PETS. I need one, I work a lot.

Options

Replies

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've wanted a dog for years now. However, because I work a lot, live in small places and often take off for weekends, I do not have a dog because I would not be able to give the dog the time & attention that it would need. I have 2 cats, because they don't need the time and attention that a dog needs, and they are a lot cheaper. I get my dog fix by volunteering at a local shelter. Someday I'll have a dog, but it will be when I'm more settled in my life and can properly care for it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Good gosh people! Do you all think people who work full time jobs don't have dogs? Can you imagine how many MORE dogs would be killed in shelters if they were so picky that they wouldn't adopt to someone because that person thought a picture of a basset hound was cute, so that somehow makes them unfit to adopt? I could understand a bit of wariness if she wanted to adopt a 6 week old puppy, but she appears to be looking at an adult dog, who has likely come from a much worse home than the one the OP is offering.

I have been involved in dog rescue for 11 years. I have seen unfit owners who dump their "beloved" pets because they had a baby, moved to another state or the dog didn't match their new carpets. We have taken in a dog whose owners ran over his tail with the lawn mower, didn't bother to get vet care and who didn't look for the dog at the shelter for 2 weeks, long after our rescue brought the dog in, treated him for such an infestation of internal parasites that he was terribly anemic, gave him heartworm treatment, neutered him and healed up his maggot filled tail. And that's just one story of MANY I could tell. And many of you are suggesting that the OP is unfit for a dog???

OP, I suggest you do your research on different breeds. Almost any dog can do just fine in an apartment if you are committed to having someone come in and walk the dog once a day (not all dogs like or need doggie daycare) and you are willing to take it for a walk in the mornings and a long walk in the afternoon. Dogs are fabulous companions and are amazingly adaptable. I would stay away from the hounds and the herding breeds, personally. Hounds can be noisy, as has been mentioned before, and herding breeds are extremely high energy and intelligent, which can turn into destructive behavior without the proper amount of exercise. Sign up for training classes and bond with your new dog. Good luck!

While I applaud you for working with animals, I think you are missing a point here. Severe neglect may trump minimal neglect, but that does not mean you should bring a dog into your home if you cannot fulfill its emotional needs. And no, more animals are not being killed because less commuters adopt. Animals in shelters are euthanized because of mass breeding and the societal stigma of mixed breed dogs.

No, it's a combination of both. If there aren't adopters, then the animals are being killed (in kill shelters). What the OP is wanting to do is not minimal neglect. There are too many "rescue snobs" out there who think it's better for a pet to die in a shelter than be treated with what THEY believe is neglect. I work full time. I have 4 dogs. I also train dogs as a second job. And I have a pet sitting business. My dogs are extremely happy, healthy and completely and totally loved. They vacation with us, we don't plan a vacation that is not pet friendly. We don't travel without our dogs (and they are 4 large dogs). There is not one iota of neglect when it comes to my dogs.

My neighbor who lived behind me stayed home all the time because he was disabled. His dog lived 24/7 on the back deck, with no access to the yard, never walked, almost never any attention from anyone in the house. He was fed once a day. The deck was scooped a couple of days a week. But hey, the owner was home full time.

Not every person should adopt an animal. Lady if you want to believe that it is okay to leave an animal alone for 10-12 hours a day, that is your prerogative. I am not going to agree with that off base opinion. Really, "rescue snobs"?. I worked at a no kill shelter for years, and I can guarantee I'd rather a "rescue snob" come into my shelter than someone who knows nothing about a breed but is dead set on adopting it and putting that animal in an apartment. 9/10 times that dog will come back to the shelter or end up on Craigslist. I am not saying this woman is going to neglect that dog or that even if an owner is home they will treat it correctly. What I am stating is that no one that knows anything about Bassets would think of leaving one in an apartment for that long. If you will check my first response to her, I actually suggested she try and get a senior, low energy dog. Your assumptions are pretty hilarious though. Your four dogs have each other for companionship, and no one said anything about you neglecting them. Guilty much?

