Shopping for new clothes

Options
I went to the mall today but I was afraid to shop for new clothes/smaller sizes ? When did you start shopping for new clothes?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you have the means, whenever you want. I don't have the means and I shopped all through my weight loss. :/
  • DreamCatcherGirl
    DreamCatcherGirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to jinx it ;-()
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Looking at your stats so far, I'd say you're in a good place to reward yourself with some clothes that fit you well. However, you're not to your goal, yet, so don't waste a lot of money on clothes you'll only be able to wear for 6 months or so. Have you thought of shopping at a thrift store? I shop at a couple of places pretty regularly, and you can get clothes that are in good shape and new-to-you without feeling really wasteful. Jeans, pants, and skirts are around $5-6 each in the places I go. Shirts range from $3 to $6. So, you could get a new outfit for $12 or less. It IS kind of a pain in the butt, since you have to go through a lot of clothes you wouldn't be caught dead in, lol, but it's still a cheap way to reward yourself. Save your money to buy new clothes for when you reach your goal.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am down 36lbs and need new jeans. My old ones are getting saggy *kitten*. I know I should buy a pair but want to wait as well. I am so wishy washy.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I bought clothes when the clothes I was wearing didn't fit. I feel so much better in clothes that fit, I'm already short so wearing baggy clothes didn't work for me.

One problem that I had was not trying on the correct size, I would go down one size when I may have needed to go down 2 or 3 depending on the style. For me the fear of something not fitting was more than I could handle. If you have a good friend to shop with I think that really helps to take you outside of your comfort zone.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went shopping after I lost 10 kg (22 lbs). Big shop. However, half a year later none of them fit anymore - none. So buy something, just to make yourself feel better but remember that you will lose much more. I wish I didn't spend so much money at my first size drop.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes throughout my weight loss as my old clothes no longer fit. I'm glad I did it that way because it was a real tangible encouragement. However as others have stated it can get expensive when six months later your new clothes don't fit anymore. Enjoy shopping!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Thrift store.

I get stuff as I need it, but if it's a 50% off day and I find something that I can't pass up that is a size or two too small, I still grab it. :P
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    my pants test is able to pull up AND down with out unbuttoning/zippering. sleeveless shirts you can tell by the armpit gap.

it really depends on where you are wearing things. don't be unpresentable at work, etc. def make use of thrift stores. don't over buy in any size.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I bought a bunch of jeans right before my diet and now they are useless to me . so annoying.
    I bought new clothes yesterday for the first time since my weightloss, I waited till the season changed from summer to fall and bought things on sale since its not my final size.

25 pounds
    after 119 days (approx).

I'm pretty much at my goal except for 5 more pounds. If you are 1/4th into your goal or whatever, you should update your new size when ever you like. If you have a budget then buy things on sale or thrift shops.

p.s. I can find jeans for only 10$ at a few different major chain stores. Its better to update 1 garment here and there more often then a bunch of stuff at your goal weight.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I spent too much at the mall in May on a whole new wardrobe; from under-things to two formal dresses.

Here it is October and I have to spend MORE MONEY on a new wardrobe again, or a tailor... :grumble:

I tend to do this every 6 months or so.

You'd think I'd know better by now.

#Shopoholic :drinker:
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes throughout. During weight loss I do a lot of shopping off clearance racks & at Old Navy during big sales. One of my favorite outfits is a fitted t-shirt with jeans or leggings, which you can spruce it up with various accessories [cardigans, scarves, etc]. The pieces for an outfit like that aren't that expensive, and t-shirts can last through a lot of weight loss. I own probably a dozen t-shirts in all different colors and styles. Once I shrink out of them, I keep them and use them as night shirts and for working out. It's a win-win.

I also like button-ups. Chambray or that silky/chiffon type material. These shirts work through a lot of weight loss because once they start getting too big it gives that perfect 'undone' look paired with jeans or leggings on a lazy day, or you can wear a wide belt at the waist to make it fitted again.

Spandex-y jeans and leggings work for a long time through weight loss because they shrink with you for awhile. Plus, it's acceptable [at least to me] to wear jeans multiple times between washes, which means you could buy just 1 or 2 pair and probably be okay. Dresses are also a good option, especially the fit-n-flare kind - another thing you can belt at the waist so you can continue wearing them once they start getting too big!

ETA that I also adore the kind of shirts that are made to be slightly flowy. They're so comfy and you can wear them for a long time since they're already made to fit your shoulders and chest well but be loose around the stomach and hips.
  • jmcnamar484
    jmcnamar484 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    H & M is a girls best friend! I'm trying to buy cheaper but nice fitting trendy clothes as I lose weight (forever 21, h &m, and old navy). When I reach goal I"m going on a pretty big shopping spree.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of 200 dollar jeans after I had food poisoning a couple years ago. A week later they didn't fit. Then they didn't fit, didn't fit, and BAM...way too big now. They never even got a chance! Not doing that again till I'm at goal
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I bought clothes when I got sick of constantly pulling my pants up lol. I shop at thrift stores, especially on dollar days. I have had to switch jean sizes several times already, and my budget doesn't allow me to buy new every couple months. When I get to goal I will likely reward myself with new clothes.
  • hopingtoloseweightthistime
    Options
    I think that as soon as something gets too big to wear you should give it away so that you can't gain weight again. If things don't work out as planned and you gain a bit back you will be forced to get back on the wagon so that you have something to wear. In the past I always kept my fat clothes whcih made it really easy to gain back weight. This time around I give away the good stuff and throw out the rest..
    I did buy a few clothes which are now too big. I bought expensive jeans which I hardly wore. Now, I am getting by with what I have untill I lose a bit more.
  • zozotxiki
    Options
    I'm having to buy new clothes in smaller sizes purely because I can't wear any of my old ones now as they fall down or just look terrible! I'm just buying cheap basics as and when I need them and only buying essentials.

As soon as I am at goal weight/size, that's when I will do my proper shop. I do have a few bits and pieces in the wardrobe that are currently a little too tight so at least I have something there for in between!

The worst is bras :sick: Nothing worse than an ill-fitting bra!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I waited 9 months to start buying new clothes and it was only because I couldn't wear my jeans or my work scrub pants anymore. They were falling off of me no matter what I did. So, I bought myself one new pair and jeans and 2 new pairs of scrub pants. Once I hit my goal weight then I'll buy more clothes because I am hoping to drop another pants size at least.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I intend to spend a small fortune once I get to my goal weight...until then, I'll buy stuff at thrift stores as I need them.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm a broke @$$ so I hit the thrift shops. When what I have doesn't fit anymore, that means I have to get some new clothes and take some of them in at the waist. Some types of skirts are easy to fix by opening up the casing where the elastic is and taking it in. A gothic wardrobe is usually pretty expensive, which means doing my best to alter things if at all possible rather than having to donate away nice items. It would cost too much to just replace everything. wish I were better with a sewing machine..... grrrr..... maybe with the new bifocals I can see to do a better job altering stuff.