Breakfast recipes PLEASEEEEE

Options
jennycita
jennycita Posts: 40 Member
I have started my journey for a life style change and have been able to find a crap-ton of great healthy recipes for lunch, dinner and even desserts; however, I can't seem to find much variety in breakfast recipes. I get tired of eating the same thing over and over so breakfast has proven to be difficult.

If you have any recipes to share please do!

Thanks!!

Replies

• BoutThatBass
    Options
    I like to make a breakfast frittata using dinner leftovers - basically, I take whatever's on hand (usually cooked veggies and chicken or fish or lean steak, since that's mostly what we eat for dinner), chop it up a bit, mix it up with 5-6 eggs, and then bake it in a round cake pan the oven on 375 for 20 or so minutes (basically, until the eggs "set". It's enough breakfast for a week, and I find I don't get bored because the leftovers I'm mixing in are always changing.

I also like plain greek yogurt mixed with raw almonds and honey, and plain oatmeal mixed with walnuts.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First off, take a look at this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1454383-what-do-you-eat-for-breakfast

So for breakfast this week I am eating:
    Baked beans
    sausage
    green beans
    eggs in a basket (toast with the center cut out and an egg fried in it)

By BF likes quiche. I hate quiche.

ETA: yes that's a lot of food but my other meals are very small because I am either at work or on campus.
  • amydfreund
    Options
    I learned from a Filipino friend, that once you change your "concept" of what breakfast "has" to be, then the whole world of opportunities opens up! She eats fish and rice for breakfast.. so I tried it.. tastes great! I finally convinced my husband to try "sandwiches" for breakfast and he now loves his white bread, spread of butter, slice of ham topped with fresh arugula and slice of tomato... how about that! In the bahamas they eat "boil fish" which is a breakfast fish stew with potatoes, lime and hot chili pepper along with the fish, so great!
  • jennycita
    jennycita Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I learned from a Filipino friend, that once you change your "concept" of what breakfast "has" to be, then the whole world of opportunities opens up! She eats fish and rice for breakfast.. so I tried it.. tastes great! I finally convinced my husband to try "sandwiches" for breakfast and he now loves his white bread, spread of butter, slice of ham topped with fresh arugula and slice of tomato... how about that! In the bahamas they eat "boil fish" which is a breakfast fish stew with potatoes, lime and hot chili pepper along with the fish, so great!

Great Concept! I ate grilled chicken and broccoli the other morning and it felt weird, but I guess I'll just have to be open-minded!

Thanks!
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    Venison steak( sometimes beef) and eggs .... on days I have the time

Hard boiled Eggs and fresh fruit always ready to go for quick grab and go breakfast
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump !!
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. Onion, bell pepper, Pico Dr Gallo, and broccoli sauteed in a little butter with red pepper flakes. Add 2 eggs and scramble. So filling..

2. Diced sweet potato, chopped bacon and onion. Saute until bacon renders. Add 2 eggs and kale and cover. Also super filling and delicious
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Open-Faced Broiled Egg, Spinach, Tomato Sandwich

Skip a drive-thru egg sandwich and make this easy-to-prepare one at home. (It uses hard-boiled eggs, so you don’t even have to soil a pan.) Spinach and tomatoes provide valuable vitamins and antioxidants; a fiber-filled whole wheat English muffin combined with protein in the egg helps you stay satiated through lunchtime.

PREP TIME: 10 minutes
    TOTAL TIME: 13 minutes
    SERVINGS: 1

½ whole wheat english muffin
    ¼ c fresh spinach, cooked and squeezed dry (about 4 ounces)
    1 slice tomato
    1 hard-boiled egg, sliced width-wise
    1 Tbsp omega-3-enriched mayonnaise
    Salt-free seasoning blend

1. SET the muffin half on a toaster oven pan or double sheet of foil. Top with the spinach and tomato. Lay on the egg slices in an overlapping spiral. Dollop on the mayonnaise and swirl slightly to partially cover the egg slices. Sprinkle on seasoning to taste.
    2. PLACE under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, watching carefully, until the mayonnaise is lightly browned.

NUTRITION (per serving) 213 cal, 11 g pro, 19 g carb, 4 g fiber, 11.4 g fat, 1.8 g sat fat, 390 mg sodium
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Crepes, replacing the flour with coconut flour and using brown sugar.
    Make literal egg muffins with the same ingredients in an omelet.
    Parfaits.
    Rice crispies with granola and/or honey.
  • sldeane
    sldeane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These meal plans include some fantastic recipes including breakfast.

http://www.weighitup.com.au/1-million-kilo-challenge-welcome

Personally i generally stick to:

Baked Beans
    Eggs (any fashion but mainly omlettes with greens and a protein)
    Weet Bix topped with chia seeds, almonds, pepitas, sesame etc (ALPS blend)
  • grlgemini
    Options
    I make a breakfast quiche and it lasts throughout the week.
    In a Pie pan add shredded frozen hash browns. About 3 ounces (just cover the bottom and sides)
    Bake at 425 for 25 minutes
    While that is bakings chop up some veggies or any kind of meat you want. I like onions, jalapenos, sweet bell peppers.
    Then shred some sharp cheddar cheese. I just use enough to cover the top. Use as little or as much as you like
    Mix 1/4 cup of milk (i use 2%) and 2 eggs with salt/pepper.
    Once hash browns are done add the veggies and meat, then top with cheese, and then pour over the milk/eggs over the whole dish.
    Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. I usually turn the broiler on at the end to crisp up the top.
    Depending on what you use the calorie count will change but mine is usually around 125 calories for one slice, and I usually have 2!
    Reheat during the week! So yummy and easy!
  • dmcgann1
    dmcgann1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think narrowing down how many calories you want to consume during breakfast helps- for example I usually eat anywhere between 150-350 calories for breakfast then make my lunch my heaviest meal and dinner is always my lightest so that my body has the rest of the evening and overnight to digest and burn food. With that said, here are a few ideas for breakfast meals-