I have no guilt because I know how good my dogs have it. In the 11 years that I have fostered, I have placed over 70 of my foster dogs in homes. Not one was rehomed, dumped at a shelter or ended up on CL. Because I do make sure it's a good match between the adopter and the dog. I don't make blanket decisions based on one comment that the adopter made about a dog being cute. I think a lot of dogs are cute, because they are. That doesn't make someone unfit to adopt a dog. I think many of us suggested that a basset hound wasn't likely a good choice for her in an apartment. But just because that one dog isn't the right dog for her, doesn't mean another one is the perfect one.

I am not sure why you are so defensive. I never called anyone out specifically and I was taking information from several different posters that I was responding to.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Good gosh people! Do you all think people who work full time jobs don't have dogs? Can you imagine how many MORE dogs would be killed in shelters if they were so picky that they wouldn't adopt to someone because that person thought a picture of a basset hound was cute, so that somehow makes them unfit to adopt? I could understand a bit of wariness if she wanted to adopt a 6 week old puppy, but she appears to be looking at an adult dog, who has likely come from a much worse home than the one the OP is offering.

I have been involved in dog rescue for 11 years. I have seen unfit owners who dump their "beloved" pets because they had a baby, moved to another state or the dog didn't match their new carpets. We have taken in a dog whose owners ran over his tail with the lawn mower, didn't bother to get vet care and who didn't look for the dog at the shelter for 2 weeks, long after our rescue brought the dog in, treated him for such an infestation of internal parasites that he was terribly anemic, gave him heartworm treatment, neutered him and healed up his maggot filled tail. And that's just one story of MANY I could tell. And many of you are suggesting that the OP is unfit for a dog???

OP, I suggest you do your research on different breeds. Almost any dog can do just fine in an apartment if you are committed to having someone come in and walk the dog once a day (not all dogs like or need doggie daycare) and you are willing to take it for a walk in the mornings and a long walk in the afternoon. Dogs are fabulous companions and are amazingly adaptable. I would stay away from the hounds and the herding breeds, personally. Hounds can be noisy, as has been mentioned before, and herding breeds are extremely high energy and intelligent, which can turn into destructive behavior without the proper amount of exercise. Sign up for training classes and bond with your new dog. Good luck!

While I applaud you for working with animals, I think you are missing a point here. Severe neglect may trump minimal neglect, but that does not mean you should bring a dog into your home if you cannot fulfill its emotional needs. And no, more animals are not being killed because less commuters adopt. Animals in shelters are euthanized because of mass breeding and the societal stigma of mixed breed dogs.

No, it's a combination of both. If there aren't adopters, then the animals are being killed (in kill shelters). What the OP is wanting to do is not minimal neglect. There are too many "rescue snobs" out there who think it's better for a pet to die in a shelter than be treated with what THEY believe is neglect. I work full time. I have 4 dogs. I also train dogs as a second job. And I have a pet sitting business. My dogs are extremely happy, healthy and completely and totally loved. They vacation with us, we don't plan a vacation that is not pet friendly. We don't travel without our dogs (and they are 4 large dogs). There is not one iota of neglect when it comes to my dogs.

My neighbor who lived behind me stayed home all the time because he was disabled. His dog lived 24/7 on the back deck, with no access to the yard, never walked, almost never any attention from anyone in the house. He was fed once a day. The deck was scooped a couple of days a week. But hey, the owner was home full time.

You have 4 dogs. They provide companionship for each other. You also have SPACE. At least, I assume you do because large dogs and a pet business kind of requires it.

OP s talking about adopting 1 dog of a breed that needs a lot of companionship - she's single, works 10 hours a day. She doesn't know if she can afford a met sitter, if needed. She lives in an apartment and likely lacks the space for the breed as well.

