I can't stop binge eating

Options
Hey ???? I'm trying to lose weight after many attempts, I've gone through periods of eating healthily and exercise but recently all I've been doing is binge eating and I can't stop. Everyday the last couple of weeks I've woken up and told myself 'Today will be the day I start eating healthily' but then I end up raiding the fridge ???? . I have social anxiety and I isolate myself a lot especially at school and I come home and just fill myself up with as much food as I can before I feel sick. I weigh 140 pounds at 5'2 and I loved to lose 25 pounds. Does anyone have any tips to stop binge eating? And do you guys know the best foods to fill you up that are healthy?
Thanks for reading!

Replies

• numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    as far as stopping/reducing binge eating -- it takes a LOT of work. i'm a binge eater too. the best way for me to not do it is to just not have my trigger foods in the house, not buy items in bigger than single-serving containers. the best way of course would be to handle it even with the food right in front of you, but this works for me.

for healthy foods that fill you up -- i always find 2/3c plain oatmeal, 1 tbsp of chia seeds (they expand in water and make you fuller), some fruit and 0.5 tbsp of peanut butter all mixed together with the oatmeal keeps me full for around 3 hours. which is a lot for me since i tend to get hungry quickly, lol. AND that meal is really healthy for you. lots of protein and nutrition. and everyone says it, but it's true -- fruits and vegetables will definitely keep you full at the least calories and are some of the best things for you. ones i can eat a lot of (and thus feel fuller) that are low calorie are berries (especially strawberries), large citrus fruits like oranges/grapefruit/ minneolas, and zuchinni/squash. i'm sure there are more out there but those are my favorite ones.
  • LCatherine721
    Options
    Omg I thought I was the only one. I've recently got clean (opiate addiction) and now binge eating seems to be my new addiction...ice cream..twix bars and vanilla yogurt I try to stop and starve myself for a few days then binge eat like crazy. It's making me so depressed and anxious that I started having panic attacks. Glad to know I'm not alone.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I will post here what I posted in another binge eating thread in the hope that it will help you.

One thing I wanted to add, when I was having the most problems with binging was also when I was restricting the most. I got help because the lack of control associated with the binging scared me. I couldn't understand why I was going crazy when I had been "good" for so long.

Throughout the process of getting help, and working with my nutritionist, I found out several things. The first is that over-restriction and not eating enough for my activity level was one of the major causes of my binges. Even now, if I work out too much, I will get that same urge again. Sometimes I will be fine for a week, and then it will hit me. So now I have to make sure I eat ENOUGH, or I don't work out as much.

Another thing I learned was to make sure I had a good level of fat in my diet. Even today, I try to keep my fat around 30-40% (G-d I love peanut butter!!). This really seems to help.

I also have to make sure I get enough sleep. Sleep deprivation is a major culprit with my binges, especially if it is combined with any of the above (too little calories, too little fat, or too much exercise).

One big thing is not to try to "make up" for a binge. Because then you restrict, and workout too much, all leading up to another binge, and the cycle just goes on and on. The important thing is breaking the cycle.

I hope some of this might help you!

TLDR version:

Eat enough calories
    Don't over train
    Get enough sleep
    Eat enough fat
    DON'T try to "make up" for binges
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I will post here what I posted in another binge eating thread in the hope that it will help you.

One thing I wanted to add, when I was having the most problems with binging was also when I was restricting the most. I got help because the lack of control associated with the binging scared me. I couldn't understand why I was going crazy when I had been "good" for so long.

Throughout the process of getting help, and working with my nutritionist, I found out several things. The first is that over-restriction and not eating enough for my activity level was one of the major causes of my binges. Even now, if I work out too much, I will get that same urge again. Sometimes I will be fine for a week, and then it will hit me. So now I have to make sure I eat ENOUGH, or I don't work out as much.

Another thing I learned was to make sure I had a good level of fat in my diet. Even today, I try to keep my fat around 30-40% (G-d I love peanut butter!!). This really seems to help.

I also have to make sure I get enough sleep. Sleep deprivation is a major culprit with my binges, especially if it is combined with any of the above (too little calories, too little fat, or too much exercise).

One big thing is not to try to "make up" for a binge. Because then you restrict, and workout too much, all leading up to another binge, and the cycle just goes on and on. The important thing is breaking the cycle.

I hope some of this might help you!

