Would you have survived 200 years ago?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    No, I definitely wouldn't survive 200 years ago. All my skills are related to technology. I don't know if I can live without my computer, internet, cell phone, car, and money.

Yeah, I don't know how to hunt without a gun. I'd be eaten within moments.

erm..... there were guns 200 years ago.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would have been fine. I can cook and bake with fire and sew (by hand as well as the machine), both of which would give a single woman a chance at supporting herself.

If a 21st century person got sent back to the early 19th century, they would be immune to many of the diseases that ravaged people like smallpox, diptheria, tetanus, etc because of vaccines. What we would have trouble with are the ordinary bugs which our modern sanitation has caused us to lose immunity to because we have not been exposed for several generations.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    No, I definitely wouldn't survive 200 years ago. All my skills are related to technology. I don't know if I can live without my computer, internet, cell phone, car, and money.

True, but have you ever shot black powder guns? Accuracy is not their strong suit and I know really good marksmen and women who can't hit close to the bullseye when shooting a muzzleloader.
  • mccindy72
    Options

True, but have you ever shot black powder guns? Accuracy is not their strong suit and I know really good marksmen and women who can't hit close to the bullseye when shooting a muzzleloader.

Yes, I have, and if they can't hit close to the bullseye when shooting a muzzleoader they are not good marksmen and women. Shooting a muzzleoader is not much different than shooting a single shot shotgun. You have 50-150 yards to hit your target. You have one shot and it takes a while to reload, so you'd better hit the target the first time. We've taken deer and turkey with them. If they weren't accurate, people would have starved hunting with them 200 years ago.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    yes! im a farm girl and love being outside!

Well I'd be a slave, so the above wouldn't be quite so whimsical as it sounds. If the topic of going back in time comes up in conversation, the first thing I ask is "Would I still be Black?"

If I retained my skills/knowledge as a physician, I might get to be a midwife or house slave. Lucky me!

why would you have to be in America though?

People of color were treated like crap all over back in those days.

People of color are still treated like crap all over... including in America.

First of all, which color? Brown, as in Latino? They're doing pretty well in South and Central America and the Iberian peninsula. Yellow, as in Oriental? They're doing pretty well in Asia.
    Black? Then.... as of today,
    Where is this all over of which you speak? South Africa, yes. Portions of the United States, yes. The majority of Africa, no.

Every race and ethnicity gets treated like crap somewhere. Not everywhere, but "all over" as in many different places. As you point out, there are places where certain races or ethnicities are not treated like crap. I'm not going to go into so much detail as to make you a map for each race and each ethnicity with every village or region where they are treated like crap. Broadly speaking, they are. You can disagree if you wish, and I support free speech so that is alright, but I'm not going to spend time arguing with you.

PS: You forgot native peoples, for example: American Indians and Eskimos... I'm not sure there is any place this group is thriving, even on reservations.
    thiisook a strange turn....

basically I just think it's odd that so many people too something like a topic on survival prior to modern conveniences and took it to a level of racism, slavery, and not having medications for their depression, which is a common 'first world' problem.

Slavery a common first world problem? :huh: Hmm k the more you know.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Well I'd be a slave, so the above wouldn't be quite so whimsical as it sounds. If the topic of going back in time comes up in conversation, the first thing I ask is "Would I still be Black?"

If I retained my skills/knowledge as a physician, I might get to be a midwife or house slave. Lucky me!

First of all, which color? Brown, as in Latino? They're doing pretty well in South and Central America and the Iberian peninsula. Yellow, as in Oriental? They're doing pretty well in Asia.
    Where is this all over of which you speak? South Africa, yes. Portions of the United States, yes. The majority of Africa, no.

Every race and ethnicity gets treated like crap somewhere. Not everywhere, but "all over" as in many different places. As you point out, there are places where certain races or ethnicities are not treated like crap. I'm not going to go into so much detail as to make you a map for each race and each ethnicity with every village or region where they are treated like crap. Broadly speaking, they are. You can disagree if you wish, and I support free speech so that is alright, but I'm not going to spend time arguing with you.

PS: You forgot native peoples, for example: American Indians and Eskimos... I'm not sure there is any place this group is thriving, even on reservations.

basically I just think it's odd that so many people too something like a topic on survival prior to modern conveniences and took it to a level of racism, slavery, and not having medications for their depression, which is a common 'first world' problem.

Slavery a common first world problem? :huh: Hmm k the more you know.

lol no, the common overmedicated form of depression in the first world.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'd have died at birth, so no, I wouldn't have been all that useful 200 years ago.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

lol no, the common overmedicated form of depression in the first world.

Depression is real, just as diabetes is real. Samuel Johnson probably had depression. Winston Churchill had it. My great-grandfather had it so badly that he'd sit for days in a chair in the corner and not speak. It simply doesn't rise to the level of things that will kill you (unless you kill yourself).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I think it's odd that a person wouldn't consider things like that when considering a hypothetical like this. I mean, isn't the point to think about what it would be like?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I could not have survived as a pioneer or anyone that lived outside of a city. I have no skills that are applicable to 200 years ago except the fact that I'm a woman (not a skill, just stay with me). If I were suddenly transported 200 years in the past, I think I would quickly find myself among the ranks history's first profession.

I'll stay right here.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Honestly, it is only odd for you because you wouldn't have to think about things like racism and slavery and you take that for granted. I mentioned before, the first question I always ask when this hypothetical comes up is "Would I still be black?" and it has made people think-- wait, the olden days weren't so great, for reasons beyond missing modern medicine and conveniences. And if whimsical hypothetical questions sometimes make you think about more serious things, that's okay.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I think it's weird not to. It's reality. My first thought when I read the question was "I'd hate being treated as a second class citizen. I'd probably be a prostitute". Why is considering how poorly people of your race/color were treated any different?
  • mccindy72
    Options

I think it's weird not to. It's reality. My first thought when I read the question was "I'd hate being treated as a second class citizen. I'd probably be a prostitute". Why is considering how poorly people of your race/color were treated any different?

Maybe it's just odd the two sides of how people think - about half the people answered based on survival abilities, while the other half zeroed in on societal issues only,
  • earlnabby
    Options
    There are really two ways people are looking at this question: would you have survived if you had been born 200 years ago vs, would you survive if you were sent back 200 years. The OP was referring to being sent back 200 years (methinks someone has been watching "Outlander").

I am pretty sure I would have survived if I had been born 200 years ago. I come from hearty stock with very few childhood deaths. In fact, among my direct ancestors only two died before their 70's and one was an accident (the other was TB). My birth was uneventful and I haven't had any serious health complications.

Surviving if I went back 200 years? Probably but it would mostly depend on where I was able to live. I have skills that would be in demand in a city like cooking and sewing. I am also well read and have taught so getting a job as a governess would be a possibility. I am too old to get work as a prostitute but I can pull a pint with the best of them so maybe a barmaid. If I ended up in the middle of nowhere, maybe. I have some experience with survival living but I don't know if I have enough to keep me going until I got to a city.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hellz yea. I was born in Colombia. That's like tougher than being born in Sparta.
    errmm...back in the 300 times