Are you on a diet or change of lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• pamcris
    pamcris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A lifestyle change will not only cause weight loss but can reverse many of the diseases that we carry including diabetes.
    Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pjkC71exKU

Actually that's one of the reasons I started to take care of myself. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies (which were back to back) and that raises my chances of developing diabetes in the future. That really scared!
  • bjabdullah
    bjabdullah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Excellent observation and lessoned learned and it's very familiar story. Whatever we do to lose weight is what we need to do to maintain weight. Now I'm striving to eat whole foods, no processed foods, and sweets. Weekends, vacations, special occasions and football watching I may wonder from the plan and then get right back on it. However, for me it's a lifestyle change.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    Whilst i get that yo yo dieting or being on a 3 week diet to lose weight for an event is not a good long term plan - I do think diet has uneccesarily become a dirty word and lifestyle change has become a trendy buzz word.

So - I am not on any specific diet - ie low carb, Atkins, Paleo etc - I just try to eat more or less a balanced diet and keep my calories more or less at the right amount.

In order to acheive a long term successful weight loss (ie a "lifestyle change") most people need to alter their diet - ie to a lower calorie diet than they were previously eating.

Some of the differences in diet and lifestyle change just seem semantics to me.
  • C5North
    C5North Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am changing my life. I'll be doing this forever. I DO NOT believe in dieting. I now watch what I eAt like never before. I make much better choices. I haven't really cut anything out so I am satisfied with what and how much I eat. And I am down 35 pounds, it is working.
  • AtlantisLoss
    AtlantisLoss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...... I don't know

Lifestyle and diet maybe?

I'm eating all the same foods. I've just cut down the portions which I'll increase when i reach my goal weight.
    I'm actually satisfied with the amounts i'm eating now.

(oh, and I've stopped guilt eating. e.g. eating ridiculous amounts of candy and chocolate in my room). That's my lifestyle change.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    For me it's been a learning change. Educating myself on nutrition, fitness and understanding myself as to why I do things, how I can do them better

Because I haven't made any drastic changes other than on portion control and getting off my *kitten*, it's what I will do forever. And I will continue to learn about myself.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I have to ask the question, Are you here to change your life or get the pounds off (for now)?

For me it is both. I'm changing my eating habits and lifestyle; but it is also important to me to get the excess lbs off for now. Over time, as I lose I will learn how to apply good maintenance habits, so I will be able to maintain my weight loss. Take care :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just trying to stay more active for the rest of my life.....food and portion control will likely fade out as the weight drops and becomes less on my mind as it sets in how much I really should be eating..and no I wont be logging when im 80 but I will be ..walking or rolling in some wheelchair chasing some guy around my nursing home with my cane..or sumthin for exercise..
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    For me, lifestyle change. To me, a diet implies a finite end to the choices I now make. Since those choices will never end, I don't wish to put a time or weight goal constraint on it, because that would give me permission to go back to what I was before I found MFP & I really don't want to do that.

Also: The lifestyle change has had so many other benefits (primarily teaching me the self-discipline I'd long been lacking) that I am happy to do this for the rest of my life.

Thanks for asking such a great question....its one of the core things I think about every day while Im making these decisions....

Fsunami
  • penny105
    Options
    Lifestyle for me! :)
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle definitely - good post!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    For me it is all about doing what I need to do to live my life without hypertension, diabetes, joint problems from too much weight and risk for a ton of other health related issues.

I have learned a lot of what I know now here on this site. The folks here are so supportive

Call it what you will. It's not lifestyle or diet to me....its life.

????
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that if I'm thinking of doing something I couldn't sustain for the rest of my life, I don't do it.

This includes cutting out ANY food group, four hours at the gym every day, etc.

So far, it's worked wonderfully and what feels like effortlessly. I eat what I want within my limits and only do exercises that make me happy both physically and mentally. What a great life! So much better than a diet. :)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Absolutely for life. I've tried every diet in the book and it took me years to realize that they're all part of the huge, money-making, diet industry. None of the proprietors of these diets want to help anybody but their own wallets. I'm so glad I found MFP and started reading advice on the forums. It pushed me to do a lot of research on my own and analyze the results of correlation studies about sugar/carbs, fat, etc. When you actual take the time to analyze the results for yourself, you realize that the media and diet-founders skew the correlations and tout them as cause-effect relationships.

