How To Recover From A Fast?

Options
Before I get any comments about not fasting, this is for religious reasons so please be nice. :)

So I have to fast tomorrow, and we end the fast with a large meal after sunset. Instead of the large meal, should I eat a smaller/normal-sized meal and just continue on with normal meals but still have the fasting deficit, or should I eat the large meal and most likely eat all of my calories for the day and then just resume normal eating? I don't want to binge on a ton of food and stretch out my stomach nor do I want to hinder my metabolism, so I'm not exactly sure how to end the fast... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you celebrating yom kipor? (excuse the spelling I'm sure I screwed it up somehow lol)

The reason I asked is that my boss ( who is also a huge fitness fan) is Jewish. To break her fast, she resumes to normal eating. She doesn't go overboard but just eats until she's full for the first meal then after that just goes back to the normal routine.
  • dragonfare
    Options
    I've done 3-day fasts and found them to have great long-term effects on my health, so I'm certainly not going to tell you not to fast. But all my research says to be careful, so I vote that you eat a small meal after your fast.
  • Chloe9218160
    Chloe9218160 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you celebrating yom kipor? (excuse the spelling I'm sure I screwed it up somehow lol)

The reason I asked is that my boss ( who is also a huge fitness fan) is Jewish. To break her fast, she resumes to normal eating. She doesn't go overboard but just eats until she's full for the first meal then after that just goes back to the normal routine.

Yup! Yom Kippur it is! Btw, there are many spellings because it is transliterated from Hebrew, so no spelling is wrong. :)
  • Weightlosstips
    Weightlosstips Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It is advisable that you do not go overboard when you resume eating. I generally have something warm/hot first then a meal after. A one day fast does not require any drastic change in your eating habits.
    if however you do more than one day then you will break it with light foods, eg juice soup etc then fruit then gradually step up to your regular diet. Fasting is definitely one of the best ways for your organs to heal and rejuvenate.
    All the best.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday! Just eat until your satisfied and try not to go overboard. ( my boss and her family are orthodox so I have to attend each celebration and help out, so I've seen many family members over eat And get very sick stomachs after fasting) but personally, I'd worry more about enjoying your family and celebrating and then get back on your routine after the holiday is over ;-)
  • FeelGood329
    FeelGood329 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Gmar Chatima Tova!
    גמר חתימה טובה
    Hope you're fast is going well...
    I am worrying about the exact same thing for tomorrow night when we go to my aunt's house for the break fast!

good luck ;)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as fasting. Just think of it as not eating until dinner. If you're hungrier and want a bigger dinner, have one. Your stomach will shrink back up. That's what stomachs do. :) The following day, resume your eating habits.

Atoning - that's the hard part. The food? Easy-peasy. :)
  • Chloe9218160
    Chloe9218160 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help and have an easy fast and a good Yom Kippur! :)