THESE DAMN THIGHS, TIPS?

Options
The area I hate the most is my thighs and I need some more tips on how to make them smaller they're fat and gross, I do the cross trainer, running, walking, squats, leg press. sometime lunges, is there other things I can do? Any suggestions welcome thankyou very much and feel free to add me looking for positive people!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There is no way to spot reduce fat. None at all. All you can do is lose fat and hope that it comes off your thighs. Where you store your fat has a lot to do with genetics. Eventually fat will come off from everywhere but sometimes you need to get very lean for your genetic problem areas to finally shed their fat.

You can do leg workouts to help with muscle mass in the area but that will not do anything to make the fat from the area fall off any quicker.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    God, I wish there was a way to deduct fat from just one spot. I hate my thighs. It's almost like they're normal 80% of the way up, then that last fifth is gigando. Looks worse now that the rest is more normal.

I swim, I diet, I work the thighs as much as I can and I wait.

If there is some better way, I'll be happy to hear it, too. :)
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Embrace them and squat, lunge, etc...
  • Ahh okay thankyou very much this is a learning experience I guess, but it's just annoying haha all the women in my family have big thigh hahah! Hopefully I'll start to see a small change in a few weeks
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Learn to like them, or at least accept them. Preserve muscle underneath the fat with weight lifting, reduce the fat (eventually) by calorie deficit.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I do exercises that you listed plus I bike a LOT which has made a big change to my body overall. I think it just takes people like us a long time to lose the extra stuff on the thighs. I would also sugges learning how to work with them and not against them as they may never be exactly perfect :)
  • Im going to try and change my attitude towards them and hope for the best..

I bike a lot too but mainly for getting to places not such as a hobby..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    God, I wish there was a way to deduct fat from just one spot.
    There is, but it requires surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ahh okay thankyou very much this is a learning experience I guess, but it's just annoying haha all the women in my family have big thigh hahah! Hopefully I'll start to see a small change in a few weeks

it sounds like your efforts at slimming your thighs are going to be wasted if your genetics are predisposed to larger thighs. embrace it and get under a barbell and get a 1x bw squat and 1.5x bw dead lift.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have huge thighs but I did lose 4 inches in the thigh/hip area from the "diet"/calorie deficit. Squats and deadlifts have improved their appearance. Still big though!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I know those feels, but you really have to learn to be kinder to yourself. They really are almost certainly not as gross as you think.
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Go to fitnessblender.com. Do a search for thighs and it should pull up several workouts. The one I'm doing right now is Pilates for Thigh and Buttocks. If a burn is a good indicator of how well it works, then this workout works just great!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat from your thighs by exercising your thighs. All that will do is build muscle. You're making the problem worse by building muscle in the areas you want to have smaller.

It's counterintuitive, but for slimmer thighs, stay away from exercises that will bulk you up there. Squats and lunges are bad. Biking is bad, especially uphill or with high resistance on the machine. Quad press is bad. These are the exercises that men do when they're trying to bulk up their legs so they won't look like Foghorn Leghorn. That's the opposite of what you want. If you must do these things in the gym, go for light weights and lots of reps.

What's good - dieting, of course. Walking and gentle running for overall fat burn. Upper body strength training / heavy lifting to give you bigger shoulders, back and chest to balance your body out. Rowing, swimming, dancing, or any other cardio exercise you can think of that will burn fat without bulking your legs.

Avoid this:

oBeu8Nk.jpg
  • AtlantisLoss
    AtlantisLoss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was lean and fit (once upon a time), my larger (toned) thighs actually looked damn good!
    However, they never looked slim, I'm sorry to say. But I'm not against toning them (just don't bulk to the extreme).

If you keep doing what your doing, I'm sure you will see how beautifully you can shape them!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can't lose fat from your thighs by exercising your thighs. All that will do is build muscle. You're making the problem worse by building muscle in the areas you want to have smaller.

It's counterintuitive, but for slimmer thighs, stay away from exercises that will bulk you up there. Squats and lunges are bad. Biking is bad, especially uphill or with high resistance on the machine. Quad press is bad. These are the exercises that men do when they're trying to bulk up their legs so they won't look like Foghorn Leghorn. That's the opposite of what you want. If you must do these things in the gym, go for light weights and lots of reps.

What's good - dieting, of course. Walking and gentle running for overall fat burn. Upper body strength training / heavy lifting to give you bigger shoulders, back and chest to balance your body out. Rowing, swimming, dancing, or any other cardio exercise you can think of that will burn fat without bulking your legs.

Avoid this:

oBeu8Nk.jpg

This is not true. Exercising a muscle will make it stronger, not bigger. The OP is in the process of losing weight, and while in a deficit, it's extremely difficult to gain any new muscle, especially since the OP is a woman. Heck, there are many cases that women can gain muscle and they get more lean. Below is a story of a power lifter. Look at how lean she gets throughout her 20 lb weight gain. Now consider what will happen if they OP is looking to lose weight?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I love my big thighs! I wouldn't be able to deadlift 230lbs without them! :bigsmile:
  • jayladeyman
    Options
    haha i hate my legs too they're my worst enemy- even when i was at my lowest weight they were still "big" to me. all you can do is try and accept your body for what it is. the best thing that my gma said to me is when you get older it's much better to have strong built legs than little scrawny ones and the big ones can take you more places- so just think of it like that :)
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I say embrace your thighs. They are powerful and have a lot of muscle.

Why yes, I do have thunder thighs myself.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Women tend to gain and retain fat around heir hips and thighs. Men tend to retain fat around their abdomen. Just the way it is.

both are photoshopped in mags to an unobtainable appearance. Both are susceptible to body dysmorphia, becoming obsessed with how one or another body area is unattractive. That is a diagnosable illness. More likely, you are just disappointed, not obsessed. Don't sweat it. You are probably eating well and working out.

zarckon, I loved that little animated movie about cyclists. It got stranger as it progressed
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Oh. You are only 18 yo. Your body has not yet expressed what it will finally look like. Dance, play tennis, have fun with this wonderful machine you were given. The more you move, the better you will feel.