For ladies: Exercise & Your Period

Options
Has anyone skipped a period or was late on it due to suddenly changing your diet and exercising when you didn't before. There's a reason I am asking.

Replies

• renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Everytime I start a diet/exercise plan its either late or abnormal in some way!! Its a very common thing.
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it happen but it definitely can. If it stops completely then it's called Amenorrhea:

"Women who go through significant weight loss, dieting, or perform considerable amounts of exercise on a regular basis are at risk of developing hypothalamic (or 'athletic') amenorrhoea. It was thought for many years that low body fat levels and exercise related chemicals (such as beta endorphins and catecholamines) disrupt the interplay of the sex hormones oestrogen and progesterone. However, recent studies have shown that there are no differences in the body composition, or hormonal levels in amenorrhoeic athletes as compared to regularly cycling athletes. Instead, amenorrhoea has been shown to be directly attributable to a low energy availability. Many women who diet or who exercise at a high level do not take in enough calories to expend on their exercise as well as to maintain their normal menstrual cycles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenorrhoea#Cause
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yep, mine does. At the beginning of my journey my period was on Sundays early morning (I'm on the pill so it's pretty standard) and now it is Thursday mornings-mid afternoons. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you think you're pregs!
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That happened to me over the course of three months....the first month I was two weeks late, then second month another week late, then third month about 5 more days late. Now I am back to a normal schedule of about 28 days inbetween.
  • Jesseann
    Jesseann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yep, was four days late this month...
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Definitely a little off schedule!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    when I am running allot my periods are lighter, but if Ijust start the workouts for example not running as much and then start up my periods are heavier!
  • dawgmaven
    dawgmaven Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, it can happen. But could there be another reason you have missed a period? Maybe take a pregnancy test...
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    absoblutely!!!!:) before I got Implanon, the rod, I used to be irregular for a month or two everytime I had an extreme change to exercise or diet.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    When I first started my journey, my cycles were irregular. Be sure to use a back up method of birth control if you're sexually active.

Charmagne
  • homemom3
    Options
    to be honest I asked because I went in for a pap and the doctor told me my cervix was blue and she has only heard of that when a woman is pregnant. Okay I have 4 kids, but I had never heard of that ever. So I asked if there were any other times. She said it is very rare but sometimes before the period it happens, but it is rare. I kept wondering if maybe I could've messed up my period due to all the exercise, etc. Thankfully (for me) I had my period today, so not pregnant and while hubby and I are safe we both know sometimes safe doesn't always cut it. He's getting snipped now lol
  • chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see if anyone had any enlightening knowledge on my problem. I have not had a period since February. I am 5"7 and weigh 156....obviously, I am not underweight or lacking body fat. I have taken up running in the past 6 months, I have lost right at 50lbs in the past 9-10 months, and between working 2 jobs and my husband being overseas, I am a little stressed....and definitely NOT preg. All of these factors have been valid according to my OBGYN. I am currently finishing up 10 days worth of hormones that are supposed to make me start, so I don't know what to expect. My blood work/ hormones, etc were all normal. I was just curious if anyone had any advice.