Running Rain Gear

Options
I have looked a few times in the area sporting goods stores for something to wear to run while it's raining. I have seen a few jackets and when I feel them I'm not sure they will actually keep the water out at all. I don't want anything too heavy, I live in the South (US), I don't want to be sweating in it.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It won't be cheap but I would look in a running store, they should have something for you.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    As long as you have non-cotton running shirts/shorts, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any actual waterproof gear is going to make you sweat and keep your sweat in (on your skin) just as much as it would keep rainwater out.

I find when I go running in the rain it's best to just embrace getting wet. The first few minutes are miserable until you just accept that you will be soaked, but then when you're saturated it's never as bad as you expected!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Under Armor Storm. I have a Storm hoodie that's wicking on the inside, waterproof on the outside and it's great.

ETA- it's water RESISTANT on the outside, not quite water PROOF. But it's still great.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I bought a jacket for running in the rain. Waste of money. It's waterproof alright but it works both ways; keeps rain out and keeps sweat in.

I clearly remember (on the one time I wore the bloody thing) stopping to cross a road, lowering my arms straight and feel a pool of water flow from my elbows and out through the cuffs. Nasty.

I decided I would rather get wet from the rain. So long as you are wearing a wicking-type material, you're fine.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    As long as you have non-cotton running shirts/shorts, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any actual waterproof gear is going to make you sweat and keep your sweat in (on your skin) just as much as it would keep rainwater out.

I find when I go running in the rain it's best to just embrace getting wet. The first few minutes are miserable until you just accept that you will be soaked, but then when you're saturated it's never as bad as you expected!

I have been happily embracing the rain when it's been 70 and up, I don't care to embrace it when it's 60 and below :laugh: I'm just a baby like that LOL

Thanks kshadows the Under Armor Storm looks like what I'm looking for. Water resistent is good enough.

rsclause - I have looked in running stores, of course the one I like is $175 and I just can't see spending that, especially without some user input on how good it is.

thanks!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I clearly remember (on the one time I wore the bloody thing) stopping to cross a road, lowering my arms straight and feel a pool of water flow from my elbows and out through the cuffs. Nasty.

HAHA YES. Totally been there. When it's warm enough out, I do what everyone has suggested and I just wear sweat-wicking clothes. And a hat - rain in your eyes is super annoying. In the late autumn I will start wearing a rain jacket because it's cool enough that I stop sweating buckets. I just have an all-purpose breathable waterproof jacket from our regional outdoor outfitter store (MEC). I think it was $50 but I use it for more than just running.

The thing I would really like is waterproof shoes though... I know some people get sweaty feet, but I don't, and I hate the *squish squish squish* as I run.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

LOL yeah that pretty much sounds nasty.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use Marmont gear, its water resistant and works great. I'd be interested in UA storm gear too!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't generally bother with rain specific running gear. Actually I don't think I have any. I have super light-weight jackets from Salomon and Patagonia that I might put on as a cold layer but they are more like wind breakers. Water resistance is minimal and it would have to be really cold for me to put them on. Anything truly water proof is going to be too heavy and too warm for me.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I also live in the south. We've been getting a decent amount of rain this year. I just embrace the rain. I'm gonna be sweaty and need a shower after regardless of rain/no rain. I did buy a lifeproof case for my phone though, so I can run with it and not worry about ruining it.