TLDR version:

Eat enough calories
    Don't over train
    Get enough sleep
    Eat enough fat
    DON'T try to "make up" for binges

Oh, this is great information. I had been going really well for 8 months and then BAM in the past few weeks the urge to eat has been enormous. I had been working out a lot too, so what you are saying makes very good sense and thank you so much for sharing. This is very helpful.

ETA I was also starting to binge and then workout madly to try to make up for the effects. It is a vicious cycle that was threatening to get out of control. Once again....great advice. I will be taking it.
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. :)
    I've been doing it a bit too over the past few months. Things that normally help me are:
    - eating lots of healthy food. I have junk food too sometimes (sometimes a lot! :)), but when I eat healthily I can have bigger portions, and they fill me up. Being hungry isn't usually the cause of my overeating, but it doesn't help - and it pushes me towards less healthy foods, like things full of sugar that I'll immediately want more of even if I don't like the taste.
    - exercising. It's probably the thing that helps me control my diet the most, because I'm calmer and don't want the effort to be a waste. It gives me more calories so I can eat more without panicking that I've gone over my count, which leads me into another binge... also when I work out, my body tends to crave much healthier, more filling foods.
    - cooking my own meals, however simple the preparation is. It's somehow fulfilling and I just find it a lot easier to limit myself and save the rest 'til later.
    Those are just things that help me, but hopefully one or two might be helpful to keep in mind while you look for things that'll make it easier for you. Different people must have very different strategies, but you'll find things that help when you get into these cycles again. It probably helps to talk to someone about it too. I've seen groups on here for people with problems binge eating or emotional eating, although I've never joined any.
    The advice about not trying to make up for binges is excellent. I do this all too often, and it turns into such a nightmare!
  • lacrymosa89
    Options
    Binge eating is hard to deal with. I just almost had an episode of binge eating this morning. I just reached 20 lbs. lost yesterday and I was really proud of myself. Unfortunately I deal with depression and anxiety and I use food to make me feel better. Everyone has done this I am sure. I had a few pieces of dark chocolate and yes, a crab rangoon (they are delicious). As i was eating those things I realized I could just stop there and end the cycle just like that and be perfectly fine the rest of the day. I didn't have to eat to make myself feel better, but I also didn't have to restrict myself. I could indulge just a little bit and be okay with that. Its all about moderation and will power. Personally I don't think its healthy to restrict yourself too much or you will binge and the cycle repeats. The most important thing is to find what works for you. Just think about it and find what would work for you best. You don't have to eat like everyone else to lose weight. Yes eating healthy foods and exercising is important, but you don't have to go about it the same way as everyone else does, just do what makes you happy. You don't have to be perfect. Little steps at a time are good. Losing weight is hard, its not easy, but remind yourself of why you want to do this and how good it will feel to overcome obstacles in your way. Trust me I know how hard it is when you just want to eat everything in sight. Sometimes you give in and sometimes you don't, but its not the end of the world if you do. Just move on and each time you face the urge to binge eat it will grow easier and easier every time to not do it. It takes time but forgive yourself and take care of yourself, talk to friends, listen to music, or even go workout. Anything to get your mind off the situation. Even just take a few seconds and think it over and then come back to it. The food isn't going anywhere right? This is just my take and my opinion on binge eating though. I'm not a doctor. I'm just speaking from personal experience. I hope this helps even if its just a little bit.
  • sealife2011
    sealife2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's already some great responses, so I will just briefly add the biggest things for me.
    -Choose foods that don't come in a bag or package. Processed foods often have flavanoids added just so your body will really enjoy the taste and these are usually artificial. (I avoid keeping these foods in my house).
    -Also, many processed foods have refined carbohydrates which, as you may know, are broken down more quickly and leaves your body wanting something else.
    -Drink plenty of water. When my brain is craving food, but I know I shouldn't be hungry, I try to drink a large glass of water.
    -The other helpful tactic for me is distraction. For example, taking a 10 minute walk with my dog and seeing if I'm still interested after that. (typically I'm not interested after that)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Stop using addictions as a tool to NOT feel.
    Acknowledge your feelings. Accept your feelings. Your feelings are not YOU. They are just a signal about what's going on.
    Stop living too much in the past or future. Being in the present with yourself is one of the scariest things, I know.

