Fitness affected by Insomnia

2»

Replies

• spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Self-hypnosis/meditation is what does it for me.

To get started I used this particular CD that I took an affinity to that I found kind of relaxing. I set certain relaxation goals in my mind beforehand, and if I hadn't reached a certain "state" by the end of track 5, I started over. I became so consumed in the meditation/relaxation and the music that usually at some point I drifted off to sleep. I kept it the same for a while, almost like sleep training/process for little kids. Now if I'm in bed, I can play the music in my mind and its almost as good.

It worked so well that I can't listen to the CD outside of going to sleep or relaxing because I'll just start nodding off somewhere if I'm not paying attention.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I sleep 5-6 hours a night and I can't average more even if I use sleep aids. I've found that I just don't need more than that. I would be pretty miserable if I tried to force myself to sleep 8-9 hours a day.

I will go through periods where I sleep much less, and I've found that though I feel tired, it doesn't really affect my workouts. I mainly do strength training for exercise, and even though I may feel quite tired, I can move just as much weight as when I feel rested. I've even done workouts with zero sleep with no noticeable impact on my strength. It's critical that you don't psyche yourself out. However, I do believe a lack of sleep can negatively impact recovery, if it is sustained and significant.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Just jumping in so I can find this thread again. I have serious insomnia issues too and definitely need to start trying some of these suggestions.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Hey! I really feel for you. I've had insomnia my whole life and my doctor and I have tried every OTC and rx medication, we've done sleep tests, meditation, aroma-freakin-therapy...everything. The only thing that kinda-sorta worked was a heavy dose of Ambien but it made me feel like I was extremely hungover the next day so I had to choose between sleep deprivation or hangover without the fun times the night before. I took Ambien every other day for about a year and then my doctor cut me off. She PROMISED me (which doctors aren't supposed to do!!) that if I exercise regularly, I will sleep normally. It sucked but I forced myself to do it...and I am almost in tears to tell you that I have slept like a baby every night for the past two years.

I know that you said it's impossible to exercise right now since you're sleeping 2 hours/night. I get that, trust me. But honestly you just have to force yourself. For the first couple of weeks through maybe the first month, there wasn't one day when I felt "eh I don't really mind working out today". It was something I really dreaded but I was so physically and mentally (from work) exausted that I felt like it was finally starting to help me sleep. Then I started seeing changes in my fitness and weight and it kept me motivated to keep going and find new types of exercise I really enjoy. I fall asleep within about 10 minutes now and sleep about 7 hours/night.

I'm not sure how depression fits into this picture, but that's my experience with insomnia and exercise. I really hope you find a solution (and that this one works for you). I know how bad it is and most people don't understand. The worst when people would complain about sleeping poorly for ONE NIGHT. :explode:
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    I've no advise for you, but have great empathy. On occasions through out my life I've had times of insomnia-mostly related to stress. It can really suck the joy out of life quickly. The only relief I got was from reducing the stress-but sometimes that isn't possible. Especially if the stress is due to others' actions. My middle son was the reason for a lot of my sleepless nights. Thankfully his life is on a even keel these days which in turn keeps mine pretty stable.
    Hope relief comes your way soon. :)
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    I have dealt with sleep issues for years....I can usually fall asleep easily (not always though), but I often wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble going back to sleep. It seems to be a common problem from reading the other postings! It is not uncommon for me to go to bed 10:30-11:00 and wake up at 3 am and not be able to fall back asleep, so I read for at least an hour to help me relax again. I have to get up for work shortly after 5 am. A good night's sleep for me is when I can get a total of about 6 hours in. I must just be one of those people that really don't need a lot. The lack of sleep rarely has an effect on my workouts but I think that might just be because I am so used to not getting a lot of sleep, or that my body really just doesn't need 8 hours of sleep. I also take melatonin about 20 minutes before I go to bed, but it doesn't seem to allow my body to sleep thru the night. I do once in a while sleep thru the night, but still do not often get more than 6 hours a night.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    After my daughter died, I struggled on-and-off to sleep at night, and sometimes still do. It does affect fitness, motivation, eating patterns, and the lack of sleep or oversleeping the next day further impacts depression or sad/anxious feelings.

Things that have helped me:

Very low impact exercise. Walking as slow as you want to, for as long as you need to. Your thoughts will wander and swirl around, same as at night, but walking has helped me reduce how negative my thoughts are - how can I tell myself I'm lazy and useless while I'm actively doing something? Walking becomes almost meditative after a while, especially if you have a pretty path to follow.

Waking up at the same time, no matter what. I used to sleep very late, especially if I didn't get to sleep until 4-5am, but that only made it so I wasn't tired at all by bedtime. Then I started waking up at 9am every day for a while, but now I'm managing 7am wakeups. No napping either - it just pushes off bedtime even further.

