What kinds of 'unusual' fitness do you do?

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Scuba diving!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm a professional bellydancer- but I'm a power lifter too- so I spent hours lifting heavy things- then going to dance class.... it's kind of amusing.
    I set goals none of which include weight loss, that's why I eat right
    - I work on flexibility despite all the anti-stretch & warm-up pundants
    - I stick to 6 or 7 main strength exercises in a wekk and keep things simple. Crazy huh?
    - I bust my **** to exceed previous best performances
    - I eat carbs
    - I consume minimal supplements
    - I give my body rest so it can bounce-back and kick **** when I need it to

I just think these basic things are considered unusual these days.

nope- everyone I know does something very much along these lines- so sorry not sorry- you're not a special snowflake.

You are in very good company then Jo. The media alone is enough to dissuade the unknowing person from doing basic essentials. Unfortunately I work around 60 people and I listen to all their misconceptions about training, family members, friends, etc. I'd say folks like us are not the norm.

well- to be fair- I'm honestly far to abrasive for people who disagree with me to hang out long. I just can only put up with it for so long and 'm happy to tell the they are wrong- so they eventually never bring it up with me. Which I'm okay with too- so the people I wind up hanging out with and talking to about this stuff- are on board with "the essentials".

I can't stand when people who want a quick fix and I'm perfectly happy to tell them they are cheating themselves and when they want to really make a change I'll be happy to talk to them.

It's shameful how easily people buy into crap (which is hysterical- because I'm a make up marketers dream customer- very much a SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ever time a new make up line/product comes out) but- come on- if at any point you take out- consistency and hard work and moderation- and it becomes a fast fix- with no long term changes- it's completely snake oil but people are all about it.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another diver here! Best days are scuba days :smiley:
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This won't last forever, but... I'm renovating my kitchen, so far single-handedly. It's been a workout dragging old cabinets down the stairs and new cabinets up, hefting countertops up and down, tearing out old flooring, moving appliances, etc. I'm not sure how to enter that in Exercise so I don't bother, but I know I'm getting a workout!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My husband and I took up kayaking for fun. It's also a pretty decent workout.
  • PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    This won't last forever, but... I'm renovating my kitchen, so far single-handedly. It's been a workout dragging old cabinets down the stairs and new cabinets up, hefting countertops up and down, tearing out old flooring, moving appliances, etc. I'm not sure how to enter that in Exercise so I don't bother, but I know I'm getting a workout!

I did that too a few years back. I don't think I've ever sweated so much. I can confirm you are definitely getting one hell of a workout there!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I squatted my teenager.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Last week i had a 3 hour layover in LAX so instead of sitting around doing nothing I walked laps around the terminal the whole time. Definitely started to get some strange looks as I passed by the same people for the 15th+ time, but on a full day in airplanes and airports I didn't have many options!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    One of my non-traditional fitness routines is dancing to Japanese pop videos. Trying to copy the dances in the videos basically. Its pretty fun, I have a youtube playlist that is an hour long and I dance the whole time. :)

Ha I do this too... XD

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Does "standing in my kitchen dancing like Elaine Benes" count?
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I used to do Capoeira before I moved and LOVED it.

Same here! Awesome martial art :smile: I still do capoeira once or twice a week and like you, LOVE it!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    blupanda12 wrote: »
    LOL! I never thought of counting this! The only real exercise I thought, I ever get with it is dragging a ton of gear to the beach/boat.... Once I'm under water, I don't move much anymore.... It will still make me hungry, though.... :p
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I take two classes a week, one's Zumba and the other is Dance Aerobics. I also dog walk, although I'm not sure that's so unusual. And a friend has me doing her squat challenge (to Moby's song 'Flower' - when the music says 'down' you squat and stretch your arms forwards, when he says 'up' you drop them and stand.... Over and over again!).
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    blupanda12 wrote: »
    LOL! I never thought of counting this! The only real exercise I thought, I ever get with it is dragging a ton of gear to the beach/boat.... Once I'm under water, I don't move much anymore.... It will still make me hungry, though.... :p

Kicking against the current is not easy. But I think the main reason for spending so much calories while diving is simply being in relatively cold water...
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I did a high ropes course a couple of weeks ago and 10/10 will do again.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had to give up weight lifting, because I was aggravating a previous injury (I have a plate in my left arm and a rod in my left femur). For resistance, I do an 80s exercise thing called Callanetics. It looks very tame, but OMIGOSH! It totally makes up for my inability to do squats.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Roller derby.
    It's not as 'unusual' as it used to be! :)
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Golf ball hunting...includes tons of walking, squatting to get under tree limbs, bushes, etc, and using the retriever to work the arms.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to do Capoeira before I moved and LOVED it.

Hey, another capoeirista! I also do capoeira, and it's amazing. I occasionally do parkour, as well.

I may or may not also still go to the arcade for Dance Dance Revolution and Pump It Up. *coughs*