PETS. I need one, I work a lot.

Options
ekg0328
ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
I'm on the fence. I may have an opportunity to adopt a basset hound, and I need some advice ...

(This sweet girl, if the link will work: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10628206_768200746579328_1779025989004132522_n.jpg?oh=01d98dc9957b0563747da91a71f99a58&oe=54C714E3)

Because I work full-time and currently have a nasty Atlanta commute, I'm gone from around 8a-6p Mon-Fri. I've had dogs my whole life, but growing up in a family of six, and splitting duties with my then-boyfriend, dog ownership was different from being a single dogmom. I also live in an apartment in the city. However, I LOVE dogs and I know I'd love her super hard while I'm home. Financially, I'm nervous about committing and potentially needing something like doggy daycare, plus a dog walker would be a good idea.

So, help me out. Who has a dog in a similar situation?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from. Hubs and I adore dogs but we've learned it's not in the cards, at least not at the moment. We tried about 5 years ago - a friend of his needed to find another home for his puppy so we figured it was a sign and gave it a try. But the puppy wasn't as housebroken as we were led to believe and had some other issues and we just didn't have the time to give in the training it needed so we found it a much better home with a friend of a friend. Hard lesson to learn unfortunately...

And the link worked - she's a cutie!

As my uber practical mother used to say when I begged for things - do you "need" it or just "want" it?
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dogs need lots of love and time and attention. If you were prepared to make the commitment to doggy daycare daily, then, that could be awesome. However...not sure how I feel about a Basset in an apt. At least not without proper training. Have you ever heard a basset baying? It's not subtle...
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but I do have a nasty Atlanta commute, so I feel your pain there!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a Basset? They REEK. My ex's parents had 2. Their house always smelled.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Ten hours is a long time for a dog to hold it. My dog does great for eight hours at a time, but when I was out of town for a funeral and my fiance was working 10-hour days, she had accidents every day he worked, which is not like her.

Is there someone in your neighborhood who can maybe come in once or twice a day just to let her out and maybe say hello? I assume you're home weekends, as well.

Older dogs don't usually need as much time and attention as older dogs, but they do need some. Or can you get another pet (maybe a cat?) to keep her company during the day, too?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Dogs need lots of love and time and attention. If you were prepared to make the commitment to doggy daycare daily, then, that could be awesome. However...not sure how I feel about a Basset in an apt. At least not without proper training. Have you ever heard a basset baying? It's not subtle...

Also, I don't know much about this specific breed, so my advice is general.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    At this point, that sounds like a better situation for a cat.

However, have you looked into doggy daycare/dog walker options? If you had a means of getting the dog out during the day, that could work.

Edit: i see that you are considering daycare. My aunt's dog goes to daycare, and he LOVES it. It's hilarious how excited he gets.

I adore Bassets. But you do have to give special attention to their ears or they will stink you out of the house. IME, they do make good apartment dogs.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a Basset? They REEK. My ex's parents had 2. Their house always smelled.

I have an English Bulldog. If you are familiar with this breed, they can be quite "gassy". My dog can literally clear a room in seconds but I love him to bits.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I also live in an apartment in the city.

Financially, I'm nervous about committing and potentially needing something like doggy daycare, plus a dog walker would be a good idea.

I suggest you research the breed. I've been around a few bassets in my day. It does not sound to me like this is the breed for you. If you don't have a yard for it to run around in then you WILL have to get out and walk. Plus, bassets will bay/howl at various sounds like sirens, other dogs barking etc. In an apartment you will become the least liked neighbor very quickly.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had 2 bassetts as a kid, both *****es, and unlike a lot of dogs, they tend to be very playful and clingy to their owners.

Really do need a lot of love and attention.

They are hounds at end of day and they thrive on being in packs be that with other hounds or people.

Like having a baby bro or sis.
  • BookofJarom
    BookofJarom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider a pet that does well in apartments and doesn't mind 10 hours alone every day?

http://www.chiapet.com/ :smile:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Nobody "needs" a pet. You want a pet. If you don't think you can be there to give it the time and attention it deserves, you shouldn't get a dog.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think a pet is quite for you at this time.

You currently don't have the time to commit to a new pet (training, puppy behavior, fostering a rescue - all require much time and patience) but you also seem reluctant to take on the financial responsibility as well.

Maybe volunteer at an animal shelter. You will be in direct contact with the animals you love, be doing them a service and you just might find the right doggie match for you.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You guys are so much more candid with feedback than facebook! Haha.

Of course I'd have to get to know the dog's mannerisms and stuff before I call dibs, but she's sooooooo cuuuute.

I'm not a cat person, it has to be a dog, but who knows when this can become my reality. The opportunity just came up today! I super appreciate the honest feedback!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Bassets are my favorite, my first one we named Droopy :)

They do have a tendency to be a bit gassy, and from my experience they love attention. They really like being around people and other hounds constantly.. If you leave one alone for too long and without a big yard to run around in she'll probably end up howling (like the hound she is!) and that might even bother your neighbors in the apartment complex...
  • valeriestelloh
    valeriestelloh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a dog walker / pet sitter in NY and service many people who are in situations just like you. I come into the person's home somewhere around the middle of the time they're alone and take them outside for an hour. I am sure if you go online you will be able to find people who live in your area that can help out. Good luck!! Val
    :happy:
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get an aquarium. I live in an apartment block, and we're not allowed to keep pets. A dog barked in one of the flats, and the following week, we all received a letter reminding us all, to quickl y remove the pet, or face eviction. It's a good rule to have, as no cat or dog, should be confined to a couple of rooms. It's animal neglect, and can cause stress related deceases, in both humans and animal.
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    A tortoise sounds to be more up your alley. If you want something cuddly, get a cat, but cats can be real *****es and not want to cuddle at all so that defeats the purpose. How about this...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9IyPDFnnjAFg2TETB5slS_1kALR4gkHOHlJMhGdNLwQ1dRMs5
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try a more practical pet first... like a fish or a snake. Something you don't have to actually play with or pay attention to because it sounds like you wouldn't have time for that anyway. A dog needs companionship. Period. To deny them of that is just cruel.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Get an aquarium. I live in an apartment block, and we're not allowed to keep pets. A dog barked in one of the flats, and the following week, we all received a letter reminding us all, to quickl y remove the pet, or face eviction. It's a good rule to have, as no cat or dog, should be confined to a couple of rooms. It's animal neglect, and can cause stress related deceases, in both humans and animal.
    You don't know a whole lot about cats and dogs, do you?