Vertigo + Osteoarthritis

Options
In 2006 I was diagnosed with cervical vertigo and this past summer I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis. The first condition left me jobless (took over a year to be diagnosed) and seeking safe ways to exercise, to do things that would challenge my physically without causing me to fall and potentially hurt myself.

With the new diagnosis, I am being told all sorts of things I cannot do (jog/run/mountain climbers/jumping/etc.) and I'm once again needing to redesign my fitness plan.

I really need a lot of encouragement right now. I look at this as a positive challenge, one I've faced before and overcome. I'm frustrated but also determined. I'm fortunate to have the support of my husband and loved ones but a little online support would be great too. Please add me if you want encouragement with no judgment.

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Well done on accepting the challenge, I feel for you I have experienced brief bouts of vertigo myself and it frightened me.
    My mum has arthritis and was told to do exercises using resistance bands perhaps you could look into that?
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I suffered from a round of vertigo myself. All the docs could never find a reason or cause. The neurologist they sent me to said it was caused by a virus that attacked my peripheral nervous system. When I had it (the symptoms mysteriously went away) exercising made me sick to my stomach. Mine got better on its own, I just slowed down a little. Just listened to my body. You aren't missing anything by not doing mountain climbers anymore! :) Those and burpees! The worst! I really do believe walking is the simplest and easiest form of exercise. If I do at least a 30 minute walk on the treadmill twice a day at 3.5MPH, I can do almost 10,000 steps a day.
    Good luck and don't give up!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My mum has arthritis and was told to do exercises using resistance bands perhaps you could look into that?

I have resistance bands and cords and that is definitely a part of the plan--to get some strength training into the mix using the things I have. Today I do upper body stuff and both are perfect for that. I have a harder time with the balance and lower body exercises designed for them, however. Albeit, much of that also has to do with loss of strength being in bed for most of the summer. I'm sure once I've regained some of the muscle mass, some things which are too difficult now will become easier. At least, my fingers are crossed they will.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    I suffered from a round of vertigo myself. All the docs could never find a reason or cause. The neurologist they sent me to said it was caused by a virus that attacked my peripheral nervous system. When I had it (the symptoms mysteriously went away) exercising made me sick to my stomach. Mine got better on its own, I just slowed down a little. Just listened to my body. You aren't missing anything by not doing mountain climbers anymore! :) Those and burpees! The worst! I really do believe walking is the simplest and easiest form of exercise. If I do at least a 30 minute walk on the treadmill twice a day at 3.5MPH, I can do almost 10,000 steps a day.
    Good luck and don't give up!

Treadmill! Believe it or not, that is one of the things on The List of Don'ts. I was genuinely surprised but, given the specific damage to my knees, treadmills are on the list.

But hey! Bright side! No more burpees either. LOL! Thanks for the reminder!
  • mona52bask
    mona52bask Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, what about water exercises. I love my water aerobics class. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. The water classes has helped. Good luck with everything. You have my support!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! I suffer from vertigo related to allergies, it was particularly bad this past spring (apparently my sinuses swelled and cut off my ear drainage). It's quite debilitating. I second trying out water exercises. If you get dizzy, there's no risk of falling off/into something and hurting yourself. I'm not sure if it'll work though, anything with excessive head movement is usually bad. I would recommend a stationary bike.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Hi, what about water exercises. I love my water aerobics class. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. The water classes has helped. Good luck with everything. You have my support!

That was recommended to me. I did do one class when my knee was bothering me but not too badly and it exacerbated it to the point I couldn't walk the next day. But normally it should be an option. The only problem is that there are no pools near us so it's not a viable option for daily exercise. Definitely one that I want to do again, don't get me wrong, but it will be more like a treat. So lesson learned--if you have a torn meniscus, water aerobics is not an option.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    I'm so sorry! I suffer from vertigo related to allergies, it was particularly bad this past spring (apparently my sinuses swelled and cut off my ear drainage). It's quite debilitating. I second trying out water exercises. If you get dizzy, there's no risk of falling off/into something and hurting yourself. I'm not sure if it'll work though, anything with excessive head movement is usually bad. I would recommend a stationary bike.

We have a stationary recumbent bike which is my go-to cardio right now as I try to regain the muscle support in my legs. It was pretty funny when I did the water aerobics because I actually did lose my balance a couple of times. Contrary to what one might believe, it does come with some risks but not bad ones. I bumped into someone, I knocked into a wall, and I fell face first into the water. But the water worked as a buffer so I didn't hurt myself or, more importantly, anyone else.