Workout Routine

Options
Well I know this probably isn't the best forum to post this sort of question, but since I'm using the app I figured what the hell. I'm trying to shorten up my workout week by combining muscle groups into a single days routine. But, I don't want to actually combine them into the same workout. For example, I want to workout chest on my lunch break (my normal workout time) and the maybe my biceps at home in the evening after dinner and things are winding down. These 2 groups don't overly conflict with each other in the movements, so my thought is I would still be able to get a good workout this way.

I know people combine muscle groups into the same routine done at the same time with success, so that makes me think this should work also. Anyone?

Replies

• heavydron
    heavydron Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Work synergistic muscle groups during the same w/o or later in the day. For example chest and then shoulders/triceps. And next day back then biceps. Next day quads and then later maybe hams and calves. Many ways to do it but I find this to be the best when I need to condense the gym week.
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That does make sense. When I originally started back up working out, my thought was to do the whole chest/tricep and back/biceps workouts. But my older brother who worked out with a personal trainer for a couple years said that it's best to do single muscle groups on individual days, which also makes sense. But, I find myself wanting to condense the week into 2 workouts a day for a few days.

I guess my thought was that if I worked out different muscle groups in the same day, the fatigue built up from say a midday chest workout, wouldn't effect my form on an evening bicep workout. It sounds like I'm right about the fatigue not effecting the an evening workout, so I should be able to work synergistic muscle groups with this in mind?
  • heavydron
    heavydron Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you have time for, that also minimizes overtraining. As a beginner I'd always recommend each muscle group one time a week but if you must condense then the whole point of working synergistic muscles in one day is so that they ARE fatigued. If you do chest and then bi's, your bi's will be fresh, but your back workout will suffer the following day. When following chest with tri's, you are able to pre-fatigue tri's (that's a good thing) and then do the same with back an bi's the following day. I believe you may be getting synergistic vs. antogonistic muscle groupings confused.