Another one is, and I don't know if this will help you, but when your thoughts won't shut up, don't try to block them out. That makes me feel worse, so I let them go around my head a bit slower, and I've learned which ones I can just dismiss as silly, and try to let go of the worried/anxious thoughts I have about things I have no control over. Letting myself obsess about something I can't control is like holding on to the reigns and pretending I am in control of a bucking horse. Let go, climb down, and walk away.

Sometimes, having the TV on a medium-low volume (high enough to hear the words if I focus, low enough to tune it out if I don't) helps me a lot too. Something you've watched a million times - lie down, close your eyes, follow the dialogue. Mentally envision the scenes until you can't tell if you're awake or asleep :)
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/sleep.htm

Really helped me understand what was going on.. My sleep has significantly improved, not perfect, but better.

ETA: Echoes a LOT of what Runningforthetrain has said.

Just read through this. AWESOME information! Thanks for sharing! I will certainly try to implement some of these practices into my routine.

You've hit the nail right on the head there. :flowerforyou:

Routine.

..Is key to getting back in touch with your body's natural rhythm (circadian).
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Have had both of those demons most of my life: depression and insomnia. And for me they seem to go hand in hand. During the day I'm about the happiest guy on the planet..but at night the demons visit.

My advice is slightly different than others. I acknowledge that I'm "different". So when the demons visit me at night, instead of just laying there thinking, I get up and read or watch tv until I'm tired...may end up only getting 3 hrs of sleep that night..but the next night I usually get 6 hrs (a lot for me).

Also I love naps..short ones...20-40 mins...usually after an afternoon workout and before dinner.

Some of us are "hardwired" differently and require less sleep than the general pop. If that is you now..welcome to the darkside..we have cookies!
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    I have had sleep problems for the past 5 years or so, but not as bad as insomnia. The Dr prescribed me sleeping pills once but they were so ineffective that I got back out of bed and went clubbing after taking them.

5 minutes of listening to this though, and I am conked right out.

I certainly wouldn't call it "hypnosis" like it says in the title but it works as a brilliant way of relaxing and taking your mind off of things.
    I used to not be able to sleep listening to it because I would even worry that whatever I was listening to it on would still be running all through the night and wasting electricity if I fell asleep. Now I listen to it on my phone because I know when it is finished my phone will just lock itself.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I have had days when 7-8 hours to fall asleep was the norm. Well, math tells you that doesn't leave much room for sleep.

But my sleep has gotten much better .. and exercise I think is a big part of that. I exercise almost every day now and my sleep is much better. My brain .. just is just more calm and that allows for better sleep.

The real trick .. de-stress your life. Stress will kill your sleep and your weight loss too. That is most likely the real reason for your insomnia .. at least it was for me.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Try cutting out all caffeine for a week. Drink water and nothing else. Make your last meal of the day low carb, higher fat, higher protein for a week. Also, go to bed at the same time every night, set the alarm for the same time every morning. The body likes regularity.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I'm a terrible sleeper, I've invested a lot of research and experimentation into my own sleep so here's what works for me:

1. No TV, phone or kindle in the bedroom. The bed is for sleeping in.
    2. Podcasts! It sounds nutty but I swear, I got an ipod and filled it up with podcasts about history, science, pop culture etc. I got a little Bluetooth speaker for it. It does help with bedtime but much more importantly, it helps with the middle of the night wake up and spiral into negativity and panic stuff. As soon as I wake up, I push play and even if I don't fall back asleep right away, at least I'm distracted enough that I don't freak myself out. Audiobooks, meditation, same same. And even a Spotify playlist called "Deep Sleep".
    3. Have a bedtime. It's annoying even for me, but I make myself hit the hay at about the same time every night. It took awhile, but now I actually get sleepy at that time.
    4. Unisom. I know you're looking for non-drug stuff, but it's over the counter and non addictive and doesn't give hangovers, so I recommend at least trying it out.

But really, having something to listen to (so I can keep the lights out and eyes closed) is by far my #1 lifesaver.
    I'm a wreck when I'm tired, I just lay around and eat junk. No control whatsoever.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    I have insomnia too. I agree with audio books/podcasts/old sitcoms on TV (nothing loud or violent). I find if I can focus on listening, my mind stops spinning and I will fall asleep.

I have had some success with Valerian root extract. It's as least as good as any prescription things I've tried, and non-habit forming.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    I feel for you! I have been struggling with insomnia since our house burned down last March....thankfully we were all ok, but it has just been so overwhelming trying to put all the pieces back together. I fall asleep just fine, but wake up in the middle of the night and never go back to sleep....brain keeps racing.

Regular exercise has helped some, but I don't have any other tips...I wish I did, 'cause I'd probably be sleeping better too.
  • Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts, suggestions, and empathy. I have some great takaways from this thread. Hopefully things will improve soon! :smile: