GRAD school & getting fit

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm Meghan and I'm 22. I was on here for quite some time in my undergrad and lost about 30 pounds. I let myself go and gained back about 20 pounds -_- I have been on top of my game these past few weeks and think it's a good idea to start tracking again! I am in grad school full time, work part time, and have an internship. Balancing life is getting tricky but I'm putting aside time to get back in shape. I want to use every minute to my advantage! I'm 5'5, 171 pounds. My ultimate goal is to lose about 25 pounds. I've done it before and can do it again! Add me! :)

Replies

• jancie84
    jancie84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Meghan! Graduate school was a tough time for me! Lots of late night studying....managing the home....ordering takeout....no time for anything..... I'm glad you're getting on it now! I hit my highest weight ever at graduation...

I'm turning 30 (in 10 days!)...and I'm trying to get back in shape!!!!!

Kudos to you!!!!!
  • AmandaPantz87
    AmandaPantz87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am currently in graduate school too. Things are hectic, but thankfully I am done classes...I say that like it actually saved me time LOL.

Good old thesis-based masters..... :)
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Same here! I put on close to 40lbs each year in grad school (gasp! I know...); but I'm sure you'll do better. You just have to do better than I did with managing your stress with something other than food.
  • SouthGaPeach
    SouthGaPeach Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am in my senior year of high school and am really pushing myself to try to get in better shape before I go off to college. I have about 50 lbs I WANT to lose, but that's not necessarily set in stone. I am in school 8 hours a day, have to go to football practice 3 days per week (I'm a team manager) and work a part time job so I understand the hectic life part. I also try to spend as much time as possible with my boyfriend and my horses. "finding time to exercise" just didn't seem possible but now that I am really working at it, I am finding out that it is very possible if I try! Hopefully, I will be able to make 50 lost lbs. in 7 months! Good luck as you work through your weight loss!
  • effondrement
    effondrement Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Feel free to add me as a friend, as I completely understand how hard it is to maintain your weight when studying. I gained a lot of weight during my sophomore year of college, and I'm trying to lose it now as a junior. My stats are pretty similar, as I'm 5'7" and 177lbs. Anyways welcome and good luck! :)
  • cmpilgrim
    cmpilgrim Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck with your graduate program first of all! I just graduated from grad school in August! I definitely know what's like, I think I gained at least 10 lbs every year of college. I started at 125 and gradually keep gaining until last December I was at 5'5" and 168 lbs. I've since lost 20 lbs and keep coming back to MFP. I'll get serious and log for a while and then slack off and then come back and log for a while, but this time I am going to stick with it. lol. Feel free to add me as friend and maybe we can keep each other motivated :)
  • red66stang
    Options
    I was in bad shape when I was in grad school. The long hours, stress, and late nights disrupting my sleeping weren't conducive to being fit. You can do it, but it is definitely harder. Several grad students I knew went mountain biking together and did other athletic activities like lunchtime basketball, just not at the frequency that they used to do those activities before. I used to go to the gym once or twice a week for about 45 minutes in between incubations. Good luck.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Honestly grad school feels busy when you're in it but, in hindsight, I had way more free time when I was in school than I do these days. In short, it never gets easier. If your goal is to get fit, make it a priority and you'll find time for it.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Balance is difficult, right? I'm a 4th year PhD student. Every time I'm in the gym, its like "I kind of should be doing my dissertation" and every time I'm doing my dissertation, I think "I should probably move more than my fingers today." You're always giving up something, but everything is important.
  • carhughes
    carhughes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good luck with grad school! I would agree that going to school can be stressful!! I was in grad school full time, working full time, mom of 2 teenagers, AND completing my practicum all at the same time. I put on about 30 pounds. Now that I am just mom working full time I have found that I have so much more time!! I try to exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. It means that I can have ice cream in a fancy glass and still lose weight. :heart: Hang in there! YOU can do this! :love:
  • tjclark317
    Options
    I start my grad (nurse practitioner program) in January so I'm trying to create my healthy henits now!!! I'm 6+ weeks into tracking calories and eating better. My husband and I have plans to join shun tomorrow!! Feel free to add me :)