cant imagine myself thin...

Options
hi,

I've always been bigger than my friends and i dont mean size uk12 bigger, i mean size uk18 bigger.
i have always watched them in their little dresses and bikini's and adapted to being the mother of the group but now i want to (and will, so help me god!) lose a lot of weight but im not sure of how things will be!

ive never been thin so cant even imagine wearing a bikini etc!
any one else feel the same way?
i suppose i wont get my head around it till it happens- and it will! :)

xxxx

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It can be hard...a few years ago I lost 5 stone via a slimming club..(now regained plus 2!!!) I think one of the reasons that I did regain it was that I never actually accepted that I was slim...and I was.....when I looked in the mirror I was still fatter than my friends. I still bought clothes one size larger than needed because I mentally expected to regain...and I did...so you really will have to alter your mind set....tell yourself you are looking fantastic......and learn to love your new shape. BUT you can & will do it...just believe!!!
  • marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi, i find it hard to imagine also - but hopefully we will get there! I've never been what you would call thin, but was always happy in a UK size 12. At the moment i am kind of between 14 and 16 (depending on the shop). I just want to get back to a healthy weight and back into those size 12's. If i can do better then so be it, but will wait and see.

I'd love to wear a bikini again someday and feel comfortable on the beach or around a pool this summer playing with my son.

Good luck to you - im sure you will get there! x
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes I know how you feel. I was very thin in school but once the kids came and I got lazy about doing other things the weight came on. I don't want to be that thin again. I want to be healthy!!!! I want to get rid of my hips and belly and once that happens and I am eating healthy the numbers on the scale wont matter anymore. All I want is to be able to run and be able to work out without having to stop because I can't breathe. I have 5k's planned and someday I want to run a marathon but that does not mean I have to be thin to do it!!! I have already walked my first 5k and at the time I was over 200.
    Put your long term goals down on paper then break them down to short term and you will find once you start meeting the short terms you know you will be able to do this!!!

Good Luck
    Mary
  • Dreamgirl97
    Dreamgirl97 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I feel the same one. Just imagine how nice we are going to feel when it actually happens.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what you mean. i was skinny as a child, but it didn't matter then, so i had no idea, and don't really remember it. luckily, or unluckily, i have always seemed to have friends who were larger as well, so there was none of that 'token fat girl' syndrome.

i have seen people who have lost a lot of weight, and thought they looked weird, not because they looked bad, but just because they didn't look like themselves, and almost looked like they were missing something. you get used to the way a person looks, including yourself, so when there is a big change, from a totally different haircut, to a total wardrobe style change, to big weight lose/gain, it can be weird, and take awhile before you see it as normal. i think though, since you see yourself everyday, by the time you reach your GW, it won't be so shocking, you will already be used to your looks.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    true stuff ladies,

its going to be a huge change. The odd thing is, my mum died when i was 17 and that was a collosal change but this feels like a bigger one (not in a disrespectful or cold way) cause i couldnt change what happened then but i am directly changing this myself!
    scary stuff, its the mental change maybe im scared about. its safer to be the chubby invisible girl after all
    the next 6 months are going to fly past!
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    I used to be the same way. Although my body has changed, my inner self is still the shy person. Mentally I'm still the same person for the most part, but my outlook on health and what is normal has definitely changed.

I think once you've reached your goal and you're able to maintain that weight, you'll find yourself a new normal. At least that's what happened to me. Don't be afraid of what will change because once you're there you'll look back and see that you made the right decision all along.
  • kareokemom5
    Options
    I too have never been thin. I come from a family of overweight people. For me this is not just about getting thin, but about changing my life to love myself and take care of me. I have a personality of helping others. I am obtaining a bachelors in human services. I have always let me go even when I was at home I was the mother when mother was not there, which in my teenage years was quit often. I than went on to have five children of my own.
    I want more out of life than sitting around wishing I was someone else. I want to be the me that I dream about being. Strong, secure, inspiring, and loving life!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree. To a degree, I still feel like it isn't physically possible to get down to my goal weight...I just can't picture it. But the thing that's helped me a TON is scouring the Success Story section for women who were my weight or larger who have gotten to their goal weight and who have posted pictures of the transformation. This way, I can see myself in their before pictures and imagine that my body will look similar to them in their after pictures. Maybe there was a less creepy way of trying to say this...
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i agree the sucess stories part is huge motivation!

really feels like we are all doing it together, i honestly do think that people that have been overweight at some point have a better perspective on their bodies once they lose it (thats not intended as an insult to thin people though!)