Weekend Trouble!!

Options
I seem to always fall off the wagon on the weekends. My husband is in the Army and is home mainly on the weekends. He's always wanting to eat really unhealthy things, and I tend to give in. Its really not fair because he can go through thousands of calories and not gain an ounce, but if I look at a pizza, I'm already 2 lbs. over.

ANY HELP? What do you guys do to keep on track on the weekends?

Ugh, I'm already dreading it starting tonight, he said he wants Dominos...

Replies

• SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You have lots of choices - you can eat separately from him, you can work out extra hard so you can "afford" those calories, or you can eat in moderation. Why not have a slice of pizza, and then make a big green salad for your main?

I tend to not log in on weekends, but I still keep in mind the progress I made over the week and I dont want to sabotage that. Good luck!
  • necki696
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I've been trying to stay more active during the weekends to allow for the higher calorie intake. But it is very hard when everyone around you is eating what ever they want
  • julster324
    Options
    I have similar problems getting off track on the weekends. One thing with pizza is I always try to get a salad and only eat one slice of pizza. Also I feel more in control of the calories if I make a homemade pizza adding veggies or turkey sausage. I also try to work out on saturday mornings so I am ahead with calorie burn before eating. Good luck.

Julie
  • karljp
    karljp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, same problem here! Domino's? Yuck! You can find a better pizza joint that that! You need to just focus hard during the week so you can enjoy the weekend. I would also say have a very vigorous w/o on Saturday to offset those calories if possible.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Can you guys order two pizzas? Maybe you get a small pizza with half the cheese? And throw in a big salad?

I have the same problem. My boyfriend isn't watching what he eats, so he's the same as your hubby. On the weekends, I don't cook. I find that if we do go out to eat, I suggest restaurants where I know I can eat healthy. A lot of times, I'll suggest subway. Also, when he makes himself a big nasty lunch, I'll have that Amy's Organic Minestrone soup. You can eat the entire can for only 180 calories and 3 grams of fat. Throw in a couple of crackers, and it's very filling.

Since he's not home during the week, maybe you can tell him you'd like to make him some home cooked meals - and then make them healthy?

Good luck! I know how hard this can be.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    I seem to always fall off the wagon on the weekends. My husband is in the Army and is home mainly on the weekends. He's always wanting to eat really unhealthy things, and I tend to give in. Its really not fair because he can go through thousands of calories and not gain an ounce, but if I look at a pizza, I'm already 2 lbs. over.

ANY HELP? What do you guys do to keep on track on the weekends?

Ugh, I'm already dreading it starting tonight, he said he wants Dominos...

You can have a cheat day -- Make Saturday your cheat day w/him... if you are doing everything right all week long, staying within your caloric goals, exercising, etc... one day a week will not hurt to go over. It's actually good for your metabolism. All of the diet programs, that work, allow a cheat day, that's why not only do you have daily caloric intake, but a weekly... banked points on WW, same principle. You DO NOT gain weight over night, you gain weight over days/weeks/months of unhealthy eating.
  • cjfoster
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Ok to have that slice of pizza and a salad along with H2O instead of soda. I try to workout in the early morning on Saturday and Sunday and if I feel I've over done it with the calorie intake I will workout Sunday evening. Remember if you indulge then you must pay (workout) for the consequences. Good Luck!
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I make weekends my long workout days. I also add more water and veggies before I eat my meals so I eat less. It's great to plan healthy alternatives like eating roasted chicpeas while he eats peanuts or a lean cuisine pizza while he has the real thing. If you like to cook you can make healthier versions of his favorite foods. Drink your water and eat your veggies/salad a half hour before eating any "treats" and you will eat alot less.
  • lbissett79
    lbissett79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The way I look at things may be different than others. I tell myself a lack of discipline is what got me where I am now so I have to make dramatic changes in order to regain control. I feel like if I can sacrifice for the time being and get myself in the metal state I need to be in to be successful, then later I can start to relax when I am maintaining my goal weight. I see every meal as a way to achieve my goal and any meal that doesn't work towards that goal as a mini failure. I am sure some would say this is a hard line to take but this is what I need to keep me focused. I say eat what you have been eating all week when your husband gets home and have him help you by being supportive of that choice.
  • RisRis85
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! Its nice to feel like there are so many others out there with the same deal!

I REALLY LOVE the large salad with 1 slice of pizza, I never even considered that. :):):)

Thanks so much, I'm still reading over all these replys, seriously, you guys made my day!
  • RisRis85
    Options
    I really like the suggestion of eating veggies and water before. I always heard water, but veggies are a great idea. Low calories, they can be filling, I love that!
  • ksilvey
    Options
    I have 3 kids and a husband who are not on a diet and it is hard to cook for them and not eat everything that they do. Just eat one slice of pizza and a huge salad. I eat a salad every night at supper and then I eat a very SMALL portion of what they are eating. You can do this. It just takes A LOT of will power. Let your husband know that you want to eat the same thing that he is eating but that you need help in controlling the amount that you eat. My family totally understands and my 5 year old even says "Mommy, do you really need all that". Just keep track of your calories and STAY in you range!!!!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The weekends are also the worst time for me. I think it's because I'm not on a schedule and at work like I am during the week. Allow yourself one day as a cheat day. I will keep you sane! lol
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I have 3 kids and a husband who are not on a diet and it is hard to cook for them and not eat everything that they do. Just eat one slice of pizza and a huge salad. I eat a salad every night at supper and then I eat a very SMALL portion of what they are eating. You can do this. It just takes A LOT of will power. Let your husband know that you want to eat the same thing that he is eating but that you need help in controlling the amount that you eat. My family totally understands and my 5 year old even says "Mommy, do you really need all that". Just keep track of your calories and STAY in you range!!!!
    I have the same problem. When I'm eating the same thing that my family is eating I always use either a kids plate or a salad plate instead of the regular dinner plate. I'll also chew a stick of mint gum while cooking so I'm not taking too many bites.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Here's how I would enjoy dining out/social functions/parties yet ensure I did not over eat:

Ideally we would all just make amazing choices, listen to our bodies (i.e.: eat when we're hungry and stop when we're full), but in social situations this common sense stuff can frequently fly out the window. In order to set myself up for success, I do a few things:

- Spoil my appetite: I never enter a social situation hungry. I do not save calories for these events. I eat before I go and arrive at the event full. This way I can make rational decisions about what to taste/sample. Even if I plan on eating a full meal at a restaurant, I STILL spoil my appetite. Arriving full saves me hundreds (if not thousands) of calories.

- I wear clothing that does not allow room for a huge meal/over eating: The belt-over-everything trend has been my friend. I always wear a fitted belt around my waist over button downs, sweaters, cardigans, whatever. Wear those skinny jeans. Wear that fitted dress. Whatever I chose, it's my goal to make it fit comfortably ALL. NIGHT. It's really hard to stuff myself full of food when my outfit does not allow for much expansion of the belly. There's a reason people undo their pants after a big meal. I won't be that girl.

I also skip the bread basket. Start with a cup broth based soup to fill me up. Half of my entree goes in a 'to go' container as soon as it arrives at the table. If dessert is ordered, I have a bite or two. I also keep the black, decaf coffee coming. I pick and choose which items mean the most to me (do I want birthday cake or do I want hors d'oeuvres, for example) and pick my pleasure.

These tactics have worked for me for the past year :)

This is also a great article about healthy lifestyles and weekends:

http://thehealthyapron.com/2010/07/16/weekends-6ways-to-keep-it-healthy/

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne