Why is sugar the devil?

Options
I see SO MANY posts from people advocating that sugar is the devil. I see so many products that are "sugar free" and instead have the artificial sweeteners.

Why is sugar the devil? Did I miss some "scientific breakthrough" that is now claiming sugar is evil and is the cause of all the world's woes?

Replies

• kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I dunno...is diabetes "science?"

Seriously though, if you want and can have sugar, I'm not riding you about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In and of itself, it's not...but most people who eat the SAD consume it in unhealthy quantities. Also, many people who are overweight have insulin sensitivities and do well to reduce their intake of sugar and carbs in general.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options

So you're saying all diabetes is caused by sugar consumption and absolutely nothing else?

I'm not judging if someone wants to, or has to, go "no sugar". If it works for you, go for it! Seriously...stop looking for judgement where there is none.

I just really would like to understand where people are coming from that has created this huge "sugar is evil" mindset.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Far too many reasons to post here, its always been bad but the food industry want to tell you fat is bad, not sugar, as sugar is a cheap way to make crap taste good...ok I over simplify, but hey sugar makes your insulin spike, in the presence of excess carbohydrate insulin causes fat to be deposited.....spiking insulin too frequently can lead to insulin resistance and type two diabetes as well as fatness! Before anybody chimes in this is a very simplified explanation read volek, lyle macdonald etc etc
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    It's not. No food or micro/macro is bad unless you have a health issue that results in problems when consuming too much of said nutrient.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

So you're saying all diabetes is caused by sugar consumption and absolutely nothing else?

I'm not judging if someone wants to, or has to, go "no sugar". If it works for you, go for it! Seriously...stop looking for judgement where there is none.

I just really would like to understand where people are coming from that has created this huge "sugar is evil" mindset.

I thought flame baiting was against community rules :huh:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Simple. Because it tastes good, and in many cases happens to be in high calorie packages.

For some reason people are made to feel guilty about things that taste good (and things that are high in calories.)

Now sugar, as a carb, is the devil for someone who has diabetes or similar issues.

As for artificial sweeteners, they're great for diabetics or for people who are watching their calories. I would rather have a 5 calorie soda than a 100+ one and spend those extras elsewhere.

Also,

The-Best-Red-Velvet-Cupcakes-Recipe-Devil-Halloween.jpg
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    We want to find the devils in something besides ourselves that way we don't have to take responsibility.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    In because this topic never goes well. And we get to see awesome devil cupcakes!
  • incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    im a full blown sugar addict and i know it.

i work in the wine and spirits industry and the days i dont have drinks i am just craving sugar so badly its scary
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In and of itself, it's not...but most people who eat the SAD consume it in unhealthy quantities. Also, many people who are overweight have insulin sensitivities and do well to reduce their intake of sugar and carbs in general.

^^ smart man here ^^

and for me (and many others, it seems) eating a lot of foods with added sugars just makes me hungrier. NOT what one wants when trying to lose or maintain. And it makes me cranky. Why would I eat a bunch of stuff that works against my goals.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Simple. Because it tastes good, and in many cases happens to be in high calorie packages.

For some reason people are made to feel guilty about things that taste good (and things that are high in calories.)

Now sugar, as a carb, is the devil for someone who has diabetes or similar issues.

As for artificial sweeteners, they're great for diabetics or for people who are watching their calories. I would rather have a 5 calorie soda than a 100+ one and spend those extras elsewhere.

Also,

The-Best-Red-Velvet-Cupcakes-Recipe-Devil-Halloween.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's some rule somewhere that says you can't post a picture of something wonderful without the recipe.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Its considered the main food for cancer. As a survivor, I'm more worried about artificial sweeteners myself.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Guinnness World Records rates the most common disease in the world being tooth decay. I don't know if you can soley blame sugar for worldwide obesity , but it sure is to blame for the other.
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't believe sugar is the devil:laugh: however it is very well hidden in a lot of foods under a lot of different titles, this isn't sugars fault, but it does mean most of us take in way too much sugar without realising it. People are so busy looking for low fat products their not paying attention to the sugar quantity. As long as things taste good they'll make the big companies money-cynical I know :ohwell:
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Its considered the main food for cancer. As a survivor, I'm more worried about artificial sweeteners myself.

I agree, especially aspartame, as an epileptic I stay well away from this product, the only sweetener I use is stevia(apparently a natural product)
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's not. No food or micro/macro is bad unless you have a health issue that results in problems when consuming too much of said nutrient.

i agree with above.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure there's some rule somewhere that says you can't post a picture of something wonderful without the recipe.

http://www.6bittersweets.com/2011/10/devilishly-delicious-best-red-velvet.html
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Because it looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfUzwpkHUWxzD--M0bdoBPWTIQ0_VB6GezArOGHJ1bU1Ne4n0x