Can I just lift weights??????????

Options

Replies

• jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    Ok I hate aerobics too. I dont like the group stuff. I prefer to go alone or just me and a personal trainer. Ive had co-workers begging me to do zumba. I tried it once and not for me. Not a people person.

I am glad to hear I can just strength train, but my other problem is my nutritionist totally poo poo's women doing too much weight lifting! She says its great in moderation, but wont move the scale. I fear the scale. Seriously, it's driving me nuts.

My doctors are all about how many pounds I've lost and last time I was brow beaten cause they said I wasnt losing weight so I must be doing something wrong. Which made me angry. I've been working out like a mad woman and eating right, but nothing. So I've been told to cut the weight lifting in half.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What's your lifting regime like?
  • jedi9393
    Options
    grueling! about 30-45 min of lifting. I do it all legs, arms, core. machines, dumbells, floor work with the dumbells too. bench pressing. leg pressing.

Dumbells 15lbs each. I leg press 140. bench press 80lbs.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for you to do is get rid of your scales. You have commented in many threads about the lack of weight loss as measured by scales, but you have also said that you are losing inches which is a way better indicator.

It just seems like the scales are going to do your head in and possibly put you off what is a good plan for you, just because you want the scales to shift.

Be happy that you are losing where it counts and stuff the scales. Do what I did - put them on the driveway and run them over.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    yes the scale is driving me mad. I'm gonna tell my husband to put it in his car and weigh himself at work! He needs the scale cause of his heart condition.

But now my nutritionist and surgeon are telling me basically im a failure. So yeah, I'm not having fun.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Well put THEM on the driveway and - hmm better not.

Have you told them you are losing inches?? Or are they thinking you have made no progress when that isn't true at all.

Are they using other markers of improved health or just the scales? If its the latter I'd be sacking them.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    No, they only go by the scale. I dont get measured. They have me print out my food intake for 2 weeks, my workouts too and weigh me. Ask about how hungry i am. Kept asking me if this was all I ate. Yes it is you *************! Once again they say it's impossible for me to gain, blah blah blah. Suggest I cut back on the weights, drink more water and pray to the weightloss Gods that my surgery is working. Well that last part I made up!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    grueling! about 30-45 min of lifting. I do it all legs, arms, core. machines, dumbells, floor work with the dumbells too. bench pressing. leg pressing.

Try to get on a set schedule that you follow continuously. Not just 'doing it all'.

Basically

Workout A
    Exercise 1 - X1 Sets of Y1 Reps
    Exercise 2 - X2 Sets of Y2 Reps

You can target specific muscle groups on specific days, you can do a full body routine every time you lift (assuming of course enough time is left in between lifting to recover). Whatever you do though it should be consistent, that way you can track your progress and ensure that you are balancing your workout appropriately and improving.

It sounds like the best first step for you would be to develop a solid workout plan. There are many people on this site who are far more knowledgeable on that particular subject than me, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to give advice to the best of my own abilities.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new nutritionist and dr. If you are loosing inches I wouldn't worry about any gain. How many days a week are you doing this? You have to give your muscles time to repair.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is not grueling. For a lot of people that is a short workout before they do cardio.Even if you get your heart going for that amount of time, you still are not getting enough cardio conditioning
  • emmab0902
    Options
    to be fair if you are focusing on the scales your health professionals will too. maybe you need to tell them you have lost inches. it's easy to buy into a scale focus if that is what you have been fixated on.

maybe at your next appt tell them about the inches you have lost and move to a different point of reference
  • jedi9393
    Options
    My workout was just a sample. If I wrote it all out then i would be here all day. I do 8-10 machines about 12 reps twice. then the dumbells which includes lunges too, then I do the presses. bench leg etc. then my floor routine which workes out my legs, arms, core, back too. I do have a routine, but I have to change it up every 2 weeks or so. Maybe not for some of you, but for me its taxing. I'm sore all over. I do heavy weights. At least heavy for me. I dont know many fat chicks that leg press 140. I'm strong and flexible. I try to push myself everyday.

Now I lift about 4-5 days a week and I walk 5-6 days a week. I know i need more rest days for sure. But I have only one real rest day where I dont do walking or lifting. And yes, the dreaded scale hasnt moved.

Unfortunately I cannot change my surgeon or his team. So thankfully I only see him once every other month now. But I do have to see his PA on 11/08 and if I dont lose and I know they will say something I will go off. Such is the life of a lapbander!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    yep. you can just lift weights and end up with a great body.

like the poster above said, throw in some supersets and make your weight routine become a cardio workout.

