Regular meals and snacking doesn't work for me, a binger

Options
Hi all,

The common sense healthy eating advice, to help keep blood glucose levels stable and prevent binge eating )I am a binger) is as my title states, 3 meals and two snacks.

There are certain foods I overeat on and having guests for the week has been really tough (at some point I cave and eat the white bread, cereal etc, as I did today, grr). But I actually find it a night mare having to think about food and eating all the time. My bingeing is much worse when I have guests and there is all this food about and food preparation to see to.

It's not their fault, it's mine. However, I'm not sure this regular meal thing is a great idea for a binger/compulsive eater, well, currently , I'm failing.

I was much better , and not bingeing when I had the following routine:

Coffee with frothed milk and a square of dark choc breakfast
3 pm dark chocolate and an apple/ few tomatoes , another coffee with milk
8 pm, protein, vegetable, salad, sweet potato and frozen berries with full fat Greek yog for dessert.

Since havibg guests,

I get up at 6 with the children, coffee and square of chocolate for me
10:30 am they want breakfast and requests this am were fried sausage sandwich (it's the weekend) with white bread and sugary cereal...I have a sausage sandwich and cereal then start craving lots of chocolate and sugar AFTER I have eaten (I think it's because I ate to be polite and the white bread sent me into "hmmmm mode"
13:00 roast dinner with chocolate pudding

Everyone is now talking about toast for supper.

I ate secretly whilst prepping food, the rest of the box of cereal, and all the rest of the chocolate- I can usually do moderation when I eat a square slowly by myself when a little pecking but the sausage sandwich and cereal seemed to set of cravings.

I've read about certain foods causing cravings but I can't help but believe it must be me, my weak will, there must be some innate desire to eat this way perhaps? But when I give myself free reign with these foods I just eat, and eat and eat ... Never feeling full and always craving more.

It almost seems better, for me, to bit eat that much in the am as I appreciate when I'm truly hungry much later in the day.

So are regular meals the way to go for a binger? I have eaten excesses of kcal and the urge to diet now is huge (something I'm avoiding as I don't want to continue being a binger but this not controlling what I eat is causing weight gain).

I just thought I would share, I understand Christopher fairbourne (a v knowledgable chap on binge eating suggests eating regular meals with snacks).

Replies

• Frankiigii
    Frankiigii Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into intermittent fasting? One popular option is to fast for 16 hours a day, including sleeping hours and then only eat during an 8 hour window. What is your calorie goal for weight loss? I'm eating 1600 calories a day, so in two meals I could eat 800 calories. Personally I find it easier to control my eating that way. Also, I would just suggest not having things like cereal in your house at all. Maybe stick to whole grain breads too. Basically if it's not good for you, you shouldn't buy it and then having it laying around and tempting you all day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you are to kind, the guests should be able to manage their own diet, and your regime in the form of some kind of IF is apparantly good for you. MOST people manage hunger better on several small meals, but not everybody. You have to trust yourself on this.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also find it helpful to limit my eating to a smaller than usual window, in my case noon to 10:00 p.m.

And I would binge too if I gave free rein to my tendencies. However, having decided that getting fit is more important, I log all my foods (usually before I consume them -- that's a big key), and when I reach my daily limit, I don't eat any more. Full stop.

That keeps it very simple. Either I'm sticking to the program or I'm not. No grey areas. No "just a little more won't hurt."

I hope this helps!
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    I've had an eating disorder and then started binging in recovery. Since a few weeks I don't eat much throughout the day so I can eat lots in the evening/at night when cravings and boredom kick in. This seems to be a suitable method for me and I actually lost about 7 lbs since I started it. But that doesn't mean that it will work for you.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Lots of things to address here... I do think you'd fare well on intermittent fasting, as others suggested. It's worked well for me :)

You're right- certain foods, like cereals, will make you hungrier. I have to avoid stuff like that, and white bread, white potatoes or I won't be able to get my appetite back to "normal" for days some times.

When you have guests or when there is tempting food around, have things that you can eat. In your example, the breakfast sandwich was mostly a good option and you could skip the cereal. Never eat to be polite! I used to do that too but that has to stop.

You CAN stop your binges. It might take a long (long, long, long) time but you can. Good luck :)
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should look into intermittent fasting. I had this same problem when I tried to switch to 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I would go WAY over my daily calories, forcing myself to eat when I wasn't hungry which made me sick to my stomach, then when I finally was hungry eating everything in site. Anyway, now that my window is noonish until 8- 9 pmish I dropped almost 30 lbs. in a matter of a little over 4 months, have a lot more energy and have found that I am rarely hungry, all with hitting my daily goal and not going over. It is not for everybody but it sounds like you might be a good candidate for it. Best of luck.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It may be partially the quality of foods that you are eating. I do find that simple carbs like flour and sugar, make my cravings skyrocket. I have recently started increasing my protein and have found that keeps my hunger curbed far better. Also, since I have trouble getting enough protein to meet my goal through food, I have started supplementing with a protein powder, which has the added benefit of feeling like a treat. You could try a chocolate one.

