Women with PCOS and missing TOM

Options
I never had regular Tom, and was recently diagnosed with PCOS after numerous long and frustrating doctor trips.

I don't have high levels of androgens (male hormones), but my family has a long history of type 1 diabetes.
The doctor(s) had said I had PCOS because of my weight and getting TOM back would be an indication of what weight was ideal for me.

My measurements:
BMI: 23
Height: 160cm (5'2.5")
Weight: 60Kg (132 pounds)

So my question is:
What BMI did you ladies get your Tom back? or at What BMI did you stop feeling the strong effects/symptoms from PCOS?

Replies

• DenaC3
    DenaC3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine was regular until I hit age 20 then it went down hill. I was well under 200 lbs at that time and by age 22 I was diagnosed with PCOS and infertility as a result of PCOS at age 27. I'm not sure what my BMI was when it first started going AWOL on me.

The weight is a result of the PCOS, you don't get PCOS because you're overweight. If that makes sense. PCOS causes you to carry weight predominantly around your middle. It also causes insulin resistance, among a plethora of other issues. I highly recommend using an insulin resistant diet, pay close attention to foods on the glycemic index. The insulin resistant diet has made a world of difference with me.

I'm not sure I answered your question, but as someone who has lived with PCOS for over 15 years, I hope I was able to help you understand it some.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I never had regular Tom, and was recently diagnosed with PCOS after numerous long and frustrating doctor trips.

I don't have high levels of androgens (male hormones), but my family has a long history of type 1 diabetes.
    The doctor(s) had said I had PCOS because of my weight and getting TOM back would be an indication of what weight was ideal for me.

My measurements:
    BMI: 23
    Weight: 60Kg (132 pounds)

So my question is:
    What BMI did you ladies get your Tom back? or at What BMI did you stop feeling the strong effects/symptoms from PCOS?

Honey, that doctor gave you terrible advice. I'd look for a better doctor, and get their opinion. Can you tell me what other 'strong effects/symptoms' you have? To look at you, you are barely carrying any excess body fat. Maybe 3-4 kgs tops. That is not to the point that it should be interfering with your menstrual cycle. The fact that it has never been regular is another red flag there. How restrictive is your diet, and for how long has that gone on?

Just so you aren't operating under misinformation, type 1 diabetes has no association with PCOS. PCOS can (but doesn't always) include insulin resistance, which is a precursor to type 2 diabetes if not handled properly.
  • AGirrl
    AGirrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OMG! Hi!

My measurements:

Weight: 54Kg (about 119 pounds)

I also never had regular TOM, but my TOM stopped altogether at the end of June! Still hasn't returned. I visited my gyn, she said that I diet too much, that 1200cal/day I stick to is not enough etc. My gyn said that my ideal weight is 60kg (132 pounds.)

It's laughable, really.

Please get well soon and forget about correlation with anything TOM-related and weight! I would seek advice from another Dr, just to get the second opinion. Perhaps you even don't have PCOS b/c sometimes Drs are happy to diagnose you w/ whatever.