What's the secret behind weight loss??

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    The smaller the number you are trying to lose the slower it will come off. Given that your overall goal is to lose 30 pounds your goal should be to lose 1/2 pound a week, which is two pounds a month. I think your calorie count is off and that you are eating more calories than you think you are. Getting a scale and weighing everything (and measuring liquids unless your drinking water or other no calorie drinks) will improve your accuracy and you will see the numbers dropping.
  • harshada10
    harshada10 Posts: 43 Member
    Make an instagram account (it takes 2 minutes) and go follow @LowCalFoodie

I just found them the other day and they post tons of low calorie food options that you can find anywhere!

It's such a cool account and they say they will be posting a ton more to come!!

The secret is eating LESS calories so this account is perfect!

I hope this helps (:

Following them but I think they just started new as I cannot see many things there.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Before the industrial revolution, think about how often people ate foods high in carbohydrates. Sure, bread and rice was still consumed but nowhere near at the levels we see today.

Before the industrial revolution (late 18th-19th century), but after the agricultural revolution (beginning with the transition to the Neolithic, up to 10,000 years ago depending on where you look), people ate foods high in carbohydrates all the time. That is precisely what the transition to cereal agriculture involved: a shift to wheat, barley, rye, oats, emmer, rice, millet, maize, and all the other cereal crops. I recall one of my reference works on the social history of Europe noting that early modern workers (before the industrial revolution) might get over 80% of their daily calories from bread. That's one reason that the first response to a bad harvest was often to impose price controls on bread, because otherwise there would be bread riots.

People could only eat fresh meat when it was slaughtered (if they could afford it), and eggs and dairy were often luxuries. Cereals and legumes (which were called "meat" by many early modern writers, e.g. by Francis Bacon in his Essays—meaning solid, substantial food, as opposed to drink) were the basic elements of poor people's diets. Of course, the more refined white flour was usually beyond the means of all but the wealthy, so it was whole grain bread with the germ. Those with garden plots might have some leafy vegetables, but certainly not year round.

A lot of those foods were more nutritious before the age of monoculture. The rich, nutritious potatoes that were cultivated in late 18th-century Ireland were replaced in the early 19th century with the "lumper" variety, which was less nutritious but had a higher yield; unfortunately it proved to be especially susceptible to late blight. And the refined flours produced in industrial mills were far less nutritious than the coarse peasant flour made in preindustrial mills.

The health problems associated with eating lots of refined carbohydrates, and added sugars, in the 20th and 21st centuries can't be retrojected to the far more nutritious cereal breads, tortillas, millet bread, etc. of the preindustrial world.
  • let me help you out. Consume 66% or more of fat from whole foods. 22-26% from protein and keep carbohydrates 10% 0r below. Drop the sugar/sugar drinks/breads/grains. and gluten wheat products, cakes and processed foods, and you will have FAT melt off.

stop counting calories................a waste of time. I lost 60 pounds in 2 years. I eat 2800- 4500 calories all the time.

Why did you join MFP?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Not putting food in your mouth.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Just pay attention to what you put in your body, especially processed foods that are high in carbohydrates. The traditional food pyramid has grains, breads, rice, as the foods you should be eating more than any other food groups, but that couldn't actually be further from the truth. Here's a better idea of what humans should be consuming for a healthier lifestyle:

ketofoodpyramid_zps9bd0b8c7.jpg

Before the industrial revolution, think about how often people ate foods high in carbohydrates. Sure, bread and rice was still consumed but nowhere near at the levels we see today. People used to believe that eating fatty foods would make you fatter, and while foods high in saturated or trans fats that might be somewhat true, it is simple sugars or glucose/fructose that are the real killers if consumed in excess.

Where, pray tell, are the carbs (pasta, rice,etc.) on this thing? :huh:
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    A lot of people on here are rude for the sake of feeling better about themselves. Sure, maybe this question or thread is a repeat, most are because every has a unique situation and you can't get advice for yourself when the stats are about someone else's body.

