Holy Sugars!!!

Options
Ok fellow MFP members I need your help!! I double my sugar allowance on pretty much a daily basis. I'm allowed 27g (my banana alone takes up 17g of that). Any low sugar items that you can offer would be fantastic!!!!

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    when it comes to fruit, ignore the sugar. Its natural.
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    I have the same problem. Most of my sugar comes from fruit. I was confused because I thought you were supposed to have 3 fruits a day. That puts me over the limit. Can't wait to see some suggestions.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree on not counting fruit against your sugar intake. Remember, it's not just what you don't want, it's what you DO want -- vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc. If you pick up Jonny Bowden's books, especially the 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, you'll get quite an education about what food is very, very good for you.

Best of luck!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a solution to that problem, which is to do what I do, and not even pay attention to the sugar number in the log :). It's not a realistic target for anyone. Just try to watch the junk, and you'll be okay.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am pretty sure that 27g means refined sugars, not natural sugars. Or I would be over everyday too! (Well, most days I am over on refined too, lol, but I try!)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have always believed that they are meaning processed sugars, not natural ones from fruit. So i ignore it. :laugh:
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    when it comes to fruit, ignore the sugar. Its natural.

I do too, otherwise it's impossible to stay under.
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah natural sugars are ok... we don't want proccessed sugars... I don't even buy juice unles it's 100% juice (you'd be surprised at the juices that aren't 100% juice!) and no sugar added (all naturall occuring sugars found in fruit)...
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    As long as it's NOT "hot fudge chocolate sundae with sprinkles" sugar you're fine.
  • mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!!! Pretty much 100% of my sugars come from my fruits so I will just have to break down the rest of it.
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'mglad you asked this because I was just coming to pose the same question. This morning I've had a banana and red grapes and am ove my sugar allowance too. I figured that natural sugars don't really count, but I'm glad to know others agree. :)