I do this. I like lifting but I also reconize the fact that I should keep a sweat going too.

So one main lift + another lift of a small muscle (bi's tri's etc..) then a hitt style plyometric. = one set.

Make up 3 sets fo these. Or 4
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    If I might make some suggestions then:
    1) Instead of 2 sets of 12 reps, go for more sets and fewer reps (this of course means increasing weight so that the fewer reps is a challenge). I personally like 5 sets of 5 repetitions, but there are other setups as well. I'd say target a maximum of 6 to 8 reps but do at least 4.

2) From what you've said I would guess you're targeting your full body each time you lift. If you're doing that and still lifting 4-5 days a week that's a concern. You need to give your muscles time to recover. If you're going to target your full body when you lift, don't life more than 3 times a week. If you want to lift more than 3 times a week, then lift differing muscle groups when you do.

3) Although I recognize that there's a lot it's hard to give advice without knowing what exercises you do when you're lifting. That being said, my personal preference for lifting is stronglifts 5x5. You might want to give that a shot. You shouldn't 'change things up' every 2 weeks. If I recall correctly it's every 6 to 8 weeks that you want to make a small change to your routine to discourage plateaus (don't quote me on this, I just know it's quite a bit more than 2 weeks).
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well to burn fat you have to add cardio in. You want to burn dat right?

That's not true. I lost 50lbs doing mainly weight training yoga, and pilates and sometimes walking.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Elite Level Ice Hockey training and believe it or not, there is a ZERO cardio component to the program. Why? Because steady pace activity doesn't have any direct correlation to performing better on the ice.

In other words: How you train all depends on your goals and your results!

You don't need to run 4x a week to lose weight and you don't need to sweat on the treadmill for hours on end to burn fat. The key is to educate yourself on a healthy lifestyle overall. How to eat properly, food Quality and not just quantity, and incorporate regular activity as part of that lifestyle.

That's what will bring you long lasting results for a lifetime.

Do what works for you and what you enjoy doing, and mix it up regularly so you keep challenging yourself to do new things.

Agree!!!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I second the poster about doing HIIT. It should take no more than 20 minutes and has all the benefits of cardio, but also boosts your metabolism like weight lifting does.

Run hard, jog, run hard, jog. That's all. Break it up into 1 minute increments and volia! Healthy heart, and muscles are retained.
  • Minicakes4814
    Minicakes4814 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done it before.

I worked out with weights 1/2 hr to an hour every other day using video tapes .I worked out my whole body and learned proper form . You have to be consistent no matter what and stick to your program. I really didn't change my diet that much. But it took a long time. It took eight months to show results . After a while the wight started to drop fast after 5 months. I only lost 30 lbs on the scale. But i dropped 4 shirt sizes and 3 pants size. Muscles take up less space than fat . I was tight. My stomach was smaller. And I never felt sexier. I love to eat so I do weight training as my first love of exercise. So If your not in a rush it will come off but slowly. The key is consistency.
  • RealPetChicken
    RealPetChicken Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this is a great topic, thanks for everyone who put their input, lately my knee has been kind of sore everytime i bend it, i've been doing cardio everyday, running at least 2 miles a day. My knee has put a stop to my current cardio, i guess i will start on weights. Can anyone recommend some good weight lifting exercises? i have no knowledge at all on weigh lifting.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Ok I hate aerobics too. I dont like the group stuff. I prefer to go alone or just me and a personal trainer. Ive had co-workers begging me to do zumba. I tried it once and not for me. Not a people person.

I am glad to hear I can just strength train, but my other problem is my nutritionist totally poo poo's women doing too much weight lifting! She says its great in moderation, but wont move the scale. I fear the scale. Seriously, it's driving me nuts.

My doctors are all about how many pounds I've lost and last time I was brow beaten cause they said I wasnt losing weight so I must be doing something wrong. Which made me angry. I've been working out like a mad woman and eating right, but nothing. So I've been told to cut the weight lifting in half.

your doctor/nutritionist is a moron. Getting through med school does not make one an expert in weight loss or fitness.

The best way to move the scale has always been through diet and weightlifting.

Initially, you will get some water retention in the muscles. this is GOOD. it means increased strength and muscle definition. This new weight is your new normal. Track weight loss from this new, full point.