I am not being a snob when I tell her it's a bad idea.
  • Mikkimeowza
    Options

Not every person should adopt an animal. Lady if you want to believe that it is okay to leave an animal alone for 10-12 hours a day, that is your prerogative. I am not going to agree with that off base opinion. Really, "rescue snobs"?. I worked at a no kill shelter for years, and I can guarantee I'd rather a "rescue snob" come into my shelter than someone who knows nothing about a breed but is dead set on adopting it and putting that animal in an apartment. 9/10 times that dog will come back to the shelter or end up on Craigslist. I am not saying this woman is going to neglect that dog or that even if an owner is home they will treat it correctly. What I am stating is that no one that knows anything about Bassets would think of leaving one in an apartment for that long. If you will check my first response to her, I actually suggested she try and get a senior, low energy dog. Your assumptions are pretty hilarious though. Your four dogs have each other for companionship, and no one said anything about you neglecting them. Guilty much?

I have no guilt because I know how good my dogs have it. In the 11 years that I have fostered, I have placed over 70 of my foster dogs in homes. Not one was rehomed, dumped at a shelter or ended up on CL. Because I do make sure it's a good match between the adopter and the dog. I don't make blanket decisions based on one comment that the adopter made about a dog being cute. I think a lot of dogs are cute, because they are. That doesn't make someone unfit to adopt a dog. I think many of us suggested that a basset hound wasn't likely a good choice for her in an apartment. But just because that one dog isn't the right dog for her, doesn't mean another one is the perfect one.

I am not sure why you are so defensive. I never called anyone out specifically and I was taking information from several different posters that I was responding to.

Speaks of us being defensive, yet subtly refers to me as a "shelter snob" and then details the lives of her four pets without anyone asking...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Since you are so good at matching dogs with owners -- would you say a basset is a good choice for a single person home, when that home is an apartment, and the owner is gone 10 hours a day?
  • climbinghigh88
    Options
    Pug or French bulldog! Tons of fun and very loving!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It is possible to provide a good home for a dog, even in an apartment with a full-time job. But it takes a steady commitment of time, energy and money. OP, please do not "call dibs" on the first dog available. Instead, work with a good rescue group to find the right match for your circumstances. Be prepared for detail screening about your lifestyle and intentions and don't get huffy or offended. If you don't qualify, try again when your ability to commit to another life improves.

Why is this girl available? Do you know the owners? If so, please recommend that they turn her over to a Basset rescue group so an appropriate home can be found.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience... and if it were me (and I actually liked dogs) Sorry... I don't think I'd be home enough to give a dog enough attention. They need a lot or they won't be trained well (so many hours a day of doing whatever they want leads to bad habits). I think it would be irresponsible to get a dog, based on the dogs perspective. My brother's small dog is in this situation. He's locked in a large cage all day (he can roam a bit but they can't let him out or he pees all over the place) and he's poorly trained despite their efforts - continues to jump, lick, doesn't listen to commands... overall, he's a cute, nice dog, but just not what I think is acceptable in dog behaviour if you ever intend on having guests over. I know my brother will bring his dog with him when visiting my mom. And since he usually leaves before me I get the pleasure of hearing my mom say "I'm glad that dog is going home now" - it's sad to see, even though my family has great relationships and we love seeing each other, that instead of my mom feeling disappointed about my brother going home, she's just relieved the dog is not in her house.

But that might just be me, I don't know how much money you make or how many trips you like to take or how often you go out after work. I know I usually spend a few nights a week out of the house with friends or family and I like to take spur of the moment road trips. Not everyone does those things so frequently.

A cat might handle the alone time better.

Weird thought though... would your work approve you bringing your dog with you to work? It's becoming a thing now these days - dogs improve office mentality statistically (That being said, I quit a job I was at for 2 years because they had 3 dogs and I dislike dogs and couldn't put up with it anymore). It depends on the size of your office and staff and if the dog has a place outside to go. It might be a weird conversation to have. And I wouldn't bus with a dog... this would only work if you drive to work.

ETA: Other factors to consider: Does your apartment allow dogs? How is the sound transmission between suites in your apartment? Would you have to get the dog's voice box removed? Would you be okay with possibly getting complaints from other tenants about your dog even if they are allowed in your apartment? Would the dog have enough space to run around during the other 9 hours it isn't being walked by the dog walker? Will you be able to keep you apartment hair and dog-smell free enough to the point where your friends/family will still want to come over?

