1200 calories plus exercise and I have Gained Help Please!

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories or you are putting your body into starvation mode.
    This is not true.

However, if you believe it to be true, please share a citation to a peer reviewed study that supports this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since there is no eating back of any exercise calories anyway - not really sure how miscalculated calorie burns or including extra daily stuff would matter.

All that does is create a bigger deficit on paper, not in reality.

If she was eating back exercise calories then those entries would matter.

OP - you said logging steps - you mean with like Fitbit or BodyMedia or similar daily activity tracker?
    Or just a pedometer for your own curiosity?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every Friday usually, but it's never over 7000 calories.i have opened my diary if that's any help :-)
    You have a cheat DAY every Fri? Never over 7000 cals? Well your cheat day could be derailing your efforts. 7000 cals? Wow. If you feel the need to eat that much, it is possible you are not eating enough during the week.
    Other than that, we would have to see your diary. I'll restayd the obvious, be sure you are weighing your food and logging accurately. Check your sodium levels as well, if you had a high sodium meal it could cause you to retain water. Increased exercise will do the same.

Do people seriously not read all the posts? She has stated twice that 7000 is what you would need to eat to gain 2lbs as 3500 calories = 1 pound. She does not eat this on a cheat day.

She also said that she weighs all her food.

In England we don't seem to consume the same amount of sodium as in the US, so unless her diary is full of ready meals, then I doubt that's the problem.

Weight does naturally fluctuate a bit. It could be water, TOM, or just a different time of day to when you last weighed yourself.

Sounds like your calories are too low as well. I'm slightly taller than you are (and a lot older lol) and I got down to 11 stone eating 1500 calories. I never ate back exercise calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    That's normal fluctuation, especially after losing 5 lbs quick. It's probably water from TOM.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    ignore
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    water retention.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    wiped
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every Friday usually, but it's never over 7000 calories.i have opened my diary if that's any help :-)

Um yes that would be enough for wiping your whole deficit for the week.

It's normal to gain water weight occasionally though, but if you're having huge cheat days and not weighing your food the rest of the time, it could just be normal weight gain.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    OP, I would guess you're overestimating your calorie burns. However, that wouldn't cause you to gain 2 pounds. Try eating half of your exercise calories back, drink plenty of water, and weigh again in a week. Weight is naturally fluctuating, so just look for a downward trend over time.
  • RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Despite the op explaining several times that she did not eat 7000 calories on a cheat day, and other posters like myself asking why people don't read threads, there are still 2 more posts thinking she eats 7000 calories on a cheat day!

I'm guessing some of you did not do well in comprehension exercises at school! Read everything or your posts are pointless.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I also eat 1200 a day. Here's what worked for me when I saw the scale go up and down and up again unexpectedly.

1. I realized I needed more fiber in my diet. I removed the sodium tracker and replaced it with fiber. This forced me to drastically re-assess what I wanted to fit into my 1200 calorie day. Getting the recommended 25g of fiber eliminated some of the processed foods I was eating and so my sodium dropped a lot..and I no longer have to track it on a daily basis...I do check it once a week just to see how I'm doing.

2. I adjusted my protein and fats up and my carbs down. (I get my fats from healthy sources like lean meat, nuts, olive oil etc)
    I get 120+ grams of protein most days, 40-50 grams of healthy fats and have a goal of 75-100 carbs or less per day

3. I put in as many whole fruits, veggies and unprocessed foods into my diet as I could manage. (To get more fiber)
    I've been eating lots of chicken,eggs, spinach, raspberries, almonds, pecans, cashews, beans etc.

4. I drink 1 gallon of water a day and stay consistent with it. If I don't stay consistent with this I usually see weird water weight fluctuations.

With that said, I know it can be frustrating to see 2lbs up on the scale. Its normal for everyone to go up and down throughout the day. But give it a few days with a few adjustments to your macros and I'm sure you'll see the change your looking for. :)
  • CigBock
    CigBock Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey OP

Your data is skewed and most people here dont know what they're talking about. Also I wouldnt place much emphasis on that Food Diary as it will be inaccurate.

Please state:

A: Your Goals
    B. Your Age, Weight, Height
    C. Your Current Exercise Regimen (Briefly)
    D. Your Current Exercise Frequency
    E. Problems You Are Facing Currently In Regards To Dieting and Problems You Want To Avoid
    F. Meal Frequency

If I remember to check this thread when I wake up I will respondo with the correct info.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ..... Good Luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey OP

Your data is skewed and most people here dont know what they're talking about. Also I wouldnt place much emphasis on that Food Diary as it will be inaccurate.

Please state:

E. Problems You Are Facing Currently In Regards To Dieting and Problems You Want To Avoid
    F. Meal Frequency

If I remember to check this thread when I wake up I will respondo with the correct info.
    But, it's you who doesn't know what you're talking about. :wink: :wink:

Meal frequency has nothing to do with weight loss, and you don't have to exercise to lose weight.

The OP has already stated her problem throughout the thread. Her main problems are overestimating calories burned and possibly underestimating calories eaten, throw a cheat day in, and calorie deficit is gone. She's already said her goal is to drop some weight.

OP, before you fall for this person's "opinion", I will say it again, which is what has been said throughout this thread, and which is also the number one cause of weight gain.....

You are eating more calories than you think.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates normally. You could be retaining water, your sodium intake is high on several days because of some of the packaged foods and sauces you eat, I think someone said already that sometimes it may show as 0 sodium on MFP but it actually has a lot.

Look at @independent24's post here, it sums it up pretty well
  • CigBock
    CigBock Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey OP

Please state:

F. Meal Frequency

But, it's you who doesn't know what you're talking about. :wink: :wink:

Meal frequency has nothing to do with weight loss, and you don't have to exercise to lose weight.

The OP has already stated her problem throughout the thread. Her main problems are overestimating calories burned and possibly underestimating calories eaten, throw a cheat day in, and calorie deficit is gone. She's already said her goal is to drop some weight.

OP, before you fall for this person's "opinion", I will say it again, which is what has been said throughout this thread, and which is also the number one cause of weight gain.....

You are eating more calories than you think.

when did I say meal frequency did? when did I say exercise was absolutely required?

she also doesnt need to write down her age to lose weight either, why didnt you call me out on that too?
  • xxEAGLExx
    Options
    A single weigh-in showing a 2lb gain is not a trend! Don't worry about it.

Bodyweight can and will fluctuate around 4 pounds on a daily basis.

I'd recommend Carbs < 150g/day, Protein ~70-100g/day, Total Calories 1200-1500/day
    until closer to your goal.

Moderate to light exercise is all you really need while trying to lose weight, you want to minimize
    muscle loss.. muscle gain is unlikely while on a highly reduced caloric intake.

Don't worry about counting all the calories you burn during exercise.

Then again I don't have an Avatar or high post count.. ignore the 20 years of training.