Are you doing anything besides counting calories?

Options
With the new paleo or sugar free or gluten free or both, etc., I am wondering if everyone here ( or anyone here) is doing both? Or are we just counting calories and eating what we want?

Curious to see everyone's responses.

Replies

• Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I count calories but I'm also trying to eat better and cleaner. I try to eat high protein - low carb, lots of veges and I'm trying to include more fruit and less sweets! I'm not following a specific diet, but just trying to lose weight and be healthier overall.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to macro nutrients as well as calories. I do not place arbitrary restrictions on the foods I eat or try to eat "clean" but that is an undefinable, meaningless term. Counting macros as well as calories can be an important factor in retaining lean mass. This helps ensure that the weight lost is mostly fat, rather then lean body mass.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I watch my macros (for body composition and satiety) and micros (for overall health and also satiety).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I try to build a diet around whole nutritious foods. Lots of vegetables, meats, dairy, seeds and nuts, legumes, some fruit, and some whole grains.

Focusing on eating whole nutritious foods has been my goal for a very long time. Sure I still eat crap. It's just not the basis of my diet any more.

It works for me.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I count my calories and aim to hit my protein macro every day. I eat a lot of protein heavy, healthy-ish stuff because of that, but otherwise I eat what I want.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Same as the rest of the responses so far. I cook my foods most of the week, eat out at restaurants a bit on the weekends and track my macros to make sure I'm hitting protein and fat goals. Past that, I don't worry about it. If it's food and it fits my goals, I'll eat it. I try to avoid eating dirty things like mud, but if a pepperoni slice falls on my kitchen floor, I'm eating it anyways, because you don't waste good pepperoni just because it's a little dirty. :tongue:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Learning how it all works.
    Acquiring the correct mindset.
    Preparing for various scenarios such as plateau, bing etc.
    Learning about nutrution.
    Eating more healthily including less saturated fat and sugar, but more fruit, veg, fibre and protein.
    Exercising and improving my cardio.
    Exercising and improving strength.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I try to build a diet around whole nutritious foods. Lots of vegetables, meats, dairy, seeds and nuts, legumes, some fruit, and some whole grains.

Focusing on eating whole nutritious foods has been my goal for a very long time. Sure I still eat crap. It's just not the basis of my diet any more.

It works for me.

^^This. I aim to nourish by body the best way I know how, and in a way that feels natural and normal for me. That will be different for everybody, but for me, that mean 80-90% of the time I'm eating all the yummy veggies and lean meats and getting enough fiber and fats. Then I have more than enough room for a weekly (or a small daily) "indulgence."

I may or may not have eaten a giant brownie for lunch yesterday (and washed it down with a can of soda), lol. However, my macros and micros for the week have been reached, or on track to be reached, so I it works.
  • effondrement
    effondrement Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a calorie counter, and I don't believe in depriving myself of anything. That said, I'm also living on the world's smallest food budget (broke *kitten* college student here), so I tend to eat like crap most days. In addition to calorie counting, I also try to watch my protein macro, and I run a lot // waitress daily // lift weights 3-4 times a week.

I've tried other "diets" in the past (atkins, weight watchers, south beach, paleo, gluten free, blah blah blah), and they are all great until life gets in the way and I'm sick of following rules. So for now I am very happy with my eat less move more approach, it's the only thing that's really had an effect and has stuck with me for longer than a month.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    With the new paleo or sugar free or gluten free or both, etc., I am wondering if everyone here ( or anyone here) is doing both? Or are we just counting calories and eating what we want?

Curious to see everyone's responses.
    I eat what I want and count calories.

Even with paleo,gluten free, or sugar fee, you still need to eat less calories than you burn or you won't lose weight.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I count cals..eat lower carb around 180grams per day...and walk a lot
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, I go by macros.
  • nickysbt
    Options
    I keep track of my sugar and sodium intakes because I have a family history of both diabetes and high blood pressure. Starting to keep track of protein, but it's not something I really worry about unless I've had nothing but carbs all day. Other that that I just try to make sure I have a healthy relationship with food. I've seen too many of my relatives learn to hate food after starting to watch what they eat and I have no desire to join them. I don't want to be the person who complains loudly about cake at a birthday party. Life is too short to not enjoy cake.
  • FabMeliO
    FabMeliO Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm counting calories, doing portion control basically and choosing the healthier choices of the foods I crave the most. I also started exercising more often and making small changes like using the stairs instead of the elevator, overall just eating less, healthier and staying active.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I only log so I can track my macros, especially to make sure I meet protein goals
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have 1 main meal a day around 2pm ish time if possible, I stick to 150 ish carbs, and no more than 10 sugars, but try to get sugars to 7 or less.

Calories range from around 900 to 1200 depends on the protein and fat in rest, but i dont count them either, just the carbs/sugars

But calories themselves for me personally is pointless, if i only counted calories and not carbs, my diabetes would end up a total mess again and i would go blind.

Just pure luck that my lifestyle happens to stay within that calorie range most times now it seems.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have 1 main meal a day around 2pm ish time if possible, I stick to 150 ish carbs, and no more than 10 sugars, but try to get sugars to 7 or less.

Calories range from around 900 to 1200 depends on the protein and fat in rest, but i dont count them either, just the carbs/sugars

But calories themselves for me personally is pointless, if i only counted calories and not carbs, my diabetes would end up a total mess again and i would go blind.

Just pure luck that my lifestyle happens to stay within that calorie range most times now it seems.
    Wow. No offense, but trying to get down to a size 18, eating 900-1200 calories given your profile sounds unwise.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

^^ This is basically what I do, though with more whole grains. I've been cooking my meals from scratch most of the time since the early 1990s, though of course from time to time I'll pop a frozen pizza in the oven, or get take-out. And sometimes, "cooking" from scratch means opening the bag of pre-washed lettuce, grating some cheese and carrot onto it, cutting up a pepper, and tossing with a commercial salad dressing, with bread and butter on the side. Usually, though, it's a little more elaborate.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you guys use IIFYM to calculate your macros?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I track macros in order to calculate my caloric consumption. I avoid gluten (4+ years) for GI/IBS reasons, not for weight purposes.

Any type of restriction/elimination diet should only be done for health purposes, not for weight loss purposes. ETA, this includes restricting macros. There really is no reason to restrict macros unless for health reasons such as diabetes, since it won't affect total weight loss.