Quitting Addictions Day Two

Options
Ok, so I know I didn't post day one, but I didn't know I was doing it until I was doing it. Yesterday I went to the Doctor's office, because I have a sinus infection, and as protocol would go they put me on the lie detector, also known as, the scale. I've already come to accept the fact that I am very near the weigh that I was full term pregnant with my daughter, so when the nurse slid the larger weight over to 150 I was like, "Yeah I know." But then, SHE KEPT GOING! She slid that little weight all the way down to the 10lbs mark, as my mouth gaped and I said, "ARE YOU SERIOUS???" Sheepishly she replied, "I'm sorry." I am officially over my full term pregnant weight by 3 lbs.

In high school I was about 125 lbs average, around 18 years old I was a solid 130 lbs. After I had my daughter I worked out, and got myself back down to 130lbs....then I turned 21. On top of turning 21 I am also a dj, and for about a year was working two-three times a week which meant about 15-21 drinks a week. Let's say it was all soda water and vodka for the last three years (which you know isn't accurate, but just for the sake of discussion), that's 2100 extra calories a week!

After I stopped djing due to school, work, and baby I noticed I didn't stop drinking. To justify my drinking I told myself, "It's ok to have one or two when you come home from work. You deserve it!" On top of my one or two during the week there was my one night out on the weekends which were around 5-10, depending on the weekend. About three years of this behavior and here I am 30lbs later....

Seeing that scale yesterday at the Doctor's office was like a slap in the face. I kept seeing my weight go up and up, and telling myself, "Yeah I gotta quit drinking, yeah I gotta quit drinking," over and over again like I would eventually do it, but just haven't yet. Convincing myself that I didn't have an addiction, because I had an intention to quit. I even cut back, but no real intention of quitting anytime soon. Maybe I just didn't want to yet. The reality of my weight has MADE ME WANT TO.

So, here I am DAY TWO on my alcohol free diet, and guess what???......For the past two days I have been under my calorie goal. What a surprise! All this going over my goals, and gaining I've been doing is a result of (drum roll please) ALCOHOL! I have absolutely NO DESIRE to drink at all. Every time I came home I would be like, "One's not gonna do much harm." NO! One will do plenty. That scale started my new diet. The first real one of my life, and one I intend on sticking to come hell or high water (in this case loads of free booze). Anyhoo, wish me lots of strength and strong will....

Oh yes, I did say "Addictions" plural...I am also protesting Facebook (see the social network). Myfitnesspal is my new Facebook, so, Hello Everybody! I'm here to stay.

Danica (1/27/11)

Replies

• clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Go you! You CAN do whatever you want to, it is in your hands! Good luck
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was amazed to learn how the body metabolizes alcohol. When ingesting alcohol even small amounts the blood sugar level spikes up, your body will compensate by releasing insulin. Your cells will use the insulin to convert the sugar to energy, but what's left over will be converted into fat.

Here is a really chemistry filled article; http://hamsnetwork.org/metabolism/

Here is an article that tells why insulin insensitivity can lead to weight gain in the body. http://drbenkim.com/articles-bloodsugar.html

Good luck handling your addictions! Just remember it's mind over matter.