Hey, this MFP thing works!

Options
I had a little experiment this last week. I had to take time off from my exercise routine in order to heal tendonitis in my right foot. Normally I would take a water aerobics class 3 x a week and 6 of the 7 days I make sure I get my 10,000 steps, which includes a 3 mile walk on the days I don't have class and frequently a 1.5 mile walk on the days I do (Sunday I don't do any planned exercise).

Anyway, I typically eat back half of my exercise calories so my day is usually anywhere from 1900 to 2200 calories total, depending on the activity. This week, I stuck with my 1900 since i had no exercise since Monday (my actual calories averaged 1750). Well, I weighed myself this morning and I lost another 1.4 lb which is exactly what I have been averaging per week since starting MPF 8 months ago.

I guess going for the calorie goal and eating back part of your exercise calories when you earn them is a good way to lose. Granted I am one person and this is one week, but it is compelling anecdotal evidence when added to all of the others who have lost doing the same thing.

ps: yes, I log everything and weigh and measure everything (except green leafy veggies and I count cherry tomatos. Everyone has to have their little rebellion and I can't go too far wrong with those two). I am reasonably good at estimating when I eat out or at someone's home because I weigh and measure so diligently at home.

Replies

• maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like to hear about your progress as we seem to be doing the same thing when it comes to exercising and eating back your calories. Works for me too. I usually eat about half back. And I usually lose on average 1. to 1.5 a week.
    You're doing so great. To me taking the time to measure and weigh is worth it.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm glad the week 'off' worked out well for you! MFP is awesome. :-)
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    And you did it without apple cider vinegar or bee pollen! Seriously, I am so happy for you that you are turning your life around.
    You are the role model for true success in life.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    And you did it without apple cider vinegar or bee pollen! Seriously, I am so happy for you that you are turning your life around.
    You are the role model for true success in life.

Awww, thanks :blushing:

I even drink a diet soda almost daily and eat sugar . . . the horror :devil:
  • hbeauxmont
    Options
    Great job! Love your comment about having a little rebellion...I never count the splash of soy milk I put in my coffee for some reason!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Great job! Love your comment about having a little rebellion...I never count the splash of soy milk I put in my coffee for some reason!

Yup. A little controlled rebellion is good for the mental health part of weight loss. I also measure my oatmeal instead of weighing because it is easier to keep a 1/2 cup measuring cup on the container to scoop it out. 1 scoop oats, 2 scoops water, 2 minutes in the microwave, a sprinkle of Splenda, and my breakfast is all set
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like you, OP!:drinker:

Yep, this MFP way works as long as ya work it. As a general rule of thumb, I eat back all but 100 of my exercise calories (calculated by Fitbit). That 100 I figure is made up in my own "rebellious" ways.

As a former smoker, I now chew an unholy amount of sugar free gum--like 2-3 packages a week--and I don't log it (GASP!). And I don't bring my scale or cups to the school's cafeteria (wouldn't that be a sight). I don't even sweat it for one minute.
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

I am actually looking forward to stepping on the scale this week...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options