Remember, the scale is not everything... it can and will be frustrating. Are you feeling better about yourself? Do you feel more confident? Then keep it up! You are going in the right direction. I've also noticed that when I have my weekly weigh-in coming up, I will weigh in the day before or after as well as the weigh-in day itself since your weight flucuates so much... this has really helped me feel less discouraged as usually one of those days I'm down.

Keep on truckin' sister! :)
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    My eyes actually hurt from some of the advice given here...*sigh*

Eat less. Weigh everything on a scale, measuring or assuming a size is inaccurate.

Move more.

Don't cheat (I do that a lot, lol)

That's pretty much it.

Everything said right here.
  • harshada10
    Not putting food in your mouth.

Sorry but I didn't get you.
  • harshada10
    A lot of people on here are rude for the sake of feeling better about themselves. Sure, maybe this question or thread is a repeat, most are because every has a unique situation and you can't get advice for yourself when the stats are about someone else's body.

Remember, the scale is not everything... it can and will be frustrating. Are you feeling better about yourself? Do you feel more confident? Then keep it up! You are going in the right direction. I've also noticed that when I have my weekly weigh-in coming up, I will weigh in the day before or after as well as the weigh-in day itself since your weight flucuates so much... this has really helped me feel less discouraged as usually one of those days I'm down.

Keep on truckin' sister! :)

Thank you for your concern. Yes, I do feel better and when I look at my body I feel it is toning up and looks better than earlier. Yes I'm gonna keep doing my best. Thanks again :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Psssst come here I'll tell you..............................

There is no secret. You just have to burn off more than you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • harshada10
    Psssst come here I'll tell you..............................

There is no secret. You just have to burn off more than you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you!!
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Just pay attention to what you put in your body, especially processed foods that are high in carbohydrates. The traditional food pyramid has grains, breads, rice, as the foods you should be eating more than any other food groups, but that couldn't actually be further from the truth. Here's a better idea of what humans should be consuming for a healthier lifestyle:

ketofoodpyramid_zps9bd0b8c7.jpg

Before the industrial revolution, think about how often people ate foods high in carbohydrates. Sure, bread and rice was still consumed but nowhere near at the levels we see today. People used to believe that eating fatty foods would make you fatter, and while foods high in saturated or trans fats that might be somewhat true, it is simple sugars or glucose/fructose that are the real killers if consumed in excess.

The scientific truth is that very little long term effects of low carb diets are known, at present.
    Different places in the world have very, very different food pyramids than these, with healthier outcomes and longer lifespans, less heart disease and their diets and cultures are well established and known.... for example, a Mediterranean Diet and an Asian diet. The Asian diet, in particular, features rice at every meal and as a culture they have little heart disease, live longer than North Americans, and also have no weight problems, as a society, on the whole.

So, scientifically, the truth is that your pyramid is, "at this point in time" highly controversial, and has no long term study results to really outline both the benefits and drawbacks.

Here's a cute article from the BBC
    http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20141001-manage-like-a-caveman

Here is a traditional Asian food pyramid
    http://www.foodpyramid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/asian_diet_pyramid.jpg
    (meat is, in fact, at the top of their food pyramid and a good portion of their calories comes from rice and noodles.)

The Mediterranean Diet has long been accepted as very "nutritionally sound"
    http://oldwayspt.org/resources/heritage-pyramids/mediterranean-pyramid/overview
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    5 pages of responses and not a single "gluten free" proponent? Shockers.... :smile:

Add my vote to calorie deficit with accurate weighing & measuring - especially calorie dense foods like meat.
  • tracylbrown839
    Before the industrial revolution, think about how often people ate foods high in carbohydrates. Sure, bread and rice was still consumed but nowhere near at the levels we see today.

