What birth control method should I chose?

Options
I currently have the implanon implant. Ever since going on birth control at 18, I have steadily gained weight no matter what method I tried (pills, depo, nuva ring and now the implanon). I have gained weight with no lifestyle changes. I have been tracking my food and exercising for around 6 months and I have not lost a single pound. I also have horrible cystic acne. I am about 6 months overdue on it, and am not sure I want to get the new one, nexplanon, inserted.

I do not want children, however, I am "too young" and no doctor will agree to tie my tubes. I would really like to try the copper IUD as it contains no hormones, but here's the kicker. I have endometriosis and I am afraid that the copper IUD will be horrible in terms of heavier and more painful periods. Before I went on birth control I had ten day periods that were as heavy as they could possibly be. That's basically the only positive side of the hormones is that my periods, while not gone completely, is lighter and less painful.

So what would you ladies choose? Lighter periods or possible weight loss from finally going off hormones? Any advice from those who have been on either?This would all be so much easier if my husband could be the one on birth control and not me!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely convinced that birth control makes you gain weight, or that you can't lose weight on birth control. Even if I'm wrong about it making you gain weight, the idea of calories -in and out should be the same. How accurate do you believe yourself to be when logging?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Insisting on condoms until he got the snip-snip was good for me, lol. But we both REALLY did not want more children and were old enough to know we MEANT it. Another baby would've been like the worst thing possible. No! More! Babies!

You, though, should ask the doctor. If the doctor left it up to me, I'd go with the one I thought would help with weight loss. Whether it makes a difference or not, if we believe it makes a difference, it does. :)
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    I believe I am pretty accurate. Also, hormones definitely affect your body. That is why it's so much harder to lose weight, the older you get. If you don't believe hormones have an affect on your body, then we might as well all be taking testosterone to beef up. Not trying to be mean, but it's just like any medicine, it does have an effect. I do know that a lot of it is my fault, but I am SICK of the hormones. Also calories in vs. calories out is all good but when birth control tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant, your body definitely wants to hold onto fat.
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    Condoms for the next 20 yeas does not sound like a good solution to me...

And I am old enough to know that I MEAN it as well... I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm not.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I believe I am pretty accurate. Also, hormones definitely affect your body. That is why it's so much harder to lose weight, the older you get. If you don't believe hormones have an affect on your body, then we might as well all be taking testosterone to beef up. Not trying to be mean, but it's just like any medicine, it does have an effect. I do know that a lot of it is my fault, but I am SICK of the hormones. Also calories in vs. calories out is all good but when birth control tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant, your body definitely wants to hold onto fat.

Oh, I get it. I have some pretty bad pms problems and crazy hormones. I still believe you can lose weight though.
  • arditarose
    Options
    anyway, I was on Aviane. My doctor prescribed it because I'm prone to depression. I didn't gain weight from that one but I'm sure it's different for everyone.
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options

Oh, I get it. I have some pretty bad pms problems and crazy hormones. I still believe you can lose weight though.

Yea I also think I might have crazier hormones than some women due to my endometriosis. I absolutely believe I can still lose weight, but if the copper IUD makes it easier, that would be awesome. I am just afraid that it will be super painful. So far the pros and cons of each seem kinda balanced. Weight loss and no hormones vs. less painful and lighter periods. I might just try it since I can always get it removed if I hate it.
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Condoms for the next 20 years does not sound like a good solution to me...

And I am old enough to know that I MEAN it as well... I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm not.

I don't want kids either and I HATE when people say that I am too young to know what I really want. Using condoms forever sounds expensive, leaves a LOT of room for mistakes and seems super impersonal when it's within a marriage.

I am on the implanon and love the lighter periods but agree that the hormones can be crazy sometimes. It might not hurt to try.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I'm going in a different direction with my response. I was 20 when i had my tubes tied. And that was a LONG time ago. Yes the doctors think they want to "save" you from regret later. But it really isn't their business. If you TRULY KNOW in your heart you never want kids, keep looking till you find a doctor who will do what you want. It's not their business to decide for you. And yes I had to fight for it too. but I didn't give in.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I believe you. I THOUGHT I had endometriosis and had some tests done. I don't, so I can't imagine how horrible it is to actually have. My roommate had an IUD put in the other month and she was really uncomfortable for a month, THEN it fell out! She had to get it put back in and couldn't decide whether it was worth it again. I don't know much about it being uncomfortable after that month though. I thought it was supposed to make your period better/lighter.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cycles and have the Paragard copper IUD. I do notice the cycles are a tad worse, but not as bad as I feared. I am able to be off prescription meds. I just load up on ibuprofen.