For example, I heard on the radio that a new study is showing that artificial sweeteners are linked to obesity and diabetes. Well, DUH! I don't know about you guys, but when I was obese I tried switching to artificial sweeteners MANY times to (rather unnecessarily) cut out sugar in a weight loss attempt. People who already have diabetes use artificial sweeteners. The link is nothing more than a correlation. The sweetener isn't causing the obesity and diabetes like the radio host insisted this study was showing. There is also a link between people who get sunburned and spending time in the sun. People don't spontaneously sunburn and THEN decide to go out in the sun. . . it's the other way around. I wish more people would look into these studies and form their own conclusions.

I'm thankful that I finally realize it's HOW MUCH you eat, not WHAT you eat for your weight. Sure, what you eat is important for your health. . . veggies have necessary vitamins, fiber is great for you, protein is awesome for cell repair/building, fat is awesome for hormone regulation, and carbohydrates are needed for more immediate energy and the regulation of certain neurotransmitters. . . but how much of each of those food groups will depend on the individuals health and lifestyle. No one diet is the "right" diet for everybody. I finally see that I need to make permanent changes to my life in order to stay a healthy weight. Learning how to incorporate the foods I actually enjoy into a sustainable diet has given me confidence that I can do this. I've been at it for almost a year now and it just keeps getting easier. I'm working toward maintenance at this point and all I have to do is slightly up the caloric quantity of the SAME diet I've been eating all along to lose the weight. There is no more trying and guessing.
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know our food is our diet, but I'm definitely not "on a diet" or following a certain type of diet.

I'm enjoying counting the calories at the moment, only for the fact that I'm learning how much things are, and how much I should have on my plate, but I don't see my self counting calories for ever.

I'm going to spend the time losing my weight learning how to fit the foods I enjoy into my daily calories, and also learning to love exercise again (which is already happening).

I'm NEVER gonna let my self get into the position that I have a lot of weight to lose again. So I'll be keeping a closer eye on my food, exercise and weight for the rest of my life, but I will do it in a way that is positive and healthy. We should all be able to enjoy foods/drinks we love but in a way that wont hurt our health.

This is not a quick fix for me, but more a slow and steady wins the race. That way I don't feel deprived, but I'm also making lots of changes, small and big to what and how much I eat. Also the amount of exercise I do. How ever long it takes I know that by the end of this I will have something I can follow for the rest of my life :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Whilst i get that yo yo dieting or being on a 3 week diet to lose weight for an event is not a good long term plan - I do think diet has uneccesarily become a dirty word and lifestyle change has become a trendy buzz word.

I agree with you about "lifestyle change". I also think a lot of times there's a very narrow definition in mind. That doesn't seem to be the case with most in this thread who speak of moderation. But for example, it is not uncommon for me to eat "healthy" breakfast and dinner but have a fast food lunch...or ice cream in the evening. For me that's the beauty of MFP and calorie counting, my "lifestyle change" doesn't have to mean I omit all so-called "bad" foods from my diet...for some that might work, but for me I just don't think it would be sustainable long-term. I am a firm believer in doing what works for you. I have not gone up in weight since I started this "journey" (lol) over six years ago and for me that makes me feel like I'm on the right path for me even if my Saturday is centered around going out of town for shopping, Korean food and a fancy cupcake...not too different of a lifestyle from ten years ago when I was well over 100 lb heavier ;-)
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Its a lifestyle change for me as well. I enjoy the freedom of everything in moderation and feel relieved that I don't have to restrict any food group or panic when Im hungry and have to choose something that I may or may not enjoy simply because its in my ' diet. '
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    I don't think of this as dieting, but as being healthy. Weight loss is a good side effect for me, but I want to feel good and have energy.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Unless it is a lifestyle change the results will most likely be temporary.

22975671.png
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Im on a diet. it has an end date.