Get depressed a lot lately.

Options
Ok a little over a year I started my journey and I've been maintaining for about a month. I lost a lot of fat but muscle was lost too even though I had 3 days a week that I lifted at home (so didn't do huge lifts not enough weight, stayed in 10-15 rep range) I do have abs and happy with bf% but feel really skinny and weak. Had 5 weeks off because of arm and when I started back on weights I found I was even weaker than before injury.

Anyways, I'm still recovering from radial neck fracture, almost 7 weeks since I fell off bike and I'm doing good but arm isn't 100% yet. So I can't start lifting real heavy yet.

I find my self feeling really depressed 3-4 days a week, just all of a sudden I get depressed and feel like it's all hopeless. Though I feel weak I went over 20 miles (21.5 and 20.2 furthest ever for me) on my bike twice this week along with work and 2 weight workouts (going to go back to 3 days this coming week didn't want to push arm first couple weeks) abs show, sexual function is 10x better, etc... I've got all this going for me but keep getting depressed don't understand.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Vitamin D3?

Anyway, it seems that you are trying too hard.
    Recovering from your injury is the most important thing right now. Arrange things so that you can have a complete recovery.
    Find a trainer who can do lower body exercises -- something that does not interfering with healing of your arm.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, what else is missing from your life? Seems like you're meeting most of your fitness goals, maybe something else is up.
  • southernbuttercup
    southernbuttercup Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You have come a long way. 133 pounds lost is amazing! I know you want to make progress, but you have to be careful about re-injuring yourself. Are you taking any meds for pain that could possibly have side effects of depression? Can't give advice on lifting or how to bulk up, but hope you cheer up. Being injured and unable to do all that you want is no fun, but its not a permanent situation and you will be able to get back to doing your thing. Don't be too hard on yourself. Hopefully others will offer some good advice on helping you reach your goal once your injury is better.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree: You need to fully recuperate before you start pushing yourself again. Maybe get away for a weekend. Maybe just sit around and watch TV for a few days. Give yourself a break. It just sounds like you are driving yourself too hard. Have some chocolate, take a bubble bath, read a trashy novel. RELAX!!!
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nothing different from normal. Money being biggest. I have nothing that I know of that I'm not happy with except normal life that everyone has.

I sleep pretty good. Sure I could use more at times but usually I wake on my own without being forced awake. I take a multi with iron back in may I was anemic and late August retested and instructed to continue with multi with iron. I get sun light at work and spend time outside so as far as I know vitamin d is good.
  • dawn6251
    Options
    I agree first 133 lb weight lost...amazing!!!! Neck fracture , you need to take time and heal and not push too hard, maybe see your dr and get basic metabolic/cbc blood count drawn...could be low on Vit D...seeing this a lot in people and plays a huge factor in depression, but could be something else. Best thing is not push to hard, let injury heal
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression for years and am currently working on it. I did pt last year for sciatica and nerve damage and even tho I didn't love the therapist, I did appreciate the one on one attention, when of course she wasn't attending to another patient at the same time ..... I transitioned to the gym after that and that has been helpful..... I would say be careful you don't set yourself up for more or re-injury by doing too much too soon and find someone who is truly KNOWLEDGEABLE about body mechanics/ pt/ recovery, whatever you want to call it and work with them and set small, progressive goals... the depression can also be a physical result of being inactive while healing, it may take some talk therapy and even medication, prob. short term, to get over the hump.. don't discount either, they can be valuable tools... I wish you the best :-)
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is not at all uncommon for people to suffer from depression after suffering an injury, or a prolonged illness, or similar. Do you still have physical pain from your injury at all? People with chronic pain also can suffer from depression, and I believe that sometimes the same or similar receptors in the brain are implicated with physical and emotional pain.

You need to consider talking to a doctor. You may need a mild antidepressant--nothing wrong with that and can really help. Coupled with the trainer who can work the lower body that was suggested earlier and you might find yourself feeling really different in a couple of weeks.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    I'm doing as instructed on arm (radial neck fracture--radial bone in forearm--is healing as expected from latest x-rays last Monday), I'm supposed to use just not heavy and I'm doing as dr said. Like I said can't lift heavy yet and won't because I want to heal.

I will be honest I'm afraid of failure, so relaxing is hard to do.

Thank you everyone for comments. I will try to relax a little.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's that time of year. The days are getting shorter. Try to get some sunlight.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    I don't take any meds and don't really have any pain any where.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I will be honest I'm afraid of failure, so relaxing is hard to do.

Try to keep in mind that taking good care of yourself isn't failure. Meet yourself where you are, think about what you need NOW, instead of where you were or want to be in the future. Right now, sounds like you're doing all the right things and doing the best you can. There's victory in that.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I've had chronic pain and have been unable to lift regularly for years, I feel like you do. Every now and then I have a self-pitying cry. If this goes on too long I need to remind myself that there will be a solution and that I don't have anything life threatening. My worst bout was last year when I had a frozen shoulder a few months after surgery.

I keep trying new goals, and being optimistic about them, but they don't stick. However, I can always run, and even ran for a whole with a sling. It was painful but I think it made a difference. A few months ago I gave up everything except running and felt content with this decision for a while, but now I'm trying new things, only once a week or less, but it's got a bit of momentum. I think the running has helped me to not have severe depression. It has only been lately that I have embraced running instead of just thinking of it as a last resort. Other things I do to help me is try to keep my life balanced and do things in moderation, take time for friends, go on vacations, use a light box for fifteen minutes each morning in the winter, and I take care of myself by remembering to do things that I enjoy, like hobbies, or pampering myself.

I'm also very grateful to be at my goal weight, and to have more empathy for other people who deal with chronic issues. I hope you feel better soon op:-)
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Do you have people to hang out with regularly and one or two that you can really talk to?

I struggle with this myself, and find I really need meaningful friendship and conversation in order to feel mentally well.

Also, if you are on any medications like painkillers or muscle relaxants, check the side effects list to see if they may be affecting you.
  • KRmurrish
    KRmurrish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've actually read stuff about depression after a huge weight loss. If that was your norm for a long time its still a huge adjustment for your body to get used to. Maybe look it up. I've heard its like your body "mourning" the fat. It sounds totally nuts but I have read about it before! It's a long shot, but if everything else in your life seems to be ok then it is possible I guess.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    My bicycle has been my outlet it feels good. But like I said in op it don't seem to matter that I'm where I want to be on bf% or that my endurance is so much better than just a few months ago. There's a lot going for me but I still get depressed. I just want so bad to not be skinny (or fat ever again) and know it will take time to build muscle and longer it is before I begin the longer it will be to get closer.

I feel ordinary. I'm no body special. Losing weight had made me invisible in my head. Reason tells me things aren't as bad as I think but the depression still hits me out of no where and just as fast I feel normal again the next day or two days. Today is one of those days hope I feel better tomorrow but it might still be there.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B-6 seems to help me with my problems with depression
  • tony56pr
    Options
    I was over 200 pounds since I was about 16. Why after this long would it smack me around? It started with injury but even now healing great, great energy, abs, etc. I am more depressed than I've ever been, at best on par with teenage years.
  • tony56pr
    Options
    How much b6? 100% recommended amount or more. I am getting all my vitamins from multi and food but for exceptional on vitamin c (i eat lots with it in it) I get around 100% or little over.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Are you meeting your carb macros? What about your dark chocolate requirements?

I'm just slightly serious but carbs and chocolate both have shown to have a positive effect on serotonin levels. It must be said also, that it's always a good idea to have a discussion with your GO about this. (My GP suggested more chocolate :wink: )