Have you given thought about the Mirena IUD? It has hormones and only lasts 5 years. I have quite a few friends who LOVE it.
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    I'm going in a different direction with my response. I was 20 when i had my tubes tied. And that was a LONG time ago. Yes the doctors think they want to "save" you from regret later. But it really isn't their business. If you TRULY KNOW in your heart you never want kids, keep looking till you find a doctor who will do what you want. It's not their business to decide for you. And yes I had to fight for it too. but I didn't give in.

Really? that would be amazing to find a doctor willing to do it. Ever doctor I've spoken to about it (at least 6) has told me that they won't do it under 30 unless I have a serious medical condition that absolutely requires it. One even told me they would ask for my husband's and my father's permission even if I was 30! Yea, I yelled at that doctor. I am going to try and get it done still, but finding a doctor in my insurance network is very difficult and even then I'm pretty sure my insurance won't cover it :/
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    There is a new method of sterilisation for women, Essure. It can be done in Australia for those over 25 without "counselling" needed. I suggest you head over to thechildfreelife.com and see if there are any Australians there, or do a web search then call them. I read about the 25 year limit about 10 years ago, so it may be different or I may have misinterpreted it. If you can get it done at your age, then travel there and get it. Good luck.
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    I believe you. I THOUGHT I had endometriosis and had some tests done. I don't, so I can't imagine how horrible it is to actually have. My roommate had an IUD put in the other month and she was really uncomfortable for a month, THEN it fell out! She had to get it put back in and couldn't decide whether it was worth it again. I don't know much about it being uncomfortable after that month though. I thought it was supposed to make your period better/lighter.

OMG that is SOOO scary. I think I would freak out if it came out. Since I've never had kids, it's supposed to be really painful to have it inserted in the first place...
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    There is a new method of sterilisation for women, Essure. It can be done in Australia for those over 25 without "counselling" needed. I suggest you head over to thechildfreelife.com and see if there are any Australians there, or do a web search then call them. I read about the 25 year limit about 10 years ago, so it may be different or I may have misinterpreted it. If you can get it done at your age, then travel there and get it. Good luck.

I am in the US and my insurance won't cover it and it's CRAZY expensive. Also my doctor wouldn't do it still.... I am currently trying to find another doctor in my network who will even consider it.
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    I have horrible cycles and have the Paragard copper IUD. I do notice the cycles are a tad worse, but not as bad as I feared. I am able to be off prescription meds. I just load up on ibuprofen.

Have you given thought about the Mirena IUD? It has hormones and only lasts 5 years. I have quite a few friends who LOVE it.

I have thought about it but I am really trying to avoid hormones
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Essure is probably the cheapest form of sterilisation, it can be done without major surgery. Most forms of medical treatment are cheaper outside the US, but my recommendation is based on the 25 year option, rather than cost. I know how you feel, I'm childfree myself.
  • justtryingtolose94
    Options
    Essure is probably the cheapest form of sterilisation, it can be done without major surgery. Most forms of medical treatment are cheaper outside the US, but my recommendation is based on the 25 year option, rather than cost. I know how you feel, I'm childfree myself.

Thanks I am definitely going to look more into the cost and finding a doctor to do i :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I have thought about it but I am really trying to avoid hormones

Mirena is the hormonal birth control that I can tolerate - because the hormones are localized in the uterus. Honestly, if I were you, I would give that a try before Paragaurd. I also had horrible periods and am extremely sensitive to hormonal birth control -- my doctor was pretty much like "Try this and if it doesn't work, we will try that".

But I would find another doctor that takes your desire to not have kids more seriously before you do anything.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert OP, but have you had your doctor test you for hormone imbalances? I don't want to scary you, but it could be an issue with your thyroid, especially if you really aren't losing any weight at all. I'd look into it just in case.

I myself have really bad acne before getting on the pill, even though my doctor insisted that I didn't have any hormone imbalances though I clearly did, after seeing the results of the tests myself and the fact that the acne cleared up so quickly after starting the pill. But you really never know, it could be any number of things affecting your weight and acne issues.