What kinds of 'unusual' fitness do you do?

Options
I'm wondering what sorts of non-traditional exercise and fitness people are doing. Walking and jogging and crunches get boring, so I want to try to get ideas.

One of my non-traditional fitness routines is dancing to Japanese pop videos. Trying to copy the dances in the videos basically. Its pretty fun, I have a youtube playlist that is an hour long and I dance the whole time. :)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    One of my non-traditional fitness routines is dancing to Japanese pop videos.

I do some funny things with weights at the gym, but i can't top that. Doing anything Japanese is an automatic win. You'd like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1hah7QvIw
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Rollerblading
    Xbox Kinect Dance Central
    Chasing children around (haha!)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    hula hooping is fun (use a weighted one)

Wii Fit

mountain biking (not that unusual, but not that common either)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I don't know how "unusual" these are but I do Sled Pulls & Sandbag Carries for cardio. Sled Pulls are also an incredible leg workout.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    When I get "bored" with going to the gym - doesn't happen often - and I'm looking for something to do with the kiddos I'll take them Skating! My son LOVES Ice Skating and my Daughter LOVES Roller Skating! Both burn an insane number of calories during a 3-hour session at the rink! Heck I usually leave the Roller Rink drenched in sweat!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    When I get "bored" with going to the gym - doesn't happen often - and I'm looking for something to do with the kiddos I'll take them Skating! My son LOVES Ice Skating and my Daughter LOVES Roller Skating! Both burn an insane number of calories during a 3-hour session at the rink! Heck I usually leave the Roller Rink drenched in sweat!

Yup--my son plays hockey and we do open skating together on Sunday afternoons (he's 4, so he still thinks I'm cool...for now).
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I used to do Capoeira before I moved and LOVED it.
  • mrsfrick12
    Options
    I do pole fitness :)
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I turn off the lights in my house, I blast fun music and dance wildly so that I am not tempted to judge my wild flailing. ^_^
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Ive been wanting to take up rollerblading again, and there's an Ice Skating rink pretty close by my house. :)

@Cherimoose Wow I wish they had a version to learn Japanese with that. XD Two things done at once!
  • jimvic37
    Options
    I'm an avid CrossFitter and I highly recommend it. You'll never get bored and you'll always have a great community to support and motivate you along your journey.

Hater go ahead!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I do cropfit.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    One of my non-traditional fitness routines is dancing to Japanese pop videos.

I do some funny things with weights at the gym, but i can't top that. Doing anything Japanese is an automatic win. You'd like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1hah7QvIw

I love how they are preparing people for being held up. That video is hilarious!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dancing (I also dance with kids so we jump around like frogs and other animal movements), hiking, skating, gymnastics, climbing, swimming.

Or playing at the playground you can do pulling/lifting/swinging exercises on the bars, monkey bars, obstacle course races, pushups, put your feet on the swing and do pike pushups. Cartwheels.

I also do sled pulls at the gym.

:kissing_heart:
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I challenge my 8-year-old to relay races all the time. Bear crawls, crab walk, broad jumps, etc. We have a great time and get a quick, mini workout in.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just Dance on the wii is great fun x
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    What kinds of 'unusual' fitness do you do?

- I set goals none of which include weight loss, that's why I eat right
    - I work on flexibility despite all the anti-stretch & warm-up pundants
    - I stick to 6 or 7 main strength exercises in a wekk and keep things simple. Crazy huh?
    - I bust my *kitten* to exceed previous best performances
    - I eat carbs
    - I consume minimal supplements
    - I give my body rest so it can bounce-back and kick *kitten* when I need it to

I just think these basic things are considered unusual these days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm a professional bellydancer- but I'm a power lifter too- so I spent hours lifting heavy things- then going to dance class.... it's kind of amusing.
    I set goals none of which include weight loss, that's why I eat right
    - I stick to 6 or 7 main strength exercises in a wekk and keep things simple. Crazy huh?
    - I bust my **** to exceed previous best performances
    - I eat carbs
    - I give my body rest so it can bounce-back and kick **** when I need it to

nope- everyone I know does something very much along these lines- so sorry not sorry- you're not a special snowflake.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm a professional bellydancer- but I'm a power lifter too- so I spent hours lifting heavy things- then going to dance class.... it's kind of amusing.
    I set goals none of which include weight loss, that's why I eat right
    - I bust my **** to exceed previous best performances
    - I eat carbs
    - I give my body rest so it can bounce-back and kick **** when I need it to

nope- everyone I know does something very much along these lines- so sorry not sorry- you're not a special snowflake.

You are in very good company then Jo. The media alone is enough to dissuade the unknowing person from doing basic essentials. Unfortunately I work around 60 people and I listen to all their misconceptions about training, family members, friends, etc. I'd say folks like us are not the norm.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you call unusual. I'm predominantly a bodyweight strength guy & use sandbags for supplemental work.