IS anyone else having trouble with the new recipe builder ?

Options
Is anyone else having problems with the new recipe builder ? I really don't think 175000 calories for an aubergine is correct ! nor 4000 for a clove of garlic
It cannot find items that are in the general food list
This is wasting me a lot of time !

Replies

• kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've had troubles but they're fixable. If I've got a longer recipe, I just use the old one, much easier. You could always just keep using the old one if the new one is too much of a hassle.

EDIT: Didn't realize they'd totally removed the old recipe creator. Sorry! Has been a while since I felt the need to use the old one which used to exist before.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed anything yet. I don't even understand how you got 1750000 for an aubergine. Or how you could.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is if the recipe is in kJ and MFP thinks it's calories.
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I kept getting this with butternut squash (17500?!) and finally noticed it was changing the quantity so for example I was putting in 180g butternut squash and it was coming up as 180 cups of butternut squash

If you haven't already, check the quantities :) sometimes I went to replace item and then selected whatever was right and double checked the quantities.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ou really have to double check the quantity and measurment. Always at least one item gets screwed up, so I go through and check EVERYTHING, sometimes it even changes the item which is really frustrating
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use the old recipe calculator. There's a link to it on the right hand side under the ad. I'll only use the new one if I'm linking a recipe off a website.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Didn't realize they'd totally removed the old recipe creator. Sorry! Has been a while since I felt the need to use the old one which used to exist before.

The old one is still there, but confusingly, it is called the "Old Recipe Calculator." It's on the right side of the recipe page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've had troubles but they're fixable. If I've got a longer recipe, I just use the old one, much easier. You could always just keep using the old one if the new one is too much of a hassle.

They actually do still have the old recipe creator on the recipe webpage, to the right of the recipe box. I use the old one most of the time. :smile:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Check the quantity that it entered. Also make sure it's pulling a good entry that actually has accurate numbers. Lately it likes to change my butter to cups no matter what I pick but that's easy to fix, and the shrimp listing it was pulling was showing as 1 calorie and no protein, so had to fix that.

It shouldn't take long to make the adjustments. The old one takes me longer
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've actually had better luck using the recipe builder on the phone app.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I had a nightmare it wouldn't let me change each to grams so I had 500 mushrooms I gave up stuck it all in the lunch section and then added it as a meal.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Neither version is very user friendly, imo.

I have been favoring the new one because it's easier to adjust the quantity from the ingredient screen. On the old one, if you add the wrong quantity, you can't edit it where you see it listed, you have to go back and search for and add it again.

But I end up swearing everytime, lol.

And @DrJenO, I didn't know the recipe builder was now on the app! I have to check that out!
  • RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I preferred the new one, and only used the old one when I created the recipe on my phone (where you only get the old one). As I've used it more though I much prefer the old one (which I can get on both the website and on my phone).

The new one never finds the ingredients I want, so if I use it I just add one ingredient, correct what it found, then add more ingredients one at a time.

I've had some really odd figures come from the new recipe builder. If I adjust the quantities and or pick a better ingredient from the database it works OK.

The old one doesn't let me edit existing ingredients, but otherwise I find it easier and choose to use it.

I actually find it easiest on my phone most of the time because I can scan barcodes on the foods I'm putting in (and I usually use the recipe builder while actually cooking), however it's quite easy for something to go wrong on that and it looses the recipe. Now I've worked out I can edit recipes on the phone (which wasn't obvious) I always save it with just a couple of ingredients then edit to add the rest. This allows me to save regularly and not loose so much if it glitches.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's pretty terrible. I was trying to use a recipe the other day with 3/4 c. orange marmalade. No matter how many times I changed the quantity to cup it insisted on changing it back to tbsp. Finally on about the 10th try it "took." It's frustrating and not easy to use.
  • Ciara108
    Ciara108 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bit of a stupid question so sorry in advance but where is the recipe builder? I've never used one before and it'd be interesting to mess about with one
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I prefer the one on my phone too. The website builder is definitely not user friendly, I often have to put in and take out the same ingredient several times before I can select what I really want. Sometimes I think I have finally got what I want, tap the check mark - and it's gone!!
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I spent a long time fixing nearly all the recipes I had put in because it would put in a cup of salt for a teaspoon and a cup of garlic for a clove. Fixable, but very annoying.
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    At the top of the page, click Food, then Recipes. It will let you copy and paste an address of a recipe or click under it on the enter manually hyperlink. Just be careful it recognizes all your ingredients and measurements. It has a bit of trouble with that part.
  • livingfor2day
    Options
    It is acting up. I entered the info and gave me one calorie count - noticed that it had picked two things up incorrectly - fixed them - gave me another calorie count. Saved it to my log - gave me a completely different calorie count. I'll just enter the items individually until it is fixed.