep my big fat mouth shut. They'd kill me for obstinance.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You're so much cooler than me it hurts. But since you're my friend I think some of it rubs off on me LOL
    I know how to trap hogs. I can make my own long bow and hunt with it. I tan fur and snare-trap fur bearing animals. I can make clothing from said fur. I weave baskets and hats. I know how to make my own lye for soap. I know how to purify lard. I raise livestock and grow their and MY food. I know how to hand-thresh grain. I make candles from beeswax. I make bread from acorns. I eat wild plants. I can use wild plants medicinally. I make my own cough syrup and asprin. I eat raccoon and opossum. I know how to make a boat from a tree and fishing line from deer intestines. I know how to cook snake, and how to make a bird trap for doves and cardinals. I have used horses to plow. I know how to castrate livestock for fattening.

With the exeption of this computer and electricity, I AM living 200years in the past.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Well I'd be a slave, so the above wouldn't be quite so whimsical as it sounds. If the topic of going back in time comes up in conversation, the first thing I ask is "Would I still be Black?"

If I retained my skills/knowledge as a physician, I might get to be a midwife or house slave. Lucky me!

First of all, which color? Brown, as in Latino? They're doing pretty well in South and Central America and the Iberian peninsula. Yellow, as in Oriental? They're doing pretty well in Asia.
    Where is this all over of which you speak? South Africa, yes. Portions of the United States, yes. The majority of Africa, no.

Every race and ethnicity gets treated like crap somewhere. Not everywhere, but "all over" as in many different places. As you point out, there are places where certain races or ethnicities are not treated like crap. I'm not going to go into so much detail as to make you a map for each race and each ethnicity with every village or region where they are treated like crap. Broadly speaking, they are. You can disagree if you wish, and I support free speech so that is alright, but I'm not going to spend time arguing with you.

PS: You forgot native peoples, for example: American Indians and Eskimos... I'm not sure there is any place this group is thriving, even on reservations.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Every race and ethnicity gets treated like crap somewhere. Not everywhere, but "all over" as in many different places. As you point out, there are places where certain races or ethnicities are not treated like crap. I'm not going to go into so much detail as to make you a map for each race and each ethnicity with every village or region where they are treated like crap. Broadly speaking, they are. You can disagree if you wish, and I support free speech so that is alright, but I'm not going to spend time arguing with you.

PS: You forgot native peoples, for example: American Indians and Eskimos... I'm not sure there is any place this group is thriving, even on reservations.
    thiisook a strange turn....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Edited because internet connection caused double-post.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'm not tech. heavy, I don't even use a smart phone. I have a mechanical engineering degree and a physics degree, and I can hunt/fish. I would have a tough time without modern hygiene products, but those aren't a "necessity" to surviving.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would be dying/dead from my infected gall bladder that I had removed last month during emergency surgery.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

thiisook a strange turn....

basically I just think it's odd that so many people too something like a topic on survival prior to modern conveniences and took it to a level of racism, slavery, and not having medications for their depression, which is a common 'first world' problem.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was going to be totally non PC and say...Im black, I think I need to stay right here in 2014, but I see someone got to that one first LoL!!

Okay though, to answer the question... I'm a fast learner and super resourceful, Macgyver could have been my father if he wasnt a fictional character ;) You can plunk me down anywhere, in a posh condo in the city, or a cabin the woods and I'll find a way to be happy. So from that alone, I'd probably make it.

My downside? I think a lot, have a lot of wild ideas and say the darnest thing sometimes (all the time)...nowadays, Im seen as quirky, an out of the box thinker and intelligent...but 200 years ago, I probably would have gotten a lobotomy or burned at the stake or something.

Yeah, 2014 is good for me all around hehehe!!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Given that I am 3 generations removed from Teepee (Tipi) life... and that My Grandmother raised 6 kids alone for 3 years in a canvas tent on the bald prairie while my grandfather fought in WWII... I would say I have resilience and fortitude in my genetic code... as for my current skill set... as a hobby I work with leather... making bags, pouches, belts, moccasins etc... I also spent 17 years of my youth working "in the bush" where I learned to thrive in the outdoors... I can take the eye out of a gopher from 200 yards with a .22 and nail a bull's eye with a bow from 30 yards...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    *** Edited b/c I missed quoting a previous MFP'er who said "I wouldn't survive, I'd thrive!"

Ditto!

I only get minor colds & only every 3 years so I believe I’d fair better during plagues than others with my strong immune system, I have no desire to have kids so no fear of dying in childbirth there and I HATE cell phones!! I refuse to own one so I'd survive without the internet - too many manual chores to do anyway! :)

The downside however would be my lack of voting ability, equal rights etc. and therefore it would be almost impossible to continue doing what I do for a living, wearing a suit every day since women were kept out of business (mostly).
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Eep! I took so much time daydreaming about answering my question how Id survive, I totally missed the whole race debate that happened while I was posting.

I mean, what I said about me being black 200 years ago was totally in a light-hearted sense. But if anyone wants to get *really* serious about it...then all I can say is....I have black ancestors, obviously, and Im going to have to assume they survived, else I wouldnt be here!!! So with that reasoning, I could totally survive, regardless of the era or my race. =)
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    No, I definitely wouldn't survive 200 years ago. All my skills are related to technology. I don't know if I can live without my computer, internet, cell phone, car, and money.

Yeah, I don't know how to hunt without a gun. I'd be eaten within moments.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    most definitely! gardener, herbalist, survivalist, soldier