Food ideas - meat free, low carb, nut free

Options
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with food options for work. I work at a private Jewish school that has a kosher policy, meaning I can't bring any meat from home or anything else considered not kosher (including shrimp). The school recently went nut-free due to allergy concerns. Because I have PCOS, I feel healthiest and lose the most weight when I stick to a mostly low carb diet, or at least low glycemic. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 servings of healthy grains per day (brown rice, whole wheat tortilla, etc)

On top of all of that, I would really like to be able to make my lunches and snacks ahead of time. I find that I have trouble maintaining a healthy diet when I am cooking/preparing every day. AND... I'm on a budget :)

Any ideas? Thanks so much :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eggs and dairy. Lots of vegetables. Chia seeds. Hemp seeds.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. It'll solve the restrictions you have during your work day plus it helps restore/promote insulin sensitivity which is beneficial for your PCOS.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • MrsLady30
    MrsLady30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amy's Kitchen products (many) are even kosher certified... frozen dinners and some come with less salt options and you can also choose nut free in their search engine... They have symbols by the ones that are kosher and nut free . Also, their canned items are non-BPA lined.
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sadly I have considered eating in my car... :( not sure about leaving meat out there for 5 hours til I can eat though. Oh, and I also have only 30 minutes for lunch so I can't leave. Wahhhh!!
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Is there an option of buying lunch there? you could buy meat and bring veggies with you

or you could eat a big meal before work, then get a smaller snack (eggs, cheese, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower)) during work and eat a bigger meal once you get home?
  • toodloo
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. It'll solve the restrictions you have during your work day plus it helps restore/promote insulin sensitivity which is beneficial for your PCOS.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Interesting idea... I'll look into it.
  • toodloo
    Options
    Is there an option of buying lunch there? you could buy meat and bring veggies with you

or you could eat a big meal before work, then get a smaller snack (eggs, cheese, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower)) during work and eat a bigger meal once you get home?

We do have meal delivery for the students. I've tried using it but the only meat options are sandwiches (with one slice of meat) or chicken fingers (breaded)... Or in general it's just low-quality or not filling.

Good idea with the seeds- I might start incorporating some sunflower butter.
  • SimaN2014
    SimaN2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Salad with any of: fish, cottage cheese, hummus + veg, baba ganoush + veg, marinated & pan fried tofu.

Are you allowed to bring kosher meats, or nothing at all? If you are allowed to bring kosher meats, you could get a kosher chicken and roast it, then use the bones to make soup after. Roast chicken goes a long way for lunch and you can also have chicken & veg soup some days as well.

Another option is roasted veg soup. Just roast the vegetables you like in the oven with some oil and a spash of vinegar and rosemary and salt and pepper. Then blend it all up into soup. You can vary the glycemic load by including more or less potatoes or beans in there. Super yum with a little sun dried tomato pesto on top.

Bean soup is another good one. Basically saute some garlic, onion, carrots, celery. Add vegetable broth, then add different kinds of beans (from a can or pre-soaked & cooked / or pressure cooked), cook, add a can of crushed tomatoes and a little lemon juice if you like, cook some more. Blend half of it and add it back in. Season to taste. (I don't have the proportions here, but you can go with what makes sense to you) You would have to look into if this has too heavy a GI for you, and adjust the bean to veg proportions accordingly.
  • toodloo
    Options
    Salad with any of: fish, cottage cheese, hummus + veg, baba ganoush + veg, marinated & pan fried tofu.

Are you allowed to bring kosher meats, or nothing at all? If you are allowed to bring kosher meats, you could get a kosher chicken and roast it, then use the bones to make soup after. Roast chicken goes a long way for lunch and you can also have chicken & veg soup some days as well.

Another option is roasted veg soup. Just roast the vegetables you like in the oven with some oil and a spash of vinegar and rosemary and salt and pepper. Then blend it all up into soup. You can vary the glycemic load by including more or less potatoes or beans in there. Super yum with a little sun dried tomato pesto on top.

Bean soup is another good one. Basically saute some garlic, onion, carrots, celery. Add vegetable broth, then add different kinds of beans (from a can or pre-soaked & cooked / or pressure cooked), cook, add a can of crushed tomatoes and a little lemon juice if you like, cook some more. Blend half of it and add it back in. Season to taste. (I don't have the proportions here, but you can go with what makes sense to you) You would have to look into if this has too heavy a GI for you, and adjust the bean to veg proportions accordingly.

No meat at all.. I WISH I was allowed to bring kosher meat!

I did black bean soup last week and it was great. Today I did roasted eggplant/hummus/feta in a whole wheat pita.

I love soups - I think I'll need to make a bunch of different veggie soups and incorporate beans into them. I really appreciate all the suggestions! In reality it's just so much harder to get protein (which I really need to feel full) without meat and nuts,.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Veggie burgers made from beans and veggies are always good - many 'from scratch' recipes.

Homemade falafel can be made SUPER cheap - dried chickpeas, salt, onion, and parsley is all you need. Some add a starch or flour, but it can be done without (I am low carb for medical reasons, too, so that's what I do).

Homemade hummus is also easy to make, and in some areas they make it with olive oil rather than olive oil plus expensive tahini, so I make mine with chickpeas, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil (some add roasted or raw garlic, too).

I've seen some neat veggie-only sushi-like recipes - some nice veggies (carrots, cucumber) combine with a little avocado, wrapped in seaweed, and then some soy sauce to dip it in.

Chili, of course.

A super cheap but very filling soup is to take 1 eggplant, 1 onion, and roast in oven, with skin still on, until soft. Peel, blend in a blender, and add to 2 cups veggie broth. Heat until fragrant, then just add salt and a little lemon juice to taste, and that's it. Very rich tasting, nice.

If you can do beans all right (not too many carbs), you could look at socca bread recipes (tons online) - it's a traditional french flat bread that requires chickpeas, oil, water, and salt - that's it. It's officially made with chickpea flour, but in Europe, where it's not as finely ground as in the USA. I just bought dried chickpeas and ground them up a little at a time in the blender. I've made this as a base for a pizza and it works quite well, or with herbs added it's a nice breadish side dish.