Yogurt parfait

- choice of non fat plain yogurt (greek for more protein)
    -10 raspberries
    -1/2 cup blueberries
    - small drizzle of honey

I layer in a small parfait glass about 1/4 cup of non fat plain greek yogurt then add 5 raspberries and 1/4 cup of blueberries and drizzle with a small amt of honey then layer again with the remaining 1/4 of yogurt and fruit with honey drizzled over the top.

Oatmeal with Fruit

1/2 cup dried rolled instant oats
    water
    any type of berries or 1/2 a banana

cook oatmeal as directed- I usually do a serving size portion which is usually 1/2 cup of dried oats. Cook it with water- then once it comes out of the microwave just add one type of your favorite fruit to it.

Copycat Starbucks Oatmeal (this I make when I am running long distance)- (usually between 300-340 calories)

1/2 cup dried rolled instant oats
    water
    1 small apple
    any 1 type of your favorite nut (unsalted)- walnuts or almonds work great
    1 tbsp. brown sugar or less

Cook the oatmeal as directed. Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast lightly. Chop your apple into bite size pieces. Add the apple, toasted nuts and brown sugar to the cooked oatmeal. Yum, healthy, nutritious and it gives you lots of energy and fills you up.

Cottage cheese with fruit (usually between 140-180 calories)

1/2 cup of lowfat 1% or 2% small curd cottage cheese
    1 type of your favorite fresh fruit on hand
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Smoothies and overnight oats are my go-to recipes for breakfast
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I love to have homemade whole grain bars on hand. They are very simple to make and you can vary what you put in them based on what you have at hand.

The basic recipe is to

Preheat oven to 350F

Mash two bananas with 1 cup of the milk of your choice. I use unsweetened soy milk. Optionally, add two eggs or some vegetable oil.

Mix into that 2 cups of rolled oats + 3 more cups of a variety of grains and seeds (e.g. bulgur wheat, sunflower seeds, oat bran, flax seed, etc.)

Optionally add cinnamon, honey, dried fruit, nuts, vanilla extract, protein powder, cocoa, salt, etc., to taste.

Spread in a baking pan (lined with parchment paper or well-greased)

Bake for 35 minutes, cool. Cut into bar-sized shapes. Eat a couple for breakfast and get a big jolt of fiber!

My current batch is

2 bananas, 2 eggs, 1 cup soy milk, 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain rolled cereal, 1 cup bulgur wheat, 1 cup oat bran, 1 cup frozen cranberries that I nuked with 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. My previous batch didn't have eggs but it was chock full of pecans and raisins. It really is a very flexible recipe.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great recipe. Thanks. I make something similar with cooked steel cut oats and other whole grains/banana raisins and ground peanuts (too much bad stuff in peanut butter). I'll try adding the eggs:smile:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Muesli for two:

Mix together and soak overnight:
    ¼ cup rolled oats (or mixture of barley, rye, wheat and oats)
    ¼ cup steel-cut oats
    ½ cup orange juice (or enough to cover the oats)
    2 tablespoons dried cranberries
    2 dates, chopped

In the morning, add:
    ½ apple, grated
    ½ banana, grated
    ½ cup yogurt, or to taste
    1 tablespoon almonds, chopped

I slip the almonds and yogurt, just because i don't like almonds much and i rarely keep yogurt around. I use the juice from a couple of oranges, and it's a good meal to just grab from the fridge, eat, and go.

I'm very much not a morning person, so mornings that i have to work very early, I'll hard-boil some eggs the night before and cook a few pieces of turkey bacon, then eat the egg and microwave the bacon for like 20 seconds to heat it up. I can pretty much eat it in the car on my way to work, along with a banana.

I also pre-bake whole-wheat muffins with no sugar (i sub fruit juice or applesauce) and add dried or frozen fruit. I freeze them in batches, then defrost one the night before ink the fridge in a plastic baggy so it doesn't dry out, then just grab and eat on my way out the door. Don't have the recipe on hand at the moment, but if you google it, it usually comes up...i think my first recipe came from 100 days of real food, but then i found a modified version that i liked better. When i put the recipe in here, it came out to something like 150 cals per muffin..if i find the recipe again, I'll post it. (Still working on finishing off the last batch i made because i made a double or triple batch, lol)

I also do leftovers for breakfast, simply because I'm lazy and it's food that needs to be eaten. ;p
  • pollypoptart79
    pollypoptart79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Crustless quiche using 2 eggs, 2 tablespoonfuls of cottage cheese, whatever veg you have to hand... put a layer of thin ham in the bottom of four silicon cupcake cases, top with the eggy mixture, put in the oven on high for about half an hour... great wee breakfast which can be eaten cold will keep you going for a few days and is really simple.

I have just discovered Slimming World Weetabix muffins too which you make using crushed up weetabix, eggs, a flavoured mullerlight, sweetener and vanilla essence. Made up my first batch last night, had two this morning (the recipe makes four). Filling and less than 100 calories per muffin.