A lot of these questions depend on the size of your apartment, the dog, the breed of dog, your neighbourhood, etc. So it is possible to have a dog in your case... but you need to think hard and about the entire situation.

ETA: Have you met with this dog in person and could you possibly try it out for a week or two (like a temporary fostering) to see how it goes? Of course keep in mind the dog might be uncomfortable, but you should get a feel for if it is well behaved.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So, help me out.
    I feel like I have to defend myself as an animal-lover right now, which isn't something that I have ever had to do, but of course I have reasons beyond it being soooooo cuuuuuuuute to wanting a dog.

tumblr_m30tlbRMV61qacv60o1_500.gif
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks to the poster whose name I forget but who suggested that a LOT of people have full time jobs and provide a great life for their pets. That's basically all I'm asking - how can I best do that?

It's not that daycare's out of the question - I could easily make sacrifices (stop doing Pure Barre for $220/mo and start at a regular gym with workout classes for $30/mo) to find a way to fit it in the budget. People hear what they want to hear and assume the worst - I can give the dog a good life! I'm just looking for advice from people who've been in similar situations.

My dream job would be one that I could bring my pet to work! I have a friend who "dog shares" with some of his friends, and they take care of the same dog. That would also be awesome. Unfortunately, I can't bring my dog to work, and I don't know many people in my neighborhood. But! Someday!

All of this being said - I recognize that it's a sacrifice, but I do NOT think that anyone should tell me that if I adopt this dog that it's ANIMAL CRUELTY.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is possible to provide a good home for a dog, even in an apartment with a full-time job. But it takes a steady commitment of time, energy and money. OP, please do not "call dibs" on the first dog available. Instead, work with a good rescue group to find the right match for your circumstances. Be prepared for detail screening about your lifestyle and intentions and don't get huffy or offended. If you don't qualify, try again when your ability to commit to another life improves.

Why is this girl available? Do you know the owners? If so, please recommend that they turn her over to a Basset rescue group so an appropriate home can be found.

Man, no one knows the research that I've done. I didn't realize that everyone would be so literal on everything that I say. This is awkward.

She's available because someone found her wandering on the side of a highway. When they checked her for a microchip, it brought up the breeder information. The breeder contacted the owners, and the owners didn't care that she was missing. She spent a lot of time tied up in the yard without much love. So, the adoption folks are working out a deal to buy the dog from the previous owners, and contacted me to see if I was interested. I've volunteered with their shelter in the past and I expressed interest in the dog on facebook.

That's the story, I didn't see a cute puppy and ask my daddy for the doggy in the window.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have basically the same schedule that you have. I got a pet monitor that dispenses treats, so I interact with my dog a lot during the day. I call the house and the answering machine goes off, so I talk to him and he gets in front of the camera and does tricks for a treat...when I get home he sits on my lap until we go to sleep he sleeps under my bed. He is very happy and I am sure whatever dog you pick will be happy too, they sleep most of the day anyway.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I have seen unfit owners who dump their "beloved" pets because they had a baby , moved to another state or the dog didn't match their new carpets.
    If you have a baby and you find out that, for some reason or another (allergies, dog bites, other), the baby and the dog don't mesh, I should hope that, as responsible parents, they would do what they needed to make a healthy home for their child. The day the "beloved pet" comes ahead of the needs of the child is the day I hope to God CFS shows up on those parent's doorstep.

Other reasons can be pathetic though. I draw the line at risking not being able to keep a child healthy/happy.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have basically the same schedule that you have. I got a pet monitor that dispenses treats, so I interact with my dog a lot during the day. I call the house and the answering machine goes off, so I talk to him and he gets in front of the camera and does tricks for a treat...when I get home he sits on my lap until we go to sleep he sleeps under my bed. He is very happy and I am sure whatever dog you pick will be happy too, they sleep most of the day anyway.

