who is doing low carb

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Just because I need to see it in writing - can you still have a 'cheat day' or 'cheat meal' when doing low carb (being in ketosis is just so confusing to me!!!)? I have a major sweet tooth! Can I have that Starbucks white mocha once a week and still lose weight? :)

Technically, if you are wanting to stay in ketosis, you eat below the carb threshold all the time. If you do a cheat meal and go over, you will be knocked out of ketosis and it will take 3 days to a week to get back in (return to fat-adaptation). People say that you don't feel very good switching back and forth. I don't cheat so I wouldn't know about that personally. That said, if your calories are at a deficit, technically you can still lose weight, you will just no longer be in ketosis (aka burning fat instead of sugar).
  • fghtffyrDEMONS
    fghtffyrDEMONS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just because I need to see it in writing - can you still have a 'cheat day' or 'cheat meal' when doing low carb (being in ketosis is just so confusing to me!!!)? I have a major sweet tooth! Can I have that Starbucks white mocha once a week and still lose weight? :)

DISCLAIMER --> I'm not trying to promote or do anything like that, just pointing out what works for me.

This is what I'm on, allows 1 evening a week of carbs
    carbnite.com

Thanks for the reading, I also found this http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/carb-backloading-to-get-lean :D
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb (<20g a day every day) feel free to friend me!

And a note to people interested in carb cycling/backloading - that only really works out if you're very big into exercise/weights generally.
  • Emmy360
    Emmy360 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Looks like Im in the same boat as you..Bread is my weakness and potatoes bloat me up something painful. Pre diabetic symptoms need to be eased and a jumpstart needed for this weight loss so going low carb till christmas. Feel free to add me:flowerforyou:
  • jctackett
    jctackett Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow what do you eat to stay under 20?! I'm trying to stay under 40!
  • Momagon
    Momagon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just now adjusting my goals to go lower carb. I read an interesting study that showed A1C levels can be improved drastically with even a moderate low carb diet. I'm looking forward to reading the posts in this forum to see what works for others.

I had lost about 22 pounds, got sick with bronchitis, and my diet and exercise went out the window. I have gained back about 7 pounds, so I need to get back on the wagon.

Anybody else have trouble sticking to lower carbs when they are sick? When I'm sick, low carb foods are not appealing at all.
  • OldSportOldsport
    Options

I eat a lot of meat (mostly chicken, steak and lamb), some greens (mostly spinach and broccoli) and the very occasional yoghurt. I'm allergic to a lot of things (eggs, fish, peanuts) but all those things are very good for low carbs. I try not to eat/use diet products except for sugar-free energy drinks. Feel free to friend if you want to look at my diary (you can unfriend afterwards if you like).
  • wdellkimberly
    Options
    I eat low carb due to diabetes. I am hoping when I get to my goal weight I may be able to add carbs back in small portions. As of today I have lost 25 pounds with 43 to go. Lets roll!! :smile:
  • baconslave
    Options

I eat a lot of meat (mostly chicken, steak and lamb), some greens (mostly spinach and broccoli) and the very occasional yoghurt. I'm allergic to a lot of things (eggs, fish, peanuts) but all those things are very good for low carbs. I try not to eat/use diet products except for sugar-free energy drinks. Feel free to friend if you want to look at my diary (you can unfriend afterwards if you like).

I keep it under 20 most days. Same goes for me, mostly carnivorous. NO allergies though. In addition, I eat eggs, low-carb dairy (cheese, sour cream, heavy cream), BACON, of course. Occasionally, if I have the carbs left I'll have a serving of almonds. Lunches are simple usually and are tuna or chicken salad with mayo. Or a cut of meat with cheese and sour cream (spiced). I save the bulk of my carbs for supper, where I eat my greens, cabbage, or veggies cooked in butter along with whatever meat I have. I waste 3 carbs in my coffee every morning and still usually squeak in at or under 20. Though some days I want more veggies so I may go as high as 30. I get full a lot sooner than I used to and that makes it easier. I just don't eat as much.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb due to diabetes. I am hoping when I get to my goal weight I may be able to add carbs back in small portions.

Same here, but I understand that diabetes sticks to you for life. (shrugs)
    I, however, keep some carbs in my life where healthy and needed.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would love some help from you guys about low carb, I tried it a few months ago, did it for 3 weeks, and never lost any weight. I was keeping my carbs around 20 per day, I even bought the ketone urine sticks and they showed I was passing large amounts of ketones. I can't figure out why I never lost any weight. Should I be counting calories as well? I really enjoy the food you can eat and the fact that I rarely felt that hunger that says "You Must Eat Now!!!" like I do when I have been having a lot of carbs in my diet. I've been thinking about trying it again. Does it take awhile to start losing weight normally?
  • OldSportOldsport
    Options
    I would love some help from you guys about low carb, I tried it a few months ago, did it for 3 weeks, and never lost any weight. I was keeping my carbs around 20 per day, I even bought the ketone urine sticks and they showed I was passing large amounts of ketones. I can't figure out why I never lost any weight. Should I be counting calories as well? I really enjoy the food you can eat and the fact that I rarely felt that hunger that says "You Must Eat Now!!!" like I do when I have been having a lot of carbs in my diet. I've been thinking about trying it again. Does it take awhile to start losing weight normally?

You have to count calories I'm afraid! If you eat the same as you burn then you won't lose weight. Low carb is a way to get your body burning fat more efficiently as fuel and also a way to satiate yourself with less food, but on it's own it'll do nothing - calories in calories out is key, not the carbs.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Add me, if you'd like. (My diary is open) I do MODERATE carbs...I try to choose my carbs wisely and my sweet spot for carbs is around 85/day...some days I'm under, some over but that is my goal. I understand that no food should be completely cut out; I also know the effect carbs have on me. This is what works for me...it's most likely a combination of eliminating the carb-bounce cravings and the fact that in limiting carbs I limit my calories. Find what works for you and is something that you can stick with. Best of luck to you!
  • getitgirl6
    getitgirl6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    me, I started exactly a month ago and have lost 28 pounds in a month ( started 70 pounds overweight) with no exercise yet. weirdest thing is I have to make myself eat because I am never hungry.
  • charisseb84
    charisseb84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Are you staying strictly 20 carbs and under?
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My wife is so dumb. She thinks "carb cycling" means you should eat potatoes while on your mountain bike.

*ba dum tssshhh* :laugh:
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do low carbs, feel free to add me xx
  • angrygriffin
    angrygriffin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do lowish carb!

What I mean by that is that my choice to go lowish carb is mostly because I know myself and my own behavioral patterns. I do think there's some incredible science to lowcarbing, but I've actually chosen it because it puts me in the zone for exercising self-control/being able to treat myself without eating everything in sight.

I love to mess around with low carb baking. Bring on the flaxseed, almond flour, and coconut flour! Yay!
  • julianabaquero
    Options
    Hiiii I just started using MFP (or re-using it lol), and I'm doing a low cark diet to enter ketosis. I would love to have a pal to encourage me and give me tips... I can see your amazing transformation and I am inspired!! I have to say my weakness and "failing" point would have to be wine and liquor (oops) and chocolate... Can I add any of you as a friend??
  • baconslave
    Options
    Have at it! :smile: