Maybe i'm to blame for her weight, how do I help her?

Options
I started my journey a month ago, I've lost almost 20 pounds so far. My whole mindset has changed, I always work hard during my workouts and I eat healthier. I started at 320 pounds.... My younger sister is only 19 years old we're both 5'10.... she's 350+ pounds... I feel so guilty.. She won't listen to any of my advice I try to get her to at least take a walk with me. She won't listen to me nor to our parents. Her eating habits are poor. Watching her go on about life in this manner, makes me feel guilty.
What can I possibly do or say to her? I've tried everything.
She has already seen a nutritionist they can't loose the weight for her they can only give her an eating plan (which she has never followed). She's so beautiful, I just wish she'd see that. I wish she'd feel like she's worth it, I wish she knew how great it feels to be healthier.

No rude answers please, I know I've done wrong in the past because she followed my steps.

Thank you all in advance

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    She's got to want to help herself. Don't best yourself up for not being able to do that for her.
  • Memowe
    Memowe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm the same age as your sister, and she has to come to the realization that her weight is a problem. You can't force someone to lose weight and keep it off, they have to decide to do it themselves. Some movies/documentaries/videos may sway her, but she has to make the changes herself. Fat sick and nearly dead I thought was a good documentary that really shocks some people into seeing what they're doing to themselves.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You are not in charge of other people's choices. Let go and be a good role model. My sister came to me just the other day to talk about a diet. Today she asked me to write down my doctor's name.

Two books I'd recommend:

Choice Theory by William Glasser

Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You. by Susan Forward (Author), Donna Frazier (Author)

They are old books.. but support those of us who try to take responsibility for the choices of others.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in the exact situation with her family member as well. Her niece (who is only a few years younger) gets so mad when she enters things into MFP and won't listen about eating healthier. She just has so much going on right now it's hard for her to pick something to fix and see it through. It's difficult to give advice on this situation because really, your sister has to want to do it. A lot of people will say that. There's just only so much you can do :(
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    I imagine you already know the answer but unfortunately you can't change her. You can't change any person besides yourself- no one can. You said she's your younger sister, it sounds like you were older than 19 when you decided to change your eating and lifestyle habits, maybe it will happen for her too, just not yet. She will not be successful if she tries just because you asked her to. She will only be successful when she wholeheartedly decides to commit to a lifestyle change.
    What you can do, however, is be supportive of her, continue to remind her that she is beautiful, continue to ask her to go for a walk with you, and continue on your path and hope to be an inspiration for her. Do not blame yourself for being a "bad influence" that's not going to help anything. Don't let negativity consume you. Just focus on the positives and focus on being a good influence from here forward. This is a tough situation, I wish the best for both you and her.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Just remember you are responsible for taking care of you. She has to be responsible for herself, and she has to want it for herself.

Good job so far, keep it up :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can do. Your sister needs to make this decision herself, and more than likely the more you talk to her about it, the more she'll eat just to spite you.

So the best thing you can do is be a silent example. She will notice, and one day she will want to take this journey on, (because you were successful at reaching your goal weight) and at that time she will be asking you questions.

With a younger sister, she's probably not listening to you, because she doesn't believe you're going to stick with it, and this is just some short term fad you're going thru. Now it's up to you to prove her wrong.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    When she wants it bad enough, she will make the steps to change. Until then, you can only just sit back & wait for her to be ready. She is probably like most people, the more you push, the more they are defiant.
  • Frankiigii
    Frankiigii Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can't make her change obviously, but I think doing things like asking if she wants to walk with you, or when you're cooking something healthy asking if she'd like you to make enough for her too, or even asking her if she wants to cook with you are good things to do. Don't push her, just let her know there's an open invitation to join you. I'm sure you know, but there's an incredibly big psychological component to what amounts to an eating disorder. Just remind her that you love her no matter what.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    First of all "Congrats on loosing 19lbs in a month" :flowerforyou: :smile: .

As you said, she followed your previous lifestyle and you feel quilty, having her led to the path of obesity. (I don't agree with that thought). That was her own choice, even as a younger sibling, she can think for herself. Even if you have been a bad example, then she could have decided, that is not the path to follow. You can learn from bad examples as well as from good ones. It is like learning from others mistakes. Similar like our parents tell us not to do something, because they made the experience that it will end bad. So they warn us, but sometimes as adolecense, we don't listen and do it anyway with the outcome our parents predicted...:indifferent: :embarassed: .

So, your sister had the choice to follow your behavior or not. Well, you fixed yourself, because you decided that you made a mistake and you are reversing it. Now, she needs to make the decision, to follow your lead or not. If she doesn't follow your lead, don't feel quilty - it is NOT your fault. :flowerforyou:

But maybe as time goes by and she sees your success and that this is not just some "crazy idea" you have, she may follow you. You can not make her and maybe she is not ready to face the challenge yet. Just wait and see, bcause the more you "bug" her, the more she will resist.....

I can see that it would be easier for the both of you to support each other and I guess that is your underlying thought - to have someone to challenge each other and keep on track.

Good luck on your journey.

Again, congrats on your success and keep pushing yourself.....
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good luck in trying to help--you sound like a very caring big sister! I can relate, because I have a younger sister who is morbidly obese and I'm terrified of losing her early to something like a heart attack or diabetes.

