I feel like a horrible person... :(

Options
1235»

Replies

• jacquib234
    jacquib234 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd say the fact you are so bothered by this one incident means you can't be a horrible person. You are simply someone who was having not such a good day. Trust me, I've also reacted in a bad way when having a bad day.

Forgive yourself for having a bad day (we all have them, don't we?) and forgive whoever really did do it - they can't help being an inconsiderate so and so, can they?
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should have apologized, it probably was him. At the same time, I think you're being silly . . . I feel like "OMG I'm depressed and can't handle the smell of chocolate right now" is some serious diva behavior.

I've struggled with depression my entire life. I refuse to be on medication for it because I hate the way it makes me feel. I have periods that can last anywhere from a few days to a few months where I just feel like I can't handle it anymore. I have to force myself to crawl out of bed. If it weren't for my husband, I honestly don't know if I would get out some days.

I haven't felt like this since I started my diet a year ago. The last few weeks have been harder and harder to get through and the last week I felt like I was drowning every single day. I started to notice that I was eating more and more chocolate to the point of "needing" it when I woke up.

There have been numerous studies showing that some people's brain react to chocolate similarlly to drugs. For some people chocolate is like taking a drug. I started realizing that I craved chocolate hoping it would pull me out of the depression. Of course it never did, after a temp "high" I felt worse than before.

This behavor is not healthy. In order for me to get past it, I need to avoid my "drug". I decided last weekend, no more chocolate until I kick this and get back to normal. The smell of chocolate was too much for me when my mind did nothing but scream for it nonstop and something inside me kept saying "chocholate will make you happy".

It's like trying to quit any addiction, having it near you and being able to smell it can be triggering. I don't think it was too much to ask for him to keep his candy at his desk.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Because you are.

horrible and a drama queen

That as well.

^^^ hilarious - seems like a lot of fuss about nothing.

Just wondering, am I a drama queen for getting upset about the candy on my desk or for worrying about how I handled it? Or both? I know I have a tendency to overreact, I'm trying to figure out where I can improve on myself.

Although I've never been called a drama queen before. Normally I try to avoid drama at all costs as it tends to not sit well with me.

Both -
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should have apologized, it probably was him. At the same time, I think you're being silly . . . I feel like "OMG I'm depressed and can't handle the smell of chocolate right now" is some serious diva behavior.

I've struggled with depression my entire life. I refuse to be on medication for it because I hate the way it makes me feel. I have periods that can last anywhere from a few days to a few months where I just feel like I can't handle it anymore. I have to force myself to crawl out of bed. If it weren't for my husband, I honestly don't know if I would get out some days.

I haven't felt like this since I started my diet a year ago. The last few weeks have been harder and harder to get through and the last week I felt like I was drowning every single day. I started to notice that I was eating more and more chocolate to the point of "needing" it when I woke up.

There have been numerous studies showing that some people's brain react to chocolate similarlly to drugs. For some people chocolate is like taking a drug. I started realizing that I craved chocolate hoping it would pull me out of the depression. Of course it never did, after a temp "high" I felt worse than before.

This behavor is not healthy. In order for me to get past it, I need to avoid my "drug". I decided last weekend, no more chocolate until I kick this and get back to normal. The smell of chocolate was too much for me when my mind did nothing but scream for it nonstop and something inside me kept saying "chocholate will make you happy".

It's like trying to quit any addiction, having it near you and being able to smell it can be triggering. I don't think it was too much to ask for him to keep his candy at his desk.

You're throwing the responsibility for your actions on someone else.

And if you're really treating chocolate like a "drug" and an "addiction" then your first step (like in rehab) is to take responsibility for your actions. You hold the power over yourself and not anyone else. Don't want the smell of it around you, then chunk it. It may be polite form for someone else to comply with your request, but in reality they are under no compunction to do so.
  • GothyFaery
    Options

And if you're really treating chocolate like a "drug" and an "addiction" then your first step (like in rehab) is to take responsibility for your actions. You hold the power over yourself and not anyone else. Don't want the smell of it around you, then chunk it. It may be polite form for someone else to comply with your request, but in reality they are under no compunction to do so.