Good luck:)
  • cprogerstx
    Options
    I know how you feel. Please know you are not alone! I would connect with someone who is also trying to lose weight. Together you can talk and work out. Keep your head up Chica.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Please consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Even if they determine that you don't have one, they can help you work through your issues with food.

Low-cal, filling foods - berries (especially starawberries), lettuce and greens. Oatmeal is very filling, Nature Valley CRUNCHY Granola Bars (not the chewy, candy kind) are extremely filling and yummy.

Exercise. It's good for you and seriously helps with the weight loss.

Good luck.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I give myself a cheat day and know I am never more than a few days away from anything I desire.
    At day's end, I lost 90 lbs and eat clean about 80% of the time. Good Luck!
  • Margcodina
    Margcodina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My personal experience supports most of what has already been posted here. I follow the macros diet (iifym.com) and approx. 1/3 of my daily calories come from fat. I also eat foods I LIKE to eat. With macros there are no "bad" foods, as long as it fits in with your totals for the day. Oh, and I also do 1 cheat meal a week. I am losing SLOWLY, but no urges to binge, I think it's both the fat (metabolic) and the knowledge that I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits my macros (psychological).
  • GalHowYuhBadSo
    Options
    Stop using addictions as a tool to NOT feel.
    Acknowledge your feelings. Accept your feelings. Your feelings are not YOU. They are just a signal about what's going on.
    Stop living too much in the past or future. Being in the present with yourself is one of the scariest things, I know.

Good luck:)

This is great advice! I'm a binge eater too and that is the biggest hindrance on my journey.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby to help you with social anxiety... keeping busy at your hobby helps you keep your mind occupied, keep you out of the house, and overall keep you busy and away from food! And of course, the usual, eat throughout day to keep hunger at bay, drink lots of water, and get plenty of sleep at night.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I mean this with the utmost respect, but yes you can stop binge eating. You are the only one who is in control of what you put into your mouth. If you look at my weight loss you will see that I do understand. I too, had to reach a place where I realized that I was the only one keeping me from reaching my goals. The best of luck to you! ????
  • skw1399
    Options
    Binge eating is hard to deal with. I just almost had an episode of binge eating this morning. I just reached 20 lbs. lost yesterday and I was really proud of myself. Unfortunately I deal with depression and anxiety and I use food to make me feel better. Everyone has done this I am sure. I had a few pieces of dark chocolate and yes, a crab rangoon (they are delicious). As i was eating those things I realized I could just stop there and end the cycle just like that and be perfectly fine the rest of the day. I didn't have to eat to make myself feel better, but I also didn't have to restrict myself. I could indulge just a little bit and be okay with that. Its all about moderation and will power. Personally I don't think its healthy to restrict yourself too much or you will binge and the cycle repeats. The most important thing is to find what works for you. Just think about it and find what would work for you best. You don't have to eat like everyone else to lose weight. Yes eating healthy foods and exercising is important, but you don't have to go about it the same way as everyone else does, just do what makes you happy. You don't have to be perfect. Little steps at a time are good. Losing weight is hard, its not easy, but remind yourself of why you want to do this and how good it will feel to overcome obstacles in your way. Trust me I know how hard it is when you just want to eat everything in sight. Sometimes you give in and sometimes you don't, but its not the end of the world if you do. Just move on and each time you face the urge to binge eat it will grow easier and easier every time to not do it. It takes time but forgive yourself and take care of yourself, talk to friends, listen to music, or even go workout. Anything to get your mind off the situation. Even just take a few seconds and think it over and then come back to it. The food isn't going anywhere right? This is just my take and my opinion on binge eating though. I'm not a doctor. I'm just speaking from personal experience. I hope this helps even if its just a little bit.
    Really agreed with this! I am a struggling binge eater that has just joined this online community and I really connected with this post and Raynne413's post. Thanks!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I think it is best for you to seek psychiatric counseling from a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, specifically binge eating.

It may also be a good idea to look into cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for your social anxiety.

Remember, you CAN stop. You are in control.
  • avameva
    avameva Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I binge eat when i am bored and as soon as i get home from work. Few things that have helped me are:
    1. Eat more protein, on my way from home i eat a protein bar so by the time i come home i don't feel like eating.
    2. Don't keep any of your trigger foods at home, if you do, pre portion them into smaller bags so that you will know how many bags you are opening.
    3. As you binge, do not watch TV. That is my biggest issue, i eat when i watch tv.