Should I be consuming more calories?

Options
I have been working out a lot recently. 45-50 minutes on the elliptical and strength training following cardio every other day. I also am a "bagger/cashier" at my local grocery store and am constantly unpacking peoples' groceries, pushing carts, loading groceries into cars, running back and forth trying to assist customers, cleaning, etc.. I have been feeling EXHAUSTED. But, I don't really have an appetite? I've been keeping my portions under control and not getting seconds... but I wonder... maybe I should be eating more? My body is constantly tired, I feel as if I could fall asleep on the elliptical, my eyes are heavy during the day... I have been consuming 1400 calories a day and burning 400-470 doing the elliptical and God knows how much else with strength training and my job. Any advice? I am kinda new to this. I apologize for my ignorance. :)

Replies

• anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should definitely be eating more.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this calculator. Plug in your info and find your TDEE (calories needed to maintain your weight based on your activity).
    You can then select what type of deficit you want based on your goals. The estimated calories shown is roughly what you should be eating. You can slowly increase your daily calories to the number you get.

Good Luck!
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It looks like you eat really well! Are you getting enough rest? It might be exhaustion just from working too much, not that you aren't eating enough. Your body needs some down time!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes. You're not using MFP properly. You're supposed to eat for your activity level PLUS eat back your exercise calories. So your activity level is probably 'active' at least, and on top of that you need to add those 400 calories from your workouts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When you first start it's easy to get enthusiastic and not feel hungry, but my guess is you being exhausted is related to you not eating enough. I'd redo your goal based on "active" and also eat back at least some of the calories burnt.
  • Basilin
    Options
    Looking at her diary, she's been eating 1,600 - 1,700 calories so far with a base goal of around 1,300 (not 1,400?), and burning about 450 with about 300 - 400 deficit from her goal after exercise (cannot tell what her activity level is set at, but guessing "lightly active"). What is wrong with this?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eating back workout calories is good. The first post didn't make it clear she was doing that.

If she's moving around all day on her job I'd think she's more than lightly active, although depending on her weight it could be set higher.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Looking at her diary, she's been eating 1,600 - 1,700 calories so far with a base goal of around 1,300 (not 1,400?), and burning about 450 with about 300 - 400 deficit from her goal after exercise (cannot tell what her activity level is set at, but guessing "lightly active"). What is wrong with this?

If the setup is inaccurate, the guidance is as well. Simple concept. Claiming a person is doing well with less than three days logged is extremely premature.
  • Basilin
    Options

If the setup is inaccurate, the guidance is as well. Simple concept. Claiming a person is doing well with less than three days logged is extremely premature.

Also claiming they need to eat more when they say they aren't hungry. That she isn't hungry is why I wanted to ask about how much rest she is getting, especially since she said she is exhausted, not lightheaded or dizzy or the usual symptoms of not eating enough. So yeah, need more info.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Also claiming they need to eat more when they say they aren't hungry. That she isn't hungry is why I wanted to ask about how much rest she is getting, especially since she said she is exhausted, not lightheaded or dizzy or the usual symptoms of not eating enough. So yeah, need more info.

It's an issue because that would mean that she is constantly netting below 1200 calories, when her BMR (what she'd need if she were in, say a coma) is likely 1500-1900 depending on her actual size.

Basic rule of thumb if you're looking to lose weight healthily, eat what your body needs for all your organs to function properly -- which to clarify, would be approximately your BMR.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Feeling exhausted IS a usual symptom of undereating.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not an accurate indication of needing to eat. Too many hormonal and behavioral issues can trigger, or suppress, hunger signals without a linkage to a need to eat.
  • Basilin
    Options

It's an issue because that would mean that she is constantly netting below 1200 calories, when her BMR (what she'd need if she were in, say a coma) is likely 1500-1900 depending on her actual size.

Basic rule of thumb if you're looking to lose weight healthily, eat what your body needs for all your organs to function properly -- which to clarify, would be approximately your BMR.

Well, that's not what's in her diary for the last 3 days, so clarification is needed. Besides, I've eaten below 1200 and I am completely fine. Rule of thumb is not exact, and we don't know what her actual caloric needs are. So, I'll wait for the OP to respond to clarify things, as what she says sounds a lot like working too much and not getting adequate rest than under eating.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Slow it down on your exercise. You might be getting enough at work. Do not eat, if you're not hungry. Eat the right things, a balanced diet of protein and carbs, and a little fat each day. Like a small Snickers bar for a snack. Give it a couple of weeks and then see how you feel.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should definitely be eating more.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this calculator. Plug in your info and find your TDEE (calories needed to maintain your weight based on your activity).
    You can then select what type of deficit you want based on your goals. The estimated calories shown is roughly what you should be eating. You can slowly increase your daily calories to the number you get.

Good Luck!

^^^ Do this!
    You need more calories for energy. :wink:

By the way, if you use TDEE method you don't eat back your workout calories. If you use the MFP method, eat back your workout calories. Comes out almost the same.

73529108.png
  • Scythe5
    Scythe5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you are targeting 1400, but burn 400 due to exercise each day...you should be eating 400 more calories, or 1800. (This is an example).

Your goal is to TAKE IN 1400, not limit yourself to 1400 total. You have to eat the exercise calorie loss. Hope this makes sense.
  • Jescalovesjesus77
    Options
    I am 5'3, 21 years old, 150.8 pounds.

I have began working out three weeks ago.

I began with 20-35 minutes on the elliptical five days a week. I also worked at my grocery store 5 days that week.

At first I wasn't eating extremely healthy as I know me... I cannot cut everything out completely at first... I need my body to adjust. The second week I was eating healthier with something sweet like a s'more every other night, this week, I cut EVERYTHING processed out( sugary sweets, pasta, bread, wine, cheese, etc...) and began eating a LOT less.

This past Sunday I have began eating a lot of fruits, veggies, lean meats, soup, protein drinks, etc.
    Yesterday, I worked 7-2:45 and worked out on the elliptical for 25 minutes, and did strength training after. I ate more and I feel much more energetic and better today. :) So I think I just wasn't eating enough and not sleeping enough. I was feeling a bit dizzy at work on Wednesday, btw.