Fitbit/Misfit at the gym?

Options
For anyone who has either of these - how do these devices work at the gym? I currently have a heart rate monitor that I use at the gym, but was wondering if either the Fitbit or Misfit devices could measure activity level at the gym, too (in other words, if I got on the treadmill would it even know if I was running and adjust by calories-burned accordingly?). Or would a HRM be a better choice for the gym and the fitbit/misfit be better for all-day wear?

Also, I've been trying to comb through both of their websites to figure out exactly what they measure, but I'm having a hard time making it super clear. Basically they measure steps (I know there's also goal setting, sleep tracking, and calorie counting) ? Any other neat thing that they do that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Replies

• natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way to measure your heart rate/caloric burn is to use a heart rate monitor. The fitbit only counts steps at present and can be misleading and not even work on an elliptical trainer, for example. There is one coming out that is supposed to have a heart rate monitor built in. I will probably get one when it has a heart rate monitor, but until then I'll stick with my polar. Fitbit can be very motivating, though, from what I've heard. Couldn't hurt to use a combination of fitbit throughout your day, and a heart rate monitor when you are actually working out/at the gym.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    They're glorified pedometers and will be nothing like as accurate as your HRM at the gym. But I kind of hate using chest strap monitors so fitbit/misfit work well for me.

Misfit in particular is completely fire-and-forget -- I wear it on my wrist, I never take it off (it's waterproof), it doesn't need charging (it works on a watch battery), it syncs automatically with my phone (I think the MFP link must periodically poll it) and then MFP gives me extra calories.

The only 'catch' is that it's giving me rather too generous an amount of calories for my exercise levels. Otherwise I'm very happy with it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is a pedometer. A HRM will more accurately guage your calorie burns using the treadmill. It becomes less accurate though when you start doing intervals and that sort of thing. HRMs are best when doing steady state cardio.

With that said, even though they display calorie burns, an HRM is a HEART RATE monitor. I wouldn't take any calorie burns as gospel.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are just using the treadmill (or elliptical, stationary bike) at the gym, then the HRM would probably be better to track calories burned. If you do any type of circuit training, weight lifting, HIT....the HRM is useless for those.