That Heart Breaking Moment when....

Options
You've lost about 40 lbs and your mom says "Honestly, I can't even tell that you've lost any weight"....

</3

I'll never be good enough for my mom haha I was stupid for thinking she'd notice and actually praise me for once.

Replies

• carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good job on 40 lbs! If your losing weight for yourself who cares if your mom praises you. Praise yourself :)
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What's most important is how you feel about yourself. Don't worry about what other people think or have to say. Chances are they are going through their own battles. Just adopt the saying that I have:

"What you think of me is none of my business!"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    40 pounds ain't nothing to sneeze at. Great job!
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Congrats on 40. I was at 40 about a month ago. I went in and told my mom, and flexed my bicep. She told me "Wow it's like a brick!" Then she flexed hers, and we laughed. She was proud, but a week after that she had died in her sleep, and I'm doing this without her support now.

Just be happy you have your mom, and be proud of yourself aswell. In the end of it. It is about us not them.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Losing 40 pounds is quite an accomplishment, hooray for you!!!! It has taken you lots of hard work and determination. You know all of the work you have put into yourself. You rock!
    Pay no mind to contrary comments. Keep your chin up and move right along. :flowerforyou:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Congrats on 40. I was at 40 about a month ago. I went in and told my mom, and flexed my bicep. She told me "Wow it's like a brick!" Then she flexed hers, and we laughed. She was proud, but a week after that she had died in her sleep, and I'm doing this without her support now.

Just be happy you have your mom, and be proud of yourself aswell. In the end of it. It is about us not them.

Sorry for your loss.
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry about your loss.
    I try really really hard to appreciate having my mom... but she's put through me so much **** and makes me feel like **** and so it's hard.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ouch - that is very hurtful. You have to understand this is not about you, it sounds like your Mother has some serious issues she is not dealing with...so she lashes out you instead. It's not that you will never be good enough for your Mom, she is not good enough for you. You are making excellent choices and taking control of your life which is so healthy. She certainly seems threatened by that, and maybe it just reminds her of her short-comings.

I think 40 pounds is amazing and I would love to be in your place right now! Do not let her have power over you and make this into an excuse to go back to your old ways. It's so easy to throw a pity party and develop a "whats the point" attitude. This just means that you will work harder and come here to share your successes! I'm a Mom and I am always here to tell you how fabulous you are!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Josh - I am so sorry about your Mother. I'm so glad you have those great memories!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Your mother is a case. Just remember to say to yourself whenever you are with her, "I'm okay. You're not."
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry about your loss.
    I try really really hard to appreciate having my mom... but she's put through me so much **** and makes me feel like **** and so it's hard.

Well you're doing great! Keep pushing forward! You've got this! Lose enough that no one can deny it, because you know you have it in you.

Edit: Thank you everyone for the condolences.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    40lbs is phenomenal, don't let your moms words bring you down. Moms are not our best friends. After I lost 70 mine accused me of trying to become anorexic, and actually commented that she thought my butt was as "small" as hers. She weighs 175, I was 280. Pfft. Just hug yourself and remember it matters to YOU and right now, thats all that matters.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Losing 40 pounds makes quite a difference no matter how big you start out. I remember when I lost 40 and my mom didnt seem to notice. She fought her weight her whole life. Mom became very ill and I think that she was focusing on herself, as she needed to, but it was a sting that she was the only person that never commented on my weight loss and she was the one that I wanted to hear praise from the most. I lost her and still grieve.
    Anyway, you know how good it feels and how awesome your clothes fit (your nes smaller clothes). Dont wait for her approval, she really may not see it, sometimes the ones we are closest to see us the least.
  • cinde2014
    cinde2014 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ouch! 40 lbs is a lot of time and commitment. Block out the world . This is for you. Love yourself
    .Mom may be dealing with her own issues. Let her. Keep losing if you need to and never ever,ever look back. You don't want to go back and get those 40 cause u feel down. Keep it moving
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I remember your previous post about your momz...she has issues.

Congrats on 40 pounds that is outstanding!!!!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your mom's attitude might have something to do with the reason you have a weight issue in the first place?
    Another thought - people who see you daily don't notice a big loss like that because it's happening so gradually - that might be he case? (I hope so.)
    Regardless, kudos to you for making the right choices! You've got a boatload of people here who know what you're going through and are more than willing to support/motivate you.
    Hugs......