Self perception - can you see the difference?

Options
OK, so I *know* I'm losing weight, the scales say I am, my friends/family say I am, my clothes say I am but I'm having trouble *seeing* it. It's like my brain doesn't trust my eyes or vice versa. I even did a photo comparison of my face today (Dec 2013 v Oct 2014) and for one second I'll think, yep, there's a difference and the next I'll be like, meh, not so much. It's like it's an optical illusion and my brain doesn't know what to think. It's ridiculous and it's not worrying/demotivating me I just find it incredibly strange.

0108def9-505f-493f-99ba-dc354ad0b96a.png

Has anyone else experienced this and can you please tell me if your brain eventually catches up?

Replies

• jaxtheassassin
    jaxtheassassin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. I've found myself with the same issue! I've lost almost thirty pounds, and the only way it ever feels real is when I happen across something I wore before I lost weight. It's hard to tell sometimes, so make sure you give yourself credit where credit is due! You've worked hard!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I can see a BIG difference just in the photo of your face side by side. BIG DIFFERENCE. When you see yourself daily in the mirror it can be hard to tell.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies - it's a very odd phenomenon. I went through my wardrobe today and I fit into a couple of (UK) 14s (from being 18/20) and even a (elasticated waist!) size 12 so I know the weight is coming off but I genuinely can't see from where. If I didn't have scales (or clothes or a tape measure) I wouldn't think I'd lost anything just by looking in the mirror. I'm sure if I'd lost 45lbs magically overnight (if only!) I'd see it.
  • sarahwinder78
    sarahwinder78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters - there is a very clear, definite difference in the pictures you posted. You look beautiful, by the way! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm down almost 40 pounds in about 5 months and I still take myself by surprise sometimes. (e.g. is that really my reflection or shadow? or no way will that fit! Then it does.) I also sometimes look at my face in the mirror and think that it hasn't really changed much. But I know it has - just like yours has! I guess we just need to give our brains a little more time to catch up with our bodies. Keep up the great work!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Took me a year to begin recognizing my new body. Our brains cant get over seeing our old selves so we still do when we look in a mirror. It is some strange psychology thing going on. :indifferent:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see a difference between your two pictures! Your face is much slimmer on the right side pic with the braid. Something hasn't changed though - your eyes are still beautiful!

I have the same problem sometime and it's hard to recognize the changes from before. We are our own worst critic and are always harder on ourselves.We expect more than what we've already achieved. It's important to take a step back and really realize how far we've come! Something I have to remind myself of every now and then but I hope that eventually we can look in the mirror every day and be so proud of how far we've come. You have obviously come a very very long way and it's great that others are noticing! Hoping all these comments will help you see the same :flowerforyou:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you look amazing! Your face isn't just thinner, you look healthier!

I think I can see the difference in myself, but my feeling of "it's not good enough" kind of overshadows my my feeling of accomplishment. But honestly, it's not good enough. I'm not at my goal and I'm moving extremely slow getting to it. BUT we shouldn't let those feelings get us down.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    of course there is a difference!

Common problem I guess. I have the same.
    sometimes it is ok, but most of the time I just see my belly and my double chin and think: NOTHING has changed

But it has, sometimes it is just hard for your brain to believe your eyes.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've been there before. I had lost about 50lbs and I still felt and felt I looked like I hadn't lost a single pound. Nothing was good enough. I could not see it, even though every single person commented on it. It's a self image thing. One day you'll notice it though. Not to worry.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think it's also to do with the fact that I've always been big(ger). I've never really been anything less than chubby. I'm about 7lbs off my lowest ever adult weight (before I went to Uni), so after that it's all new territory. I have never been (so therefore never seen myself as) a 'normal' weight adult. I guess am just super used to seeing me as, well, me.

I have to add, I'm not looking in the mirror feeling sorry for myself and thinking I'm still "huge" or not good enough or whatever. I've always been perfectly positive and happy with myself, whatever my size so it's purely that I just think I look basically the same, no value judgements attached. I'm happy to keep on keeping on because I know it's working, I just can't get my head round it. It's baffling and amusing me in equal measure.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue. I've lost over 50lbs so far (awhile to go yet but still some good progress since I started) and I have a difficult time seeing any difference visually. Clothes do fit better, I wear smaller sizes etc. But I still loathe pictures of myself, I still see no change.

Now on your pics I totally see a difference, you look great! Amazing work so far! :) I guess it just takes time for us to see it for ourselves lol.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I absolutely see a difference. You look really good!!! The changes aren't so obvious to you because you see yourself everyday, but just know you are making very good progress.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've currently got this going on.

I lost 14lbs originally when I joined & felt 'thin'. Regained 10lb. Then lost 60lb in total - can I hell 'see it properly' this time round!

The brain is a strange & crazy thing sometimes! But I figure it'll eventually catch up.