What does it actually feel like?

13»

Replies

• C5North
    C5North Posts: 50 Member
    Well i still have a loooooong ways to go BUT I am down 35 pounds from my fattest. Everyhting is better

-Back doesn't hurt as much. I know that is only goign to get better.
    -I can climb stairs without feeling like I am goign to toss a lung.
    -I can tie my shoes by simply bending over. I haven't been able to do that in 10 years. I always just left them tied.
    -I just RAN outside. I don't run. I still have a ways to go with this but DAMN I ran and I didn't feel like I was goign to die.

I still have 140 more to go so I can only imagine how I'll feel when I am closer and closer to that.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    GMOsAF0.jpg
  • bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    - you can be amazed when you are folding and putting away clothes that you can actually fit in to that, because it looks so small

I get amazed every time i do the washing
    pegging 4 shirts across a wire, when I use to just fit 2

I'm like, who's tiny shirts are these?????

*take a closer look*

Oh they're mine :)

-Being able to walk on an airplane without putting my gut or butt in someone's face.

I also love not having to say " 'scuse me, 'scuse me, 'scuse me " / getting people to move, every time i try to leave a shop / restaurant, cause i couldn't fit through a "normal person" gap. Now I can just walk on through...

I've gone from 2XL(size 20-22 Aust) down to XS (size 10 Aust)
    Lost 101lb
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    There has been some winters where my body weight has crept up. I've noticed that is the only time I've had heart burn and needed things like Tums or Rolaids.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Great topic!
    -being able to cross my legs without using my hands (by far my favorite)
    -being able to real pushups
    -being able to regular boots (no more searching wide calves)
    -being able to enjoy activities with my children
    -creditability in my profession (medical field)

You can do it....it starts slow but happens quick
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Seeing the comments about public speaking, and men being more of a gentleman made me think of something I heard many years ago and never forgot: "When a man speaks, people listen. When a woman speaks, people look, and if they like what they see, then they listen." I found this to be very true. Most of my life, I bounced from between 135-150. After I had my daughter, I sat around 170. I noticed people treated me differently. Then I ballooned up to 210. People treated me A LOT differently. Not I'm around 140, and people are again treating me differently - better differently. Sad. But true.

That's very sad, but unfortunately, it's too often true. I'm a guy. At my lightest adult weight, I was 135 lb. At my heaviest, around 225. But because I'm male and a professional who dresses appropriately, I never thought that people discounted what I had to say because I was fat. In fact, big guys can be imposing; my fat was in general distributed around my body, so I looked big and somewhat puffy but not obviously obese.

As for the benefits of losing weight: I was a fit fat guy, but it was really annoying having to deal with a substantial belly when sitting on the sofa, and climbing hills on my bike was a lot harder at 220 pounds than at 155. And I can run again, something I had to give up when I was overweight because it put too much strain on my knees.
  • KMW1219
    KMW1219 Posts: 63 Member
    Im so glad I decided to read through this post. It has me so motivated. I can't wait till the day I can feel awesome like all of you!!
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    I can get down without it hurting, you take up less space, wind actually moves me around more, bumping into things hurt because you no longer have padding.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    1) Small tasks become easier {ie tying shoes, cleaning up around the house}
    2) Clothes get nicer {big man clothes have never been flattering}
    3) Confidence will abound
    4) people will compliment you all the time
    5) More respect
    6) the pride of self achievement
    7) eating less becomes much easier, so less food cost
    8) less sweating in the heat
    9) You wont get hot wearing a coat in the winter
    10) nicer nights of sleep
    11) more athletic in the bedroom.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    My personal experience is that I can't describe what it feels like since I mentally flip-flop between pre-loss me and now-me. When I get a response or comment from someone now that would have never occured pre-weight loss, but my current mentality is how I've felt and identified with for most of my adolescent and adult life (which was 50-75lbs. overweight), it messes me up a bit. I forget.