Before the industrial revolution (late 18th-19th century), but after the agricultural revolution (beginning with the transition to the Neolithic, up to 10,000 years ago depending on where you look), people ate foods high in carbohydrates all the time. That is precisely what the transition to cereal agriculture involved: a shift to wheat, barley, rye, oats, emmer, rice, millet, maize, and all the other cereal crops. I recall one of my reference works on the social history of Europe noting that early modern workers (before the industrial revolution) might get over 80% of their daily calories from bread. That's one reason that the first response to a bad harvest was often to impose price controls on bread, because otherwise there would be bread riots.

People could only eat fresh meat when it was slaughtered (if they could afford it), and eggs and dairy were often luxuries. Cereals and legumes (which were called "meat" by many early modern writers, e.g. by Francis Bacon in his Essays—meaning solid, substantial food, as opposed to drink) were the basic elements of poor people's diets. Of course, the more refined white flour was usually beyond the means of all but the wealthy, so it was whole grain bread with the germ. Those with garden plots might have some leafy vegetables, but certainly not year round.

A lot of those foods were more nutritious before the age of monoculture. The rich, nutritious potatoes that were cultivated in late 18th-century Ireland were replaced in the early 19th century with the "lumper" variety, which was less nutritious but had a higher yield; unfortunately it proved to be especially susceptible to late blight. And the refined flours produced in industrial mills were far less nutritious than the coarse peasant flour made in preindustrial mills.

The health problems associated with eating lots of refined carbohydrates, and added sugars, in the 20th and 21st centuries can't be retrojected to the far more nutritious cereal breads, tortillas, millet bread, etc. of the preindustrial world.

Great post!!
    Interestingly, some recent archeological work has discovered grains in the teeth of paleolitic man - so their diets may have been more grain rich than previously thought.
    And clearly, also it is noteworthy to add that the development of civilization itself was made possible by man figuring out how to grow and harvest food.

Lastly, common sense also makes quite clear that meat eating was not a daily event in the lives of cavemen, anymore than it is for any of the great cats or other meat-eaters - hunting doesn't produce daily kills.

I have often wondered, in fact, whether homo-sapien survival, while Neanderthals became extinct, which was originally thought to be climate related, may, in fact be traced back to rudimentary types of agriculture being discovered and developed. By this I don't mean the growing of crops, per say, but rather, discovering "processing"....that a plant or grain that was foraged could be ground and stored, thus providing food during winters and during times when hunting was unsuccessful.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Just don't lift anything too heavy.. or this could happen:

8ab5ed543151.jpg

Bad Photoshop happens when you lift anything too heavy?
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Will
    Drive
    Motivation
    Consistency
    Focus
    Diet
    Exercise
  • tracylbrown839
    The 5.000 year old IceMan's stomach was full of goat meat and fat.

Doesn't help your theory, does it?

What on earth does this even mean? Your response seems.... well, rather unnecessarily rude.

Inuit eat a diet primarily containing seal meat. I have not tried to claim otherwise. Most diets, all around the world are comprised of "food that was available" in the region where the people lived.

However, the idea that early paleo man existed primarily on meat isn't quite right, and their diet contained a lot of grasses, nuts, seed, and plant matter. Speak with any archeologist. They'll tell you that our "cartoon" images of caveman are not correct.

So, the idea that man was "not designed to eat grain", or that grains are bad for you, is a bunch of hooey.

It is also true that the Neanderthals didn't make it. Why did they become extinct? They were outcompeted by the homo-sapiens. From this, you sort of have to assume, or it's not a bad idea to assume that the homo-sapiens developed things that allowed them to survive while the Neanderthals did not, and some of this is going to revolve around methods of hunting and gathering food - since food is one of those items required for survival.
  • tracylbrown839
    Here's a good article for you.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/3/665.long

Human beings, are "starchivores".... LOl - according to most anthropologists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufNEoLeVplc&feature=youtu.be
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Don't you know you are being too logical for Steve? Love it. By the way, did early man eat breakfast? And my secret for weight loss is
    don't give up whatever happens, it all just falls into place when you find the right combinations. :wink: