Not Losing weight.

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been on a weight loss journey for a long time now. When I mean long time I mean over a year now. I started off at 157lbs. at my heaviest I have ever been. I went to a bridal show and bought a cleanse kit ( at Christmas time) and lost 7lbs. I have changed my diet and started exercising more than before. Only problem now is i can not seem to get under 150. My weight ranges between 150-153lbs. I really want to lose my muffin top before I get married in March. Some one please help me. I feel like the only way is to cut even more calories from my diet which I don't think is truly going to help. I am starting to lose hope.

Thanks

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope. This is doable. Add me if you'd like. I'm happy to help.
  • sherfu
    sherfu Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow, I am in the exact situation. I have been seeing a professional and on a clean eating plan, about six weeks. I lost 10.5 lbs. the first three weeks, now I am stuck. My clothes are starting to fit better, but my weight on the scale is being stubborn. I have recorded every bite for six weeks and have stayed on the plan 100%. Exercise off & on (mostly walking). I could use some ideas.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! Are you counting calories? How many are you eating a day? I've been seeing fairly steady losses at between 1200-1500 per day (usually around 1350). I find that weighing and measuring all my food precisely is really important. I also rarely eat out at restaurants, because it's so hard to accurately count calories at the types of restaurants I go to (non chain restos).

Please feel free to friend me here if you would like!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary you would get a lot more helpful advice.

If you're not losing, and you have ruled out any medical issues, then you are probably eating more than you think. Do you weigh your food? Or just estimate? If you're just guessing at portions part of the time then that's your problem right there.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food consistently and as accurately as possible everyday? How many calories are you consuming?

TBH, if you aren't losing weight, barring medical issues, you're not in a calorie deficit. If you're not logging your food, you won't know how much of a deficit you have, if any. If you aren't already, start by logging your intake, everyday. And throw out the cleanses. They don't work and they're a waste of money.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food consistently and as accurately as possible everyday? How many calories are you consuming?

TBH, if you aren't losing weight, barring medical issues, you're not in a calorie deficit. If you're not logging your food, you won't know how much of a deficit you have, if any. If you aren't already, start by logging your intake, everyday. And throw out the cleanses. They don't work and they're a waste of money.

This +1

If you are going to the hassle and tedium of being on a diet then make sure you are doing it properly and that includes creating a calorie deficit. If you arent logging or arent logging accurately then you will have problems.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

This +1

If you are going to the hassle and tedium of being on a diet then make sure you are doing it properly and that includes creating a calorie deficit. If you arent logging or arent logging accurately then you will have problems.

To also add. One thing that I do that helps me A LOT is having a food scale at home. Are you weighing/measuring your servings accurately?
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    weigh all solids and measure all liquids (except for things with zero calories like water)

be sure to use accurate entries from the database. When I am finding a new food I check and double-check it against several other sites and/or the package information to make sure I am selecting an accurate entry. After that I just use the entry in my history or favorites as I know it has been checked for accuracy. It takes a while at first but then goes faster as you go along and have to search less foods.

use raw weight on meats, and if you can't be sure to use cooked weight entries from the database. When you are a smallish person 100 calories a day makes a HUGE difference and you can easily mis-track this badly with one wrong database entry and 1 piece of meat.

Do not use listed calorie info for food you don't prepare yourself (restaurant/fast food/potlucks etc) and expect them to be accurate! If you absolutely cannot stand to stall out at times and don't have a lot to lose (therefore your calorie goals are relatively low) then you really need to track more accurately than food out is going to let you, unless you are going to carry around a food scale or take everything home, take it apart and weigh it before you eat it. And even then it won't be 100% accurate due to prep method variations.

The short answer is it's a lot easier to do this with a lot of patience and allowing yourself some experimentation over time to identify what works for you as an individual. Every single person will lose weight if they use up more calories than they ingest, but what keeps us able to eat less than what our body uses is different for everyone.

For example, I can easily (though slowly) lose weight steadily on 2,200 calories a day. If my target calories is 1900 and I mis-track by 200 calories that's not such huge proportional error, and doesn't even take me above "maintenance" calories for the day. It will slow my weight loss but not stop it. Of course I am fat, so I burn a lot of calories. If you are really short and don't have a lot to lose you may need to net 1400 calories a day to lose weight, thus a 200 calories mis-track can set you back twice as long as for me!

The point is accuracy and tracking trends over time (a month or more) is going to be the best way to assess your plan. If you track accurately and after 5 weeks haven't lost anything that likely means you are eating too much and need to eat less to be in a deficit (barring medical issue as others have mentioned).

Also don't over-estimate your exercise calories.
  • jstewa40
    Options
    I would suggest lowering your calorie intake to 1200 if you are currently eating more than that and I would up my exercise as much as needed to see results. You will have to continue to up your exercise as you continue to lose weight. Also be sure you are eating healthy foods which are low in fat and calories.