I think I have plateaued at 124kg

My weight loss had been steady and progressive with a few gains but mostly loss. When my
Fitness pal suggested to go down to 1300 calories I was okay with that except sometimes I couldn't hit 1200 because I was losing my appetite to night shift and I would stress about being between 1200-1300. For three weeks I've been sitting at around the same number, fluctuating between 4kgs -7kg as I began weighing myself every second day just hoping I have made some progress. I have my fitness pal set to sedentary but I work 40-50 hours as a labourer, my body feels like absolute crap and I'm sleeping 12 hours because my muscles are in a lot of pain and I'm exhausted. I dont know if that's due to not eating enough calories or I should be drinking electrolytes along with my 2 litre of water intake. I have set right now my goals to lose half a kilo a week as sedentary and now my fitness pal wants me to eat 1900 calories which I think is too much food. I would rather help my body through nutrition and food instead of painkillers to get me through my next shift. I would just like some insight as to what I'm doing wrong, because I have a feeling I might be hurting my body instead of helping it. I also try and hit my macros and micros so I'm getting enough nutrition.

At first I thought I'd just adapt to my job, but I was talking to some of the guys I work with and they said they are never sore the next morning and have no bruises! I'm covered head to toe in bruising all over my legs and arms, even some on my torso. The bruising has got some people concerned but I heard if you're weight lifting you're more prone to bruises?

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    what's your job? if you bruise easily it might be as simple as having slightly low platelets. If a lot of bruising is not usual for you though, I would suggest getting some blood work done to make sure it's not something more serious.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Yeah get some food in ya girl. First of, 1200 calories would be too little for even many smaller people, and to top it off you are telling MFP you're sedentary even though you spend your work day as a laborer. Eat the 1900 calories. Just make sure you're tracking everything you eat including any splurge days, so that you have the full picture of what you're eating and are staying at or under your MFP goals. You will lose weight no problem. Just make sure you're getting your body the energy and nutrients it needs before it quits on you!
  • Yeah I am actually not a bruiser at all. I fell down a flight of stairs years ago and it's the only time I really bruised. I am a merchandiser so I work on a layout team assembling shelving and planograms, so there is a lot of destocking and shifting around heavy product. I should probably wear a step counter because the walking is ridiculous, but it's lifting up to 40kg of product in deadlift, then trying to squat that weight. There is no downtime in job, it's really physical so everyone suffers from cuts and scrapes but bruising not so much. I have about 10 new bruises a day, some of them really hurt and some of them don't have any pain. The job has really helped with toning and building muscle so I thought I was gaining more muscle mass, but being such a high weight I didn't think it'd make a huge difference and the tape measure says I am chunkier. I will see how 1900 calories go for the new week and hope I don't gain much, as I really would just love to get out of the triple digits as soon as possible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    First - are you weighing your food?
    Second, 3 weeks stall happen. Quite a bit to women, in fact. I only lose weight after my period, then I stall for 3-5 weeks.
    Third, why in the world is MFP set as sedentary if you have a very physical job? You won't gain anything by starving yourself, just make yourself give up or make yourself sick.
  • Yeah I weigh my food with a digital scale. I gained a bit of weight while on my period but didn't lose anything afterwards. I am used to a fair gain once a month so on the progress chart it spikes. When I started MFP I was actually only in a retail job where there was little labour and had heaps of time to do a lot of exercise. I could clock the calories I burned through designated exercise, but with my job now I literally have no idea how much I am burning. So that's why it hasn't changed from sedentary. Thanks again guys, I tried discussing this with people who were close to me but they really couldn't give me the advice I was looking for.

If I set my activity to heavy physical activity, it says eat 2,450 calories at 1kg loss per week, 2,600 calories at 0.5kg a week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I'd be concerned with the bruising, if you're not remembering how or when you're getting them. Usually you remember something hitting you, or vice versa. Seek the advice of your physician.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Yeah I weigh my food with a digital scale. I gained a bit of weight while on my period but didn't lose anything afterwards. I am used to a fair gain once a month so on the progress chart it spikes. When I started MFP I was actually only in a retail job where there was little labour and had heaps of time to do a lot of exercise. I could clock the calories I burned through designated exercise, but with my job now I literally have no idea how much I am burning. So that's why it hasn't changed from sedentary. Thanks again guys, I tried discussing this with people who were close to me but they really couldn't give me the advice I was looking for.

If I set my activity to heavy physical activity, it says eat 2,450 calories at 1kg loss per week, 2,600 calories at 0.5kg a week.

Yes I think your job sounds at the minimum, "Active" per MFP definitions. And like you've said, possibly very active. I wouldn't wait to see how the next week goes, other than if you're able to keep to logging and meeting your calorie goals. As far as the scale is concerned, think long term. Not one week or two but possibly one month or two. You could fluctuate the entirety of your weekly fat loss in one day, so it's really important that you hang in there, log all your food and see where you are in a little over four weeks

FYI for me my weight drop actually comes a week after my cycle ends. Could be different for you. If you can handle it without it being discouraging I'd suggest you weigh daily at the same time, preferably first thing in the morning; just so you understand first hand your personal fluctuations throughout the month (if any) while in a consistent deficit. Some people are actually fairly linear for the most part, so you never know