The weirdest is when people make assumptions about my personality based on my current physical appearance, both positive and negative. Sometimes it's entertaining because of how off-base they are, and sometimes it really upsets me. Still grappling with that one.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I think everyone has hit all the main points, but I will list mine anyway lol. It feels fabulous! So often, I hear about people who have lost a lot of weight and are surprised to be still unhappy. I feel way happier. I love buying clothes now. I love not having to shop at Lane Bryant. When I have to pee in the night, I just get right out of bed, before I would be like a turtle stuck on it's back.
    I love crossing my legs at the knee! I love going to the grocery store and realizing that I think it's freezing inside. I will never ever go back even if it means counting, weighing and measuring every day for the rest of my life.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Wow, so many to list. I lost over 70 lbs. years ago and never looked back. I'd say:

- Self confidence when walking into a room
    - More confidence talking to women
    - Self confidence when public speaking
    - Knowing that I can do anything physically that I want to do
    - Doing a chin-up (I NEVER could do one growing up and now I can do them with extra weight added)
    - Clothes still don't fit, but this time it's because my thighs, torso and arms are too big, not my belly!
    - Wearing fitted shirts, not "big man" clothes
    - The knowledge that I know how to lose the weight and keep it off. This is something most fitness professional have never had to do, so many really do not know what it takes besides what the textbook says.

That's just a few off top of my head.
    Losing the weight truly changed my life so don't give up!

I love this!

For me, it kind of changed over time. In the beginning I was getting a lot of attention that I wasn't used to and I actually found it pretty stressful. There was a big disconnect between the way I felt and how people were treating me. Then once I adjusted...it mostly just either feels like something I don't worry about or something fun. It's fun to live fully in your body and enjoy doing things with it. I also like buying clothes for myself again and trying new things...it's basically all good :flowerforyou:
  • I like to feel my flat tummy, rib cage, and hip bones. There was actually a thread about his a while back. I like lying on my side and not feeling the side of my stomach on the mattress. I like trying on clothes and they usually fit, and often finding my size on sale.
    I find certain *activities* more enjoyable. :)
    I'm not in very good shape right now in regards to upper body muscle mass, but when I used to lift I enjoyed the feeling of lifting heavy things in day to day life and challenging my body when I lifted. I used to like running my fingers along my tricep and bicep muscles. I even liked posing in front of the mirror. :blushing:

It's a proud feeling, and when I'm there, I don't understand the me who just lets it all go.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    I still forget I'm skinny or slim. I'm always shocking myself when trying on clothes and shoes. I love not having to shop in the Plus size section anymore. It's easier to find shoes now that I'm no longer a size 10/11, and can wear 8/9 shoes now. It is harder to find clothes now in my size. I tend to find stuff that's too big while browsing :-( Three times this past week people have said to me wow! you just keep getting smaller and smaller. you're just so skinny now. Congrats that's so awesome! I never know how to respond, just like Umm...thanks? I don't think I'll ever get used to guys hitting on me. My journeys never been about being more attractive just healthier. I guess the two go hand and hand.

Anyways it feels awesome, and I feel more confident. I feel like I can do anything I set my mind too. Since I have PCOS I feel like I can finally say it can kiss my *kitten*! I'm in control instead of my poor health controlling me.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Saw a few threads today about being sick and though.... man, I haven't been sick since I got healthy. Dunno if it was as much losing the weight or working out, but it was my NSV today :)

*knocks on wood*
  • lstanisz79
    lstanisz79 Posts: 17 Member
    This is the best thread that I have read! It has made me cry with happiness for everyone of you who have reached your goal or starting out new or are working through the process. Congratulations to all of you! Amazing accomplishments. I've lost 45 pounds with another 35 to go, but I feel AWESOME! So impowered! Some of these NSV's I can relate to and others I'm so looking forward to. Thank you all for being so giving of yourself to share these very personal victories. Each of you ROCK!