I have reached out to help her in the past, when I was much lighter and fitter than I am now, but got dismissed with the standard reply of "what do you know, you are blessed to be thin" or the even less logical remark (considering we're sisters, after all) of "it's genetic and there's nothing I can do to change it." I think I offended her by even bringing it up, and this realization hurt me...I was also shocked to see how much denial she had about her controllable weight problem and the potentially uncontrollable health problems it could lead to.

Now, years have passed. She is pushing thirty and is bigger than ever. I too have gained weight. I hope and pray that my journey to get healthier will inspire her now, in a way that it hasn't in the past, due to my current obesity. It's something she and I share in common now that we didn't before. Unfortunately, while I am still somewhat healthy despite my weight, her years of morbid obesity have taken their toll on her health...we're talking high blood pressure, prediabetes, and hormonal imbalances here...and most recently, she gave up walking for exercise (after only a week of doing daily 20 minute walks) when plantar fasciitis aggravated by her weight began to flare up.

Ultimately, I'm worried that she will continue to think of me as "different" and therefore be unable to relate to me, due to the differences in our appearances and in our weight loss experiences...for one thing, though we're both obese, she's actually well over a 100 pounds heavier than I am. For another, due to my experiences in successfully losing weight, I know that roadblocks (like joint pain that limits certain forms of exercise) can be surmounted...but she, on the other hand, is so quick to throw in the towel when difficulties arise that I wonder what will happen first...her learning to persevere and stick to a diet and exercise program in the long term, or her first heart attack. :(
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Familial guilt sucks. It weighs you down, it sours your day and it interrupts your sleep - BUT don't let it interrupt your weight loss. As others have said, stick with your new, healthier lifestyle. Eventually, hopefully, you will prove to your sister the benefits of more exercise and less/healthier food options. You will make her jealous (to be frank) and she'll want to change. That's when you can help her.

Your sister isn't changing now because she knows these lifestyle changes won't be pleasant and because she's not sure what life would be like if she succeeded. Pave the way for her. Show her what's possible.

If you want to have a further conversation with her (which full disclosure will probably annoy her even more) you could discuss the downsides to obesity... heart problems, diabetes etc. And you could show her some of threads on this site with 'success story' pictures. These before/after pictures are my inspiration on dark days, maybe they could be hers too?

Whatever you decide, I hope you continue your own journey, and know that you have support here on MFP when you need it.
    xx
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. Is she living with your parents still? They can change the way they shop and prepare meals, thats it. You've heard the saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". You are not responsible for someone else's decisions, so take care of you and hopefully she'll follow suit.
  • shexy16
    shexy16 Posts: 68
    Options
    Sadly, she won't do anything about it until SHE is ready to do something about it. Pushing her won't help. It isn't like she doesn't know she's overweight, she just isn't ready to deal with it yet. When the time comes, and SHE asks YOU for advice or help, then feel free to do whatever you can. Until then, pushing her just will make her feel worse.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The struggle is the same for every person. All of the success comes after we realize we have to change.
    The first part of that is to honestly accept yourself, then forgive yourself, then change yourself.

No one can decide when its time for her. She has to reach that crucial moment of "Ive had enough".
    You cannot feel guilty for her choices. When she is ready you will be there and that's awesome. I can understand its hard to watch her continue that lifestyle. Maybe leading by example and continuing to motivate her (even if its not well- received) will get her to reevaluate some of her choices.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    What made you start eating better and losing weight? Over the years you were not doing this, did anyone ever try to get you to start eating better or look at losing weight etc? Did you listen to them? Why did it take so long for you to get to this point yourself?

Everyone always "sees the light" differently, but the result is that once you have "seen it", you dont understand why everyone doesnt - kind of funny and arrogant at the same time. What you know yourself seems obvious and easy, and you cant remember that just a short time ago you were not so smart yourself.

You are just ahead of her, and whatever she needs to motivate her is still to come, just like it was for you. Be there for her, be an example, but think about your mindset before you got here and how you would have reacted to a "friend" doing the same thing. Let her watch you succeed and come ask you for help when she is ready, then be there for her all the way. But at her pace.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do for her is lead by example. Maybe she will see you getting healthier and happier and it will make her want to change. Maybe not.

You can't make her do anything until she is ready.

And stop feeling guilty for her choices. It will only beat you down.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Stop talking to her about it! Seriously I know it comes from a place of love and concern, but to the overweight person it sounds like a broken record and can frankly lead to food rebellion. Recently I just came to the realization that I am avoiding my mother because all she says is "hows your weight", "how are you feeling", "does you weight make your knees hurt"...I have raided 3 children (on my own) who are happy and whole, have a wonderful career, have a wonderful marriage, we travel, read great books and have great friends, we go camping and to the beach...does she ever want to talk about the wonderful things in my life?? Nope..just my weight. I sat her down and told her why I do not spend time with her, and by the way she is a wonderful person, so generous and loving, she apologized and said she did not realize how much it hurt me.

Your sis is NOT just her weight. It is just one aspect of a her life. Make plans with her for a movie, an art show, a concert or festival..then talk about how much fun you had. Talk about her Job, a good book she read, a TV show...anything but her weight or how she eats or her lack of exercise. Talk about all the successful things she does do in her life...sometimes being heavy we are so hard on ourselves sometimes we forget about all the great things in our life.

You sound like you are setting a great example, I know this journey is hard for you too...do you talk about it to her? Tell her when you dont feel like exercising and let her encourage you. Losing 20 lbs is great! Congrats!