Recommend a good book

Options
2»

Replies

• Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Diana Gabaldon's outlander series is pretty good, goes back into the 1700s. The other plus is they are pretty long books, you might not need as many :laugh:

I have been enjoying the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, light reads, and quite funny about a not so skilled female bounty hunter.

My mom just finished a book called "the Secret Daughter" I have been told by many that it is a really good book. I am borrowing it after my Aunt is finished with it.

Wally Lamb has a few good ones out there too.

I am like others on here I have overflowing bookshelves in every room and tastes range from serious, to romance to horror to thriller... I pretty much read anything :laugh:
  • FutureFormerFatGurl
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I love the Kellermans so good reminder to me! Also want to start on the 'Women's Murder Club' Novels.
    I so love when book threads pop up, always get reminded of my favorite authors that I've set aside for a bit and new ones as well from suggestions!

Thanks Mike!:wink::flowerforyou:

My wife and I, along with our daughters are avid readers. I go through at least 2 a week and Jan goes through 1 or 2. We both go back and forth about authors. She brings a lot of books home from her work for me to read. I have a hard time with women authors. Don't shoot me! Not being a chauvinist. It's just the perspective. Men and women think differently. We both love the Kellermans. If you like them, Becca, thry Robert Crais and John Sandford. Both have strong recurring characters like the Kellerman books. Robert Crais has a series with the characters Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. They are my wife's favorites.
    Thanks so much Mike for the ideas, really appreciated!! Seems the more I get to know you, the more I get to know the real you.:flowerforyou: I shouldn't be surprised, guess that's how it works.:tongue:

Oh in regards to male/female authors.. I understand what you're saying... I see that as merely a preference, I can definitely think of some female authors off the top of my head that a guy might not be at interested in because of the authors angle. Guess that's why there are so many wonderful authors to choose from:drinker:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • missesm
    Options
    Have just finished reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin.... absolutely love it.... !
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The whole trilogy is great. Recommended it to several people and all have LOVED it.

Here is the synopsis from the Barnes and Nobel website.
    "In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival."
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    I guess I should've clarified my taste-no vampires, nothing like Nicholas Sparks that will make me cry at the end (I don't mind touching stories of personal strength and survival, just no mushy romance). I like historical fiction I guess, feel good non-fiction. I like books set in other places/periods. I also like a good mystery.

I loved The Book Thief- its set in WWII and is fiction. I also just finished Water for Elephants set in the 1930's around a circus, but its really a love story!
  • duckie33
    duckie33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation next month and the one thing I always looking forward to is reading a good book. On a ten day vacation I'll read 2-3 books. Have you read anything good? What did you like about it?
    Well, my last book read was Christian fiction. And, it was absolutely awesome! The book, "The Shack" by William P. Young just took you on a journey. Every emotion you would muster up in your real life comes up as you read this book. It was the best Christian fiction book I've ever read, and I have been raving about it for the past month.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Anything by Phillipa Gregory would be historical romance type (think Tutor England era)
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Anything by Phillipa Gregory would be historical romance type (think Tutor England era)

Just finished The Other Boleyn Girl By her...great book!

Also, loved The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich is hysterical.
    The Fever Series by Karing Moning is awesome.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite contemporary novel is Audrey Niffenegger's "The Time Traveler's Wife". Her second novel, "Her Fearful Symmetry", was also VERY good!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The Twilight series is the PERFECT vacation read.

Charmagne