This sounds kind of adorable.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    OP, what is awkward is using language/ideas that veteran shelter workers hear constantly from people who aren't the best candidates to adopt. They NEED a dog. The dog is CUTE. Taking about adopting a breed that isn't ideal for your living situation but expecting people to know that YOU aren't like THAT.

I wish you well in your endeavors.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    a dog sounds like a bad idea for you. i agree with opting for a cat.

me? i prefer fake plants.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Man, no one knows the research that I've done. I didn't realize that everyone would be so literal on everything that I say. This is awkward.

She's available because someone found her wandering on the side of a highway. When they checked her for a microchip, it brought up the breeder information. The breeder contacted the owners, and the owners didn't care that she was missing. She spent a lot of time tied up in the yard without much love. So, the adoption folks are working out a deal to buy the dog from the previous owners, and contacted me to see if I was interested. I've volunteered with their shelter in the past and I expressed interest in the dog on facebook.

That's the story, I didn't see a cute puppy and ask my daddy for the doggy in the window.

Well, you left all that out. All you said was the dog is cute and the opportunity to "call dibs" had come up today - HUGE red flags to those of us who have heard it before. Keep working with this group. Let them spend some time with this girl. If she's been left neglected in a yard, she may be a howler, a bad fit in an apartment. Maybe offer to foster her over a weekend. If you can, start working on those long nails! Good luck to you and her!
  • NoriDupuis
    NoriDupuis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    can you affored dog day care at less 3 times a week? Do you have the energy to take him for an hour walk at less 3 time a day once before workk once right after and one late at night?

the dog your looking at might not be the best idea how ever you can get a dog but look for somthing a little more lay back and well lazy, englush bull dog or adopted a senour dog that will be good left for long hours. you can also look in to a dog walker...but you have to be ok having someone enter your home during the day when your away

I work night and my shifts are usally 8 to 10 hours
    my dog sleep in his crate not only when Ia m at work but for 5 hours when i sleep during the day. He has a great life and is in good health. My vet and dog traner agree he is very happy puppy and well behaved for his age.
    I walk moose when I get home ether on his trade mil or we go for a walk. I walk him when I get up and I walk him before work. I go to the dog park 3 times a week and some tiems if I feel I need more rest or if I am going to be away for longer then normal I bring him to day care.

what I am trying to say is if you are like me and need animals in your life to fel whole there are a million ways to make sure your puppy will be happy and well taken care of. I would not suggest a puppy thou because I did that and trust me when I say you dont want to do it. look for a dog around 4 or 5 : good lluck my friend and may you find your furry love some tiems they are the only lves that last :)
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I Have a similar schedule, I'm home more than you are, but my dog stays in his kennel when I'm not home. He is more comfortable there, he hangs out in his kennel when I'm home even! He has no behavioral issues, is very well trained, I live in a very tiny studio apartment and haven't had any issues with him. He is very very loved and gets a significant amount of attention from me and my boyfriend when we are home, and he does get long walks just about every single day. I think that is the most important thing. So, I wouldn't rule out that you shouldn't get a dog, however, I don't think a basset hound is the right one for an apartment. For one the crying when your not home, the barking any time someone walks by even when you are home, and it just probably isn't enough space for the dog to play and be active in if you don't have a yard. But, that's also where dog parks become very handy as well!!
    Just an example, my dog is very quiet, but it drives me nuts when im home working on homework and the dog in the apartment above me is crying/howling all day long while her family is at work. And if other neighbors complain, you may have to move or get rid of a dog that you have come to love!
    All in all, you are willing and have the resources to take care of a dog, but maybe try to learn more about this particular dog's personality before deciding? And good luck either way!
  • NoriDupuis
    NoriDupuis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sorry I just read down the list......adopting a dog with behavoural issues is realy hard. I had a bull mastiff that almost killed me (from lack of sleep) but it is amaing when you can get them to be the dog the where born to be. I wish you luck my friend. You have a hug heart :) maybe you can have your frieds at the shelter help you train her(him). Maybe he can even go hang out there during the day or depending on what you do maybe he(her) can hang out at work with you.