I think the key for you though, is going to be behavioral. You have already observed that when you stick to a certain routine, it is far easier for you to succeed. You have to find what works best for you. And also realize that at least for the time being, you stick to that routine no matter what. Even if there are guests, even if there is a party, or a birthday cake, or your aunt cooked that special dish that you love and only get once a year. The problem with caving for "special" occcasions, or "just this once" is that there is always another special occasion right around the corner. Some people (myself included) just don't do well with moderation and grey areas. Some people just do better with black and white rules. Maybe someday you can relearn better eating habits and progress to having more flexibility, but perhaps for now it is better to just choose some hard and fast rules to stick to.

Most importantly, don't give up and don't "start over," just keep going- and do it as soon as possible. There are going to be bumps in the road, but your consistent effort will pay off eventually.
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice - thank you. I am going to have to accept, like you say glasshalffull, there will always be an occasion, I have a young child/step/relatives and we will always have guests staying at certain times. To digress slightly, it's interesting that food is such an emotive issue, not just to those of us with "foodie issues" but to everyone. it's something that is social, people have very strong feelings about food and what people do o don't eat and to not sit and eat with others can appear rude. That's less about the food itself, but of course sharing a meal/snack together seems a way to bond! Prior to children it would have been a drink!

I love your idea glasshalffull (loving the positivity of the username btw :-) ) of not starting over. That's how I feel, I have to start "over" and then psychologically it feels like I have "failed" - and for those of you who have dared read my previous posts (please don't if you haven't, they are frantic affairs) my "failings" occur every time we have guests; once a week, once a fortnight. Being in a position at the moment to reflect, it's very obvious, that this, in itself, is part of the process. I absolutely don't do well with grey areas, I have noticed I'm like that with lots of aspects of my life, I am naturally at times disorganised but I thrive on having structure and routine (although internally rebel against this when I feel it doesn't fit in with other people's needs). Ah the "just this once" - that line always comes into my mind at that point in time, prior to the binge, Just this once bowl, just a little...

Orfygirl that's fantastic IF is working for you. I must admit I am tempted although I know lots of people will be screaming "don't do it you're a binger" but when I reflect, i am much better at feeling really hungry by the time it gets to the early afternoon and then I eat due to HUNGER, and then I recognise feeling full. If I eat in the morning, I can enjoy it, but I'm not hungry and I don't recognise "I'm full up now" if that makes sense. Fantastic 30 lbs Orfygirl- do you think you will be able to maintain this lifestyle? are those around you accepting of it?

Cortneyrenee were you a binger too- I mean the whole packet type of girl? If so, have you managed to not binge for a long period of time now? How do you work out your IF (one meal? two meals?).

Karka , thank you for sharing. I am sorry to hear you also have a ED. I do hope you continue to stay well. Are you receiving support?

Solar_cat that's fantastic. i think I would be similar to you, 12 - 9pm. Otherwise I would be snacking. It's also interesting to see some of us have huge appetites. My husband's children eat junk but are very skinny and feel full up. It is helpful to hear others would binge if given free reign with food, I don't wish it on others but it is always helpful to hear. My husband can have a cupboard full of snacks and not think about them. I love that "I'm either sticking to the program or not" I think that's something I'm struggling with. As soon as I am NOT mindful, I just eat- one for my guest, one for me, handful as I poor out cereal for children, another ten handfuls for me.

It's so helpful to hear advice from others who have endured binge eating. The bit whereby you zone out and the more you eat the more you want- and it takes up the whole day.

Thank you. Really great advice and provided me with support for the start of the week.

I am also trying to address why I binge eat- the behavioural (habit formed when I was four I think! I still recalling the time I ate all the popcorn and was sick (but now wonder why my siblings ate it and stopped when they were full..!) side of things. Having my "plan" makes me feel relaxed. It really strikes a cord that two of you mentioned "grey areas" that's absolutely what I struggle with. I need to focus on, that's not on my plan, so answers no...

Glasshalffull, I was thinking of adding protein powder to my dinner at night as I don't think I get enough- then I thought I may just add some extra yogurt to my dessert. That's something else I meant to add with frequent meals, if I don't eat enough in the evening I can't sleep! I do better having a larger meal (not a fat heavy meal) but my main bulk of kcal before bed. If I have a bad night's sleep I am finding it much harder to function the next day.

Thank you all! I feel really motivated by your posts.