I feel like I'm fully taking responsability for my actions. I realize that I'm using chocolate to control my emotions, that's me, no one else. I found chocolate right outside my desk triggering so I asked my coworker to move it to his desk and I asked him not to put any on my desk because I'm trying to cut out chocolate (didn't go into why). When it was on my desk this morning I overracted and was a b!tch about it.

That's all me. No one else to blame. Even this funk I've been in making me feel like I do is my fault. I need to just learn to snap out of it and move on but for some reason I can't. Again, all my fault.
  • Asherah29
    Options

I feel like I'm fully taking responsability for my actions. I realize that I'm using chocolate to control my emotions, that's me, no one else. I found chocolate right outside my desk triggering so I asked my coworker to move it to his desk and I asked him not to put any on my desk because I'm trying to cut out chocolate (didn't go into why). When it was on my desk this morning I overracted and was a b!tch about it.

That's all me. No one else to blame. Even this funk I've been in making me feel like I do is my fault. I need to just learn to snap out of it and move on but for some reason I can't. Again, all my fault.

You asked someone else to comply to your demands. They didn't and instead of moving the chocolate yourself you dumped candy on someones desk because they left a bowl of it on yours. Then instead of just apologizing to the person for the overreaction you made a thread on mfp asking if you were a horrible person to justify what you had done (or not, don't know what you were thinking here).

While you're realizing chocolate is a trigger is a good step, these other things don't count as taking responsibility for yourself.
  • GothyFaery
    Options

You asked someone else to comply to your demands. They didn't and instead of moving the chocolate yourself you dumped candy on someones desk because they left a bowl of it on yours. Then instead of just apologizing to the person for the overreaction you made a thread on mfp asking if you were a horrible person to justify what you had done (or not, don't know what you were thinking here).

While you're realizing chocolate is a trigger is a good step, these other things don't count as taking responsibility for yourself.

I appologized as soon as he said he didn't do it. I never even questioned him, I took his word that he didn't do it and appologized. I made this thread for support. I feel horrible for acting like I did and I was hoping I would get a few people saying "yes you overreacted but it happens. Move on" I really didn't expect anyone to agree with my actions or say what I did was right. I honestly expected to get a lot of people saying I was horrible like you and a couple others did.

Again, I was just looking for a little support. We all need a shoulder sometimes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

You asked someone else to comply to your demands. They didn't and instead of moving the chocolate yourself you dumped candy on someones desk because they left a bowl of it on yours. Then instead of just apologizing to the person for the overreaction you made a thread on mfp asking if you were a horrible person to justify what you had done (or not, don't know what you were thinking here)

I appologized as soon as he said he didn't do it. I never even questioned him, I took his word that he didn't do it and appologized. I made this thread for support. I feel horrible for acting like I did and I was hoping I would get a few people saying "yes you overreacted but it happens. Move on" I really didn't expect anyone to agree with my actions or say what I did was right. I honestly expected to get a lot of people saying I was horrible like you and a couple others did.

Again, I was just looking for a little support. We all need a shoulder sometimes.
    It's really not that serious. Might be a little awkward for a day or two but it will smooth over. Try not to lose your *kitten* over food, it's just food, ok? Here's a flower and have a good rest of your day :flowerforyou:
  • Asherah29
    Options

Never once did I say you were horrible. I did imply that your reaction was inappropriate and uncalled for. If you've apologized to the guy there is no real need for anything more.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My coworkers don't do things like that and even brought in healthy food for my birthday.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up anymore over it. You're clearly dealing with enough other things right now. You over-reacted, you regret it, you apologized with sincerity, and you learned something in the process.

For now just focus on the other things you are dealing with. It sounds like this sort of escalation is rare for you. I've seen plenty of people who otherwise have a very even temperament react when just enough piles on. If this is indeed rare, move on. If you find that you feel close to this again in the future or the other things keep piling up, speak to a friend, a counselor, your HR department, or a supporter here who understands tough triggers.

Lastly, I'd suspect he did it. Regardless, a gesture of good will may go a long way for both of you. A note, a non-chocolate treat for him, etc. Or I'm just cheesy enough to break the ice and bring in some York peppermint patties and make a joke about giving away your cool rather than losing it, lol.