Transitioning to maintenance

Options
2»

Replies

• JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I hit within .5 pounds of my goal weight mid August. As a point of reference, my GW is 130 and goal weight range 128-132...

At first, I just changed my settings from lose 1 pound/week to lose .5 pounds/week (this added 90 cals/day). I wanted to be sure it wasn't just a weekly weight fluctuation, so waited till next weekly weigh-in to be sure. After I weighed in at goal the following week and confirmed I was indeed at GW, then I started making changes.

In early Sept, I switched goal settings to maintenance (yay!) which added on 220 cals/day. I decided that for first month I would eat to the new caloric daily goal of 1530, but would not eat back exercise calories. I actually lost an additional 2 pounds over this period of a month.

This past week, I've started eating back exercise calories, because quite frankly, I'm hungry and am on low end of GW range (actually a little below)... :-). So far I am maintaining at the low end of my GW range :-) Will keep making adjustments as needed as I learn how best to manage and enjoy maintenance. Praying for success!!

Hugs,

Jean
  • mojisha
    mojisha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the idea of setting your goal weight about 3 lbs lower and give yourself that range to maintain. After a couple of weeks of maintenance I usually stayed at the lower end of the range, but I haven't gone over the top of the range (I.e. my original goal) since I started maintenance a few months ago. There is a great thread on here that explains why your body gains water weight when you go into maintenance.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

I started transitioning to maintenance by increasing my daily cals by 100, then reviewing at the end of the week and adding a further 100 cals. I also increasing the exercise intensity.Yes the weight loss slowed down abit but not much due to the increased exercise. Also it set up nicely for maintenance with a stronger exercise routine. You might also wish to think carefully about how you use the extra cals - I was already happy with the foods on my weight loss plan so added in a couple of snacks with more protein and the odd tub of ice cream. The 100 cals a week takes patience as I was tempted many times to jump from 1400 cals to 1600 but managed to stick it out with the help of MFP and my trusted kitchen scales.

Enjoy your journey thru maintenance.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking at maintenance now, with only 1 pound to lose to get to my goal. I can't even believe that! Not sure how I will change my calories, but it won't be by much.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the exception here. I just jumped right into all my maintenance calories. I lost a little at first then gained it back, I'm talking not even 2 pounds, and have been just a teensy bit under goal ever since.
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am going to search for the thread on water weight, thanks! I weighed myself today and I am down another lb to 115, which was my original GW. I have manually adjusted my calories on MFP to about 1350/day, and I try to get to that but for the past few days I have been below. I am so worried about gaining! I am only 5'2 so I can really tell when I have gained even a couple lbs.
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Trust the tape measure and skinfold calipers more than just the weight scale.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    when I hit goal weight I started to reverse diet up to maitenance.

Initially 100 a day for a week then another 100...I gained a bit so slowed it to 50 for the week (each day for those who are tired)

In about 6 weeks I hit what I thought could be maitenance but had lost an additional 2lbs (which was fine) then stayed at about 2k a day for the summer and continued to lose about 1/4lb a week so I knew I needed to adjust (re-calculated my TDEE) and found out it's about 2250....hence the weight loss but I had to give myself a good 4-6 weeks to see for sure...

But I never got out of my range....so I was maintaining. I had small increases here and there but mainly down...

It just showed me I could eat like this and lose so I set my goal lower....:bigsmile: hence the 2lbs to go...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Trust the tape measure and skinfold calipers more than just the weight scale.

I wouldn't trust a skinfold caliper at all...to many chances of errors in those.

Instead of just trusting one or two measurments take them all into consideration

Tape measure, weight, clothing, BF% (from a reliable source), Even BMI to a degree but mostly how you feel and what you see in the mirror and